This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2017 Met Season Prediction

Based on an app devised by a Silicon Valley engineer friend, with data from the past 40 Met seasons, and also scanning current internet information, the app predicts the following 2017 Met season:

Onegin

Giselle

Swan Lake

Sleeping Beauty

Don Q

R & J

The Golden Cockerel (1/2 week)

Schlagobers (2 acts full length with music by Richard Strauss)

If the prediction is correct, the remaining 1/2 week will probably be mixed reps.

Based on an app devised by a Silicon Valley engineer friend, with data from the past 40 Met seasons, and also scanning current internet information, the app predicts the following 2017 Met season:

Onegin

Giselle

Swan Lake

Sleeping Beauty

Don Q

R & J

The Golden Cockerel (1/2 week)

Schlagobers (2 acts full length with music by Richard Strauss)

If the prediction is correct, the remaining 1/2 week will probably be mix reps.

Thanks for this. I bet that tickets to SCHLAGOBERS will sell like hot cakes! At least it's not another Alice or Peter Pan.

I'm wondering if the Silicon valley geniuses know anything about the fall 2016 season - or at least when it will be announced. I have been asking the volunteers at the Friends table at the Met and reportedly the season will open October 19 at Koch, but that's all anybody seems to know. I'm hoping there are no plans for a revival of The Tempest, probably the worst Ratmansky I've ever seen! But I wouldn't mind seeing Bright Stream again.

Schlagobers translates to Whipped Cream. Anyone have a clue what this is about?

My personal prediction: Copeland will debut as Giselle.

We've lost 2 of our Tatiana's since the last run of Onegin. Wonder who they will pick. Stellaaaaaa.

Schlagobers translates to Whipped Cream. Anyone have a clue what this is about?

My personal prediction: Copeland will debut as Giselle.

I wonder if Ratmansky wants to try the Strauss. The music was apparently written to be a ballet, but there's only the vaguest reference to a ballet in the 1920s in Vienna. I can't find other evidence that it's been choreographed before, at least with a quick Google. This would be quite a departure for Ratmansky from his usual Russian music.

http://www.allmusic.com/composition/schlagobers-ballet-op-70-trv-243-mc0002378518

Gillian did Giselle in New Zealand. I wonder if she'll ever get to do it at ABT.

I'm wondering if the Silicon valley geniuses know anything about the fall 2016 season - or at least when it will be announced. I have been asking the volunteers at the Friends table at the Met and reportedly the season will open October 19 at Koch, but that's all anybody seems to know. I'm hoping there are no plans for a revival of The Tempest, probably the worst Ratmansky I've ever seen! But I wouldn't mind seeing Bright Stream again.

This schedule will be wonderful, following right on the heels of NYCB. I think ABT looks so much better at the Koch than at the Met, esp. in mixed bills. Looking forward to whatever they choose!

I would love to see Part at Tatiana and as Giselle, but I don't think it's going happen. I think we may get Kochetkova as Giselle. She is now Herman's "go to" partner. Since Boylston now dominates the rep, I think she may get a Giselle. Wait, just remembered she already has done Giselle at ABT, so Boylston will definitely get one.

Hoping that Lendorf can actually appear with the company sometime soon.

What about Manon? Kochetkova has danced the bedroom Pas de Deux at SFB. Simenova has danced it. That'd leave room for one or two debuts. Fingers crossed it would be Stella over Bolyston or Seo. Also Vishneva would probably dance it too. I'm thinking she could be winding down her appearances at ABT. Perhaps a retirement next year? If so, I'd imagine they'd have a significant number of ballets for her to dance. I think Manon would be a better bet than another run of R&J, unless Vishneva plans to retire.

Also, thoughts on Raymonda or Corsaire? I think Corsaire might reappear, perhaps another round of new costumes. If Ratmanksy hasn't taken a stab at Raymonda, it would be a good and safe opportunity for a new production or importing his existing production. It would sell a lot better than an unknown ballet. Swan Lakw could also use a revamp. I'd be interested to see if they just get new costumes and sets for their existing production, or look for a totally new production. If they go the new production route, they could bring in Ratmansky's existing reconstruction production. However, it seems unlikely that they'd have two reconstructions (sleeping beauty) in their rep. So I'd think it would be safer to say new sets and costumes on the existing production. When I saw the performance on Monday, I thought the sets/costumes looked dated, very early 2000s.

If Don Q comes back, I predict a debut for Skylar Brandt as Kitri. She's a real spit-fire and she has incredible turns.

And, if Cassandra Trenery continues her successful command of more leading and demanding roles (I suspect she will), I also predict another big debut for her too - maybe Giselle.

If Don Q comes back, I predict a debut for Skylar Brandt as Kitri. She's a real spit-fire and she has incredible turns.

And, if Cassandra Trenery continues her successful command of more leading and demanding roles (I suspect she will), I also predict another big debut for her too - maybe Giselle.

I'm not sure how many Giselle slots there will be. My guess is that Copeland gets a go, before Cassandra. Don't forget that Stella will almost certainly fill one of the slots vacated by recent retirements. Maybe Copeland and Simkin in the Wednesday Afternoon slot

I'm not sure how many Giselle slots there will be. My guess is that Copeland gets a go, before Cassandra. Don't forget that Stella will almost certainly fill one of the slots vacated by recent retirements. Maybe Copeland and Simkin in the Wednesday Afternoon slot

I agree if a choice has to be made, it would certainly be Copeland over Trenary. But, I'm guessing that if they do 8 performances of Giselle (a full week including 2 matinees) and there are 7 female principals who do the role or who would debut (Abrera, Boylston, Copeland, Kochetkova?, Semionova, Seo, Vishneva) then there'd be room for one more debut, unless someone gets to do it twice (Vishneva probably).

I think we should add to the predictions list whether or not David Hallberg will return.

I agree if a choice has to be made, it would certainly be Copeland over Trenary. But, I'm guessing that if they do 8 performances of Giselle (a full week including 2 matinees) and there are 7 female principals who do the role or who would debut (Abrera, Boylston, Copeland, Kochetkova?, Semionova, Seo, Vishneva) then there'd be room for one more debut, unless someone gets to do it twice (Vishneva probably).

I think we should add to the predictions list whether or not David Hallberg will return.

ABT will be in trouble if Hallberg doesn't return. Gomes has been noticably scaling back his roles. It has almost surprised me how rapidly he is scaling back. I don't see Hallberg returning at the same rigor as he was at before. Meaning he won't perform as often as he previously did. I doubt he would just disappear without a retirement performance, etc. I think the emphases will be split between emotional ballets and technically demanding ballets. I think the company has two clear ranks, young dancers up to the demands of ballets such as Corsaire, Don Q etc. They also have Abrera, Vishneva, Part, etc who excel at more emotionally charged ballets. I think Hallberg will tradition away from technically demanding roles. I wouldn't be surprised if they make a high-profile principal male dancer hire, should Hallberg not return. Ideas on who? It would need to be a tall male who is "highly technically and artistically" proficient.

Or IF Semionova returns! Personally, I don't see Misty as a Giselle. A Myrta would be a better choice for her skills. (oh, I forgot, she doesn't jump all that well ) I think Trenary would be a splendid Giselle.

Yes to Raymonda! Please!

In my opinion the return of Golden Cockerel is highly unlikely. Remember, the costumes and sets belong to the Royal Danish Ballet, and except for Misty's showings, it sold horribly.

Will ABT ever perform Ratmansky's reconstruction of Swan Lake? That's something I'd like to see, but I'm not sure of the politics there.

Less of a prediction, and more of a wild, premature wish, but I'd like to see a Hurlin/ Royal Giselle.

And I know I'm in the minority here, and it might fit better at the Koch, but insofar as Ratmanksy works, I'd love to see "On the Dnieper" revived (with better lighting). It would fit nicely with some Tudor. (I missed "Judgement of Paris" when they revived it, so that's high on my Tudor list.) I'd also like to see Ashton's "Les Patineurs" someday.

I thought that they would eventually pick up Ratmansky's Paquita. Guess not.

ABT already invested so much money in training 4 casts for Golden Cockerel that they almost have to bring it back, regardless of whether anyone shows up to see it.

Not predictions, but thoughts: a couple of years ago Ratmansky did a Richard Strauss Ballet for the Semperoper ballet. I didn't see it, but it would be interesting if he were to return to Strauss in future.

I actually can picture Copeland as Giselle more easily than I can picture her as Myrtha. (I bow to no-one in my love of a Giselle with a high-flying jump, but romantic style and dramatic pathos are still more important to the ballet and, based on her Lise, I think she has the chops for those.)

I also very much hope next season has big opportunities for Trenary, Brandt, and Teuscher.

Loved the Ratmansky Sleeping Beauty but am not a convert to reconstruction purism and would just as soon the company kept some of its classics in a traditional vein. I was rather hoping, though, for ABT to acquire the Ratmansky Paquita reconstruction, since that is not a ballet we typically get to see at all.

Whatever the box office issues, I would be sad to see next year's ABT spring/summer season completely without Ashton whether in a mixed program or a return for half a week of Fille.

And may the ballet gods send healing energies to David Hallberg and bring him back to the stage.