This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

UPGRADE PHASE 1 IS OVER

Oh, yes; I am sure I will get the "hang" of it, eventually. It is as getting used to anything slightly different - one just has to keep at it. 

Helene, I was seeing every post in a thread extra - listed extra - instead of one "heading", where when I clicked on it took me to the last post. It does not appear to be so, now, so I am pleased about that. 

Thank you for helping so much!

Sometimes it is a semantics problem; I think that I probably do not use the correct terms to describe something. (this is even more pronounced in German in many different sites where one is told to use a "name" and a "special word" and a "password" and then a "user-word" - and one never knows just what is meant for each site.)  

-d-

Now that I've sorted out how to use the "My Activity Streams" options on the content tab, I'm actually pretty happy with the upgraded version. I've set up a custom "New Content" stream with the parameters of my choosing, bookmarked it, plunked it down on my "Favorites" page and am good to go. 

And again, many thanks to Helene for both handling the upgrade and fielding our concerns.

I don't know what you mean by the old daily forum page.  Our home page which lists all of the forums isn't change in that aspect.  The formatting of the Upcoming Events has changed, and I had to move an amazon box to the top right -- amazon no longer supports the widget that used to appear at the bottom, but the forum listing is the same.

If you had bookmarks to specific forums, they are likely broken. (I never had any forum-specific bookmarks, so I can't test to see if IPS made them backwards-compatible.) The format in the old software in the URL is different:

Example of Site News URL from BT4D:

http://dancers.invisionzone.com/index.php?showforum=158

Example of Site News URL from Ballet Alert!:

http://balletalert.invisionzone.com/index.php?/forum/87-about-this-site/

If your bookmark links are broken, you need to reset them by going to the home page -- you can click the logo -- finding the forum on the home page, clicking the name of the forum or subforum, and bookmarking the new link in your browser.  If you can't find the forum(s) you're looking for, post them here, and I'll help you find it/them.

I'm also happy with the custom stream I've set up and bookmarked. I've pretty much replicated the new-since-my-last-visit page by selecting the following parameters: 

show me - content items only
content types - topics
read status - everything + unread item links take me to the first unread comment
time period - any time (Only 25 items pop up on the first page, so I didn't see a need to restrict this.)
sorting - newest first (default)

I very much like the "expanded" view. I don't know whether the option was there before and I simply wasn't aware of it, but it's very helpful to be able to see a preview of the posts.

5 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

I'm also happy with the custom stream I've set up and bookmarked. I've pretty much replicated the new-since-my-last-visit page by selecting the following parameters: 

show me - content items only
content types - topics
read status - everything + unread item links take me to the first unread comment
time period - any time (Only 25 items pop up on the first page, so I didn't see a need to restrict this.)
sorting - newest first (default)

I very much like the "expanded" view. I don't know whether the option was there before and I simply wasn't aware of it, but it's very helpful to be able to see a preview of the posts.

I tried doing this too but it doesn't seem to "stick".

Here's what volcanohunter describes step-by-step -- and many thanks; I didn't even see that!:

"My Unread Content" is what I named a Custom Stream.  I selected it from My Activity Streams.

Next to custom stream titles are three icons:  a light gray circle with a pencil to edit the title, a rose colored circle with a trash can to delete the stream, and, circled in red, a light gray circle with a checkmark, to set as default.   For the system defaults, the little checkmark in the gray circle is the only option.

The circle in red to the right shows the system default, "Unread Content".

Snip20160817_6.png

After I click the gray circle with the check mark, it turns green, and to the right you can see that my site default is now "My Unread Content."

Snip20160817_4.png

Unchecking will reset the default to the system default (Unread Content).  Checking another stream title will override whatever is currently the default.

I've started a sub-forum called "Site Help FAQs" under "About This Site," with pinned topics by question:

http://balletalert.invisionzone.com/index.php?/forum/319-site-help-faqs/

The first three topics are:

What Are My Options to Change Customer Searches (Activity Streams)?

How Can I Change the Default "Quick" Search? (ex: Unread Content)

How Can I Limit Unread Content to Topics and Specific Forums?

I'll be adding topics as they are raised and as I discover things.

These are locked threads; if you have any questions about those threads, you can start another thread in that forum.