This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New European Copyright Rules

As far as I know, this board has allowed members to post up to three paragraphs from an article with a link to the article. Europe appears to be shifting in what it deems allowable. I thought this might be of interest to this board. Furthermore, I have no idea how these new copyright rules will affect this board. Anyway, I referenced an article below.

Financial Times: European copyright rules: what happens now? (subscription required)

Brussels is ripping up its copyright rules. Everything from how video sites deal with copyright content to the rights of researchers to trawl through academic journals with software will be overhauled as part of the proposals coming out in September.

What is the biggest shift?

The European Commission will give news outlets the right to demand fees from aggregators such as Google News. Publishers will have so-called “neighbouring rights”, which will enable them to ask for a levy if an internet platform shows a snippet of their content.

Edited by Stecyk

If they consider us an aggregator because we have a Links section, because we only post English-language links, how this affects us will likely depend on whether Brexit happens.  We certainly could provide links without any quotes for English-language news sourced from Great Britain and Ireland.

Yes, Brexit might take a long, long time and might not ever happen. I agree, you should be able to post links without quotes. However, some of your members might accidentally post a quote with a link, not knowing that the rules have possibly changed.

If I spot anything else that provides more clarity, I will post that information here.

Edited by Stecyk

Financial Times: Web links to pirated content ruled unlawful. (subscription required)

Online publishers who knowingly link to illegally uploaded content are liable for copyright infringement, according to a European Court of Justice ruling that could have broad consequences for digital media.

The ruling, which marks the culmination of a five-year legal fight involving a Dutch blog, Playboy magazine and celebrity nude pictures, draws new lines around what has been a highly contested area of online copyright law.

Until now, Europe’s top court has tolerated the widespread practice of providing weblinks to unauthorised online content — whether films, pictures, video or text — concluding that this did not generally amount to a breach of copyright. Instead, the website that hosted the underlying content was liable.

Edited by Stecyk