This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Can Someone Identify This Dancer?

Compare to this photo of Fonteyn:

http://www.quotationof.com/gallery/margot-fonteyn-2.jpg.html

It's possible that her position, and the lighting, are distorting her features. She may be pretty young (and have more "baby fat") in your photo too. Fonteyn had very dark brown hair, and a quite low hair line, but those aren't ruled out by your photo.

Apparently Fonteyn had a couple of "nose jobs":

https://themakingofmarkova.com/2013/06/06/nose-job-no-way/

This photo being "a hand numbered edition of 125 and archive stamped", you may well be able to request authentication if you are interested. Often the photographer keeps notes of where and when (and of who) the photo was taken.

In the background there is a piece of scenery etc. that's labeled "Royal Ballet". I don't think it's Beriosova and I'm sure it's not Maryon Lane, Anya Linden, Rowena Jackson - the list goes on. The photo is being sold by a dealer on line (but I'm not buying it, I'm just obsessing a little to find out who she is)... thanks everyone -

In the background there is a piece of scenery etc. that's labeled "Royal Ballet". I don't think it's Beriosova and I'm sure it's not Maryon Lane, Anya Linden, Rowena Jackson - the list goes on. The photo is being sold by a dealer on line (but I'm not buying it, I'm just obsessing a little to find out who she is)... thanks everyone -

This doesn't look like Fonteyn to me either. Violetta Elvin? June Brae? Sadler's Wells became "Royal" in 1956, so it's possible that scenery would be marked that way. But if this is early 50s, then no, it wouldn't' have the "Royal" on it's scenery.

I also wonder whether it may be a lesser known member of the company.

She resembles Pamela May a bit to me, but as she retired in 1952, this might mean the photo is from the tour in 1949? In 1949, Pamela May was about 32.

Pamela May was blond.