This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Melanie Hamrick and Mick Jagger are Expecting

Wow, just wow... BTW: Melanie Hamrick was scheduled in late June/early July to dance several roles in "The Sleeping Beauty" including the Sapphire Fairy and one of the Act I fairies. She was replaced by Paulina Waski as Sapphire and I forget who in the Act I variation. I had wondered if she was injured...

Melanie is corps de ballet - ABT didn't announce Polina Semionova's pregnancy and she is a prima ballerina. Usually you find that out through social media or public interviews with colleagues - Malakhov broke the news of Polina's bun in the oven.

Frankly, I think this will impede Melanie's progress at ABT where I think she had some potential to make soloist. She had some weakness in the footwork/ankles in the past but they were giving her solos nonetheless. She was looking stronger recently. Maybe this pregnancy signals a change of focus in her life and career.

BTW: check out this video of Melanie and Thomas Forster in the Act II "Swan Lake" pas de deux. What do you think? I think she has fine technique but no lyricism or musicality - the movements lack legato phrasing.

One of the articles I read (and now there are many such articles on the internet) stated that Melanie will not return to ABT, and she is contemplating whether she will move to Los Angeles (where Mick spends a lot of time) or Connecticut (where her family lives).

Yes, I agree with you, FauxPas, based on this clip her movements seem staccato and studied, not flowing and musical. Just wondering, what would be her chances of making soloist after being in the corps for 12 years? Have other women been promoted after so long in the corps?

Yes, I agree with you, FauxPas, based on this clip her movements seem staccato and studied, not flowing and musical. Just wondering, what would be her chances of making soloist after being in the corps for 12 years? Have other women been promoted after so long in the corps?

Yes Luciana Paris was made soloist after FOURTEEN years. She joined ABT as a corps dancer in 2001 and was promoted to soloist in 2015.

Luciana Paris was promoted to soloist last year after 14 years in the corps, so it's possible. But, my feeling is that management doesn't see her on that track. She's been dancing soloist/demi-soloist parts for years (and one of the principal roles in Les Sylphides), so I think if they were going to promote her (or were planning on it) they would have done it by now or at least given her juicier roles to see if she was up for it.

Edited to add: FauxPas, I guess we were typing at the same time!

Luciana Paris was promoted to soloist last year after 14 years in the corps, so it's possible. But, my feeling is that management doesn't see her on that track. She's been dancing soloist/demi-soloist parts for years (and one of the principal roles in Les Sylphides), so I think if they were going to promote her (or were planning on it) they would have done it by now or at least given her juicier roles to see if she was up for it.

Edited to add: FauxPas, I guess we were typing at the same time!

I'm sure she did not have a lot of coaching or prep time for this. It was done at a Competition. Still, she acquitted herself well and for someone who most likely has not danced this pas a lot, I think she was fine, if a bit tentative. Tom Forester also did well and I wish he would get more chances. It's doubtful ABT will give her a promotion after all this time, so perhaps it makes sense to her to begin a family. I've always enjoyed her time on stage and wish her well in her new "role".

I'm sure she did not have a lot of coaching or prep time for this. It was done at a Competition. Still, she acquitted herself well and for someone who most likely has not danced this pas a lot, I think she was fine, if a bit tentative. Tom Forester also did well and I wish he would get more chances. It's doubtful ABT will give her a promotion after all this time, so perhaps it makes sense to her to begin a family. I've always enjoyed her time on stage and wish her well in her new "role".

I think you meant to quote FauxPas as I was not referencing her White Swan pas....?

If she does decide not to return, I'll miss her. She never had the effortless-looking classical line of some dancers, but her energy and intensity made up for it....she really commands the stage in modern/contemporary rep. (Skylar Brandt reminds me of her in a lot of ways.)

I will also miss Melanie Hamrick. In her first year with the company, I spoke with her at a reception in L.A., and she told me that she was new to the company; she was truly lovely to talk to. (I also talked talked with Maria Riccetto, who was also equally approachable, unaffected, and a total joy.) I told Melanie that I would watch her particularly during the Giselle that I would be seeing, and I have since then always considered her my special ABT dancer that I would watch when she was on stage. I wish her great happiness in motherhood and in all she does.

I think he's starting to look a little silly at this point, but I'd be willing to look silly for those amounts of money, I expect. Music royalties are not what they once were, after all, and now there's another mouth to feed, so plenty of motivation to get out there and shake some senior citizen booty.

Actually when I said "credit" I was referring to the video on a FB page that I posted in the message, which shows him preparing for a performance and by which I was pretty impressed.

https://www.facebook.com/LePietreRotolanti/videos/1762230337389139/

By many accounts he is said to be a good father.

Oh yes--I saw the picture and knew that was what your were referring to...perhaps should have made that clearer.

By many accounts he is said to be a good father.

That is my understanding as well and as far as I know none of the various mommies have had to chase him down for child support. He seems to acknowledge all the babies graciously, in the Charles II manner.

The problem is that given Mick's age, it is highly unlikely that Mick will be alive to see the child reach its 18th birthday. The reality is that this child mayl have very few years to get to know it's father, and most of the work will rest in Melanie's hands. Additionally, while everyone seems to get along now, all it takes is a disputed will disagreement to throw controversy and delay into Melanie's share of the financial pie. I certainly hope Melanie is able to obtain a vast amount of support from Mick, and that Mick's will is ironclad and very clear. Unlke the other mommies of his kids,who I think were able to continue with modeling careers, it appears that Melanie's career as a ballerina is at an end.

Let’s hope that Hamrick has considered all of that.

There’s also the possibility that she could return to dancing post-pregnancy, even if not at ABT.

(It's wandering off topic, but under U.S. law Melanie's child could still inherit a significant sum even without specific mention in the will. Much depends on the language of the document.)