This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

A new VAI video is out called, "Maria Tallchief; complete Bell Telephone Hour Performances."

Contents:

Adagio from "Scotch Symphony" with Andre Eglevsky

Grand Pas de Deux from Don Quixote with Eric Bruhn

Pas de Deux from Flower Festival in Genzano with Rudolf Nureyev (already out on the Bell Telephone Hour Nureyev tape)

Allegro Brillante with Nicolas Magallanges (and NYCB corps)

"Balcony Scene" pas de deux from Romeo and Juliet with Conrad Ludlow.

It was priced for $29.95 at Tower Records but was on sale for $5 less.

WOW its so exciting!! My mum was born and bread on her and ive her so much about her and necer seen her dance!! we live in london so we hardly hear anything about the original american dancers!! found the video in the ROH shop and i was ecstatic. My birthdays in a few weeks so my mum is giving to me then but id love tpo her anyones thoughts on it!

That is exciting, not only because of the repertory and casts, but because all the Bell Telephone Hour clips I've seen in archives have fine television directing that lets you see the dancing! I've ordered mine from our (ahem!) sponsor, Amazon.com, by using the link in the banner ad at the top of the page. (Those who want to know more about how this helps us should read Alexandra's post on the Ballet Alert! Online forum.) Amazon has similar prices to those Dale mentioned (except I had to pay $3.99 shipping). So, thank you, Dale!

[ November 17, 2001: Message edited by: Jack Reed ]

more tallchiefiana on the way, it would seem, given proper 'releases'/clearance: according to a source connected w/ VAI, there is a second tape in the offing and should be on the market as soon as all the permissions are signed/sealed and delivered. these are the CBC kinescopes of MTallchief in 3 segments: "LesSylphides" Pas de Deux w/ Royes Fernandez;

"Pas de Dix" w/ Andre Eglevsky and

"Swan Lake" Act2 pas de deux, also w/ Eglevsky (the rough cut i've seen would seem to be the standard 1950s ivanov version, not balanchine's version, made esp. for tallchief; dates not now available, but all 1950s vintage, i should think.

(might even be out by xmas, if things go smoothly)

[ November 17, 2001: Message edited by: rg ]