This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The Bolshoi under Vaziev

2 hours ago, Quinten said:

Could it be that the Russian site has much more information?

You are right - the Russian site normally has much more info and/or info is posted earlier on the Russian site - it took one month for the new ticket sale conditions to be posted in English. However casting info is normally posted simultaneously.

On 3/20/2018 at 5:36 PM, volcanohunter said:

Elvina Ibraimova, one of the corps members Vaziev was pushing into prominence, has abruptly resigned from the Bolshoi, apparently to join the Bavarian State Ballet.

Ibraimova is now officially "first soloist" at Bayerische Staatsballett, joining her joint 2013 Moscow Competition top prizewinner Ksenia Rijkova (principal) who Zelensky had brought with him from Stasik.  https://www.staatsoper.de/en/staatsballett/ensemble.html#c6061

Edited by mnacenani
9 hours ago, mnacenani said:

Please don't write back saying her PdB is not this and that, and she has hard hands etc - don't care one bit. For me ballet is danced drama and I care about the total effect, characterisation first and foremost.

😊

Saw a brief video clip of Ekaterina Krysanova's final act.

Hands -- Lovely !

Her Pd'One -- Lovely !

She's at her Mariinsky best and I love her that way.

Now back to drama.

Glad that you enjoyed it all so much.

3 hours ago, Buddy said:

She's at her Mariinsky best and I love her that way.

Regarding Kyrsanova, you must've meant her "Bolshoi" best.  

9 hours ago, Quinten said:

Dreaminess may be one of the attributes of a Mariinsky ballerina, but it is not sufficient in and of itself.  Krysanova for all her virtues lacks the Vaganova epaulement that characterizes traditional Mariinsky dancers.  

She does?  Then please don't tell me. 😊

Quinten, I believe that we each have our idea about what is most important. For me, it's the effect. Mnacenani has said the same thing but  from a different emphasis. If a ballerina looks beautiful to me I don't necessarily care why. Technique is a way of producing such beauty, but for me it's only a part and I don't think that there's real agreement anyway about what the best way is. I think that I know what epaulement is and appreciate it as I see it. If you find a certain manner to be most pleasing to you then I'm glad.  

13 hours ago, Quinten said:

Dreaminess may be one of the attributes of a Mariinsky ballerina, but it is not sufficient in and of itself.  Krysanova for all her virtues lacks the Vaganova epaulement that characterizes traditional Mariinsky dancers.  Many admire other Mariinsky dancers who also lack Vaganova epaulement (and there are more of them all the time), so it's not surprising there is some confusion about what a true Mariinsky dancer looks like.  

Krysanova is FAR from being a Mariinsky or Vaganova trained ballerina.  She's Bolshoi through and through... 

14 minutes ago, MadameP said:

Krysanova is FAR from being a Mariinsky or Vaganova trained ballerina.  She's Bolshoi through and through...

Vishnyova got me hooked but Krysanova, Alexandrova, Kaptsova and now the young generation Vaziev is nurturing plus the current crop of Bolshoy male leads for whom (imho) Mariinka has no match will keep me firmly attached to the Bolshoy in this lifetime. There seems to be a different, higher energy level at Bolshoy ...... and they have a lift going up to the top floor cafe-bar .... "Gesamtkunstwerk !"  :P

17 minutes ago, mnacenani said:

and they have a lift going up to the top floor cafe-bar .... "Gesamtkunstwerk !"  :P

And for those of us who don't drink, we have to rely totally on the performance. No problem. I've done it many times with the Bolshoi.

4 hours ago, Quinten said:

...I say, vive la difference between the two styles.  It's not a zero sum game.

I don’t begrudge anyone their preferences, but absolutely - :shake: .

Edited by Drew
1 hour ago, Gnossie said:

An outrage if Khokhlova gets the Coppelia broadcast (and so would be if Krysanova gets it) 

It SHOULD be Stashkevich, one of only 3 dancers (and the only one dancing it in this run) in the company who is stylistically, aesthetically, musically and technically suited to dance Swanilda. 

Мы увидим !  (we shall see !)  😉😉

23 hours ago, Gnossie said:

An outrage if Khokhlova gets the Coppelia broadcast (and so would be if Krysanova gets it) 

It SHOULD be Stashkevich, one of only 3 dancers (and the only one dancing it in this run) in the company who is stylistically, aesthetically, musically and technically suited to dance Swanilda. 

Yes to this.

Edited by Lam
On 3/8/2018 at 7:19 AM, naomikage said:

Oh lovely! Hope your tickets are for her performance. I recognized Jane's post after I posted this.

Alexandrova and Lantratov are to perform in the World Ballet Festival in Tokyo this August, and they are also guesting in a full-length Don Quixote with Tokyo Ballet in Osaka (as a part of this festival) 

Follow up to my earlier post: I bought tickets for the ENB Sleeping Beauty in October -- I will be in London just a week during dates dictated by Mr. Drew's work schedule--and chose the Sleeping Beauty date in particular based on the fact there was no Swan Lake at the Royal Opera House that night. Well...casts have been announced and (barring untoward and unexpected events) I will be seeing Alexandrova! I know the reservations that could be expressed about her Aurora and in a British Sleeping Beauty at that--the ENB's Cojocaru is in fact my all time favorite Aurora--but I am plenty excited. I think this will be a treat.

Spitting over my shoulder to ward off the evil eye. (I keep saying there should be an emoticon for that...)

Edited by Drew
23 minutes ago, Drew said:

. . . I bought tickets for the ENB Sleeping Beauty in October -- . . .  Well...casts have been announced and (barring untoward and unexpected events) I will be seeing Alexandrova! I know the reservations that could be expressed about her Aurora and in a British Sleeping Beauty at that--the ENB's Cojocaru is in fact my all time favorite Aurora--but I am plenty excited.

Lucky you! She'll be partnered by Aaron Robison, missed by many of us from North America. Wish I could get there, but doesn't work with my schedule.

12 hours ago, Drew said:

Follow up to my earlier post: I bought tickets for the ENB Sleeping Beauty in October -- I will be in London just a week during dates dictated by Mr. Drew's work schedule--and chose the Sleeping Beauty date in particular based on the fact there was no Swan Lake at the Royal Opera House that night. Well...casts have been announced and (barring untoward and unexpected events) I will be seeing Alexandrova! I know the reservations that could be expressed about her Aurora and in a British Sleeping Beauty at that--the ENB's Cojocaru is in fact my all time favorite Aurora--but I am plenty excited. I think this will be a treat.

Spitting over my shoulder to ward off the evil eye. (I keep saying there should be an emoticon for that...)

I consider this production far superior to the RB's,  Cojocaru will be dancing in this version for the first time I think.  Company ballerina Erina Takahashi is an exquisite Aurora and beautiful Shiori Kase should be outstanding too.  A bit disappointed Alexandrova isn't bringing Lantratov with her though,

22 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

There is a "get a room!" quality to Alexandrova's performances with Lantratov that I think would be distracting in Sleeping Beauty. However, later this week audiences in Perm will get the opportunity to see it.

https://permopera.ru/playbills/playbill/79831/

Would love to overcome the logistics and see ballet in Perm. Osipova also guests there, danced Juliet twice last season. Will try connecting via Spb next season. Can't visualise my beloved Masha as Avrora but who knows.

8 minutes ago, Mashinka said:

"Get a room quality"?  I'd call it chemistry. makes a change from those dancers that barely acknowledge their partners.

Re chemistry : I have high hopes for Salenko & Simkin in Berlin next season, could make up for the rest of the troupe.

58 minutes ago, Mashinka said:

"Get a room quality"?  I'd call it chemistry. makes a change from those dancers that barely acknowledge their partners.

I've seen plenty of stage partners with chemistry. I've seen plenty of off-stage couples performing together on stage, too, and their chemistry is often more intense. But I can't recall another on-stage/off-stage couple that interpolates kisses on the mouth into the choreography. It comes across as vulgar, and not especially spontaneous, especially if they do it exactly the same way each time. Just over a week ago I saw Alexandrova and Lantratov dance the Don Q pas de deux four times, and the "chemistry" was choreographed to the millisecond: press lift, fish, come back to vertical, kiss on the mouth, I'm sorry to say it felt contrived, and it wasn't very tasteful.