This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sydney Opera House Renovation

From today's Links, Australian Ballet's David McAllister commented on the disruptions expected from the upcoming renos to the Sydney Opera House.

I don't remember if/how much government funds were contributed to Pacific Northwest Ballet and Seattle Opera during the seismic upgrades reconstruction of McCaw Hall in Seattle, and I've never known about the same for San Francisco Ballet and Opera during the seismic upgrades to War Memorial, but I hope he and his admins have contacted their colleagues whose companies  displaced for considerably longer and who suffered financially during these times.  Surely there are some transferrable best practices and lessons learned.

I know they also perform in Brisbane and maybe Perth in the past.  Perhaps they could extend the season and/or perform smaller rep in smaller venues in or just outside Sydney, since they wouldn't be cannibalizing their larger venue audiences.  San Francisco Ballet performed in two <1000-seat venues for most of their exile -- they had Zellerbach for the season-ender, if I'm remembering correctly -- and did a lot of mixed rep.  I saw almost every performance that season, working a great deal in the East Bay.

I'm embarrassed to say I don't remember what the details were about support for the ballet and the opera in Seattle when they were displaced during the opera house renovations.  They performed in a reconverted arena next door to their usual theater, which was a big help in terms of location (audience didn't have to find a new neighborhood, shift their parking/dining habits, etc), but I remember there was a great deal of confusion about seating inside the facility.  Lots of ushers, walking you to your seat.