This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Almost 40% of dancers to leave Pennsylvania Ballet

I saw this ballet last night. I am not equipped to comment on how close this performance was to Balanchine's vision but I did see Kyra Nichols in the audience. I thought Oksana was lovely. Lillian was beautiful.I thought the corps looked very good. I thought the whole thing was georgeous. I have not experienced this ballet live before. I have only seen the full ballet on video of NYC ballet with Martins, Mazzo, Bonnefoux, Aroldengin, maybe Leland. They never took their hair down in that video. Does anyone know when the hair down was added? I've seen photos and clips with it down a lot. I really enjoyed watching Oksana and Francis' pas in Neenan's piece, Lauren and Ana were entertaining. The last ballet by Liam scarlet was captivating. I especially liked watching Amy and Ian. When watching "4 Russian girls" and "four couples" my eye was drawn to Laura Bowman. It was a good night for me and I am looking forward to seeing it again on Sunday.

What a fascinating article, Its the Mom. I'm impressed at how much Balanchine thought and re-thought Serenade throughout his life. It seems like some(?) (many?) modern choreographers do not revise their work when it returns. Is this true? I've seen Justin Peck's Everywhere We Go multiple times and while it has such high energy(!), each time I see it I wish he would edit it down and refine it.

I just noticed on PA Ballet's Facebook page it says that Laura Bowman is retiring. I'm sorry to see that. I found her delightful and enjoyed watching her this season. I won't get to see her perform since her last show will be this Saturday's matinee and I won't be going until Sunday. She will be dancing The Third Theme in George Balanchine's The Four Temperaments.

I saw today's performance. I am probably not qualified to write a formal review, but here is how I, just a lay person who enjoys watching dance, saw it. Although Adagio Hammerklavier was a little slow for my taste, I thought it was well danced with nice lines. All three couples were entertaining. I always enjoy watching Ana. Misa was beautiful. It was the first time I saw Adrianna De Svatisch dance and I could tell she was no stranger to the stage. I did not know where she came from, but a quick internet search lead me to believe she was once a PA Ballet company member. I wonder if this means that she left the company and has come back, or if she is merely a guest.

The second piece O Zlozony O Composite may have been a little over my head. Three strong, beautiful dancers Lillian, Ian and Aaron, with a background of stars were engrossing at first, but the spoken lyrics were a distraction to me; most likely because I did not understand them. I was impressed with the interesting lifts, but my mind sometimes wondered as the lyrics were meaningless to me so it felt a bit long. I do feel like if I understood the words, that may have helped keep me connected. I prefer music.

Varied Trio was danced by Mayara and Jermel. They are gorgeous to look at when they are standing still, and delightfully charming with movement. The piece was well danced, entertaining, and fun, this one withstood the test of my ADHD.

The 4 T's was great. Amy Aldridge killed it; the entire ensemble was good. This was a first for me and I loved it. My favorite theme was the first one danced by Evekyn Kocak and Edward Barnes. My theater guest said it was her favorite of the 4 pieces danced. She had seen it before.

I could not choose a favorite, it was between the last two pieces. They were very different, and I liked both pieces for different things. I loved the playful choreography and music of Varied Trio, but then, a large Balanchine production with all those patterns and lines is quite captivating.

I saw today's performance . . . here is how I, just a lay person who enjoys watching dance, saw it.[ ....]

I could not choose a favorite, it was between the last two pieces. They were very different, and I liked both pieces for different things. I loved the playful choreography and music of Varied Trio, but then, a large Balanchine production with all those patterns and lines is quite captivating.

Thanks for your comments on the performance. Four Temperaments is one of my favorite Balanchine works. (I have never seen Varied Trio.)

I wonder who will be leading the Pa Ballet School Summer Intensive? Mr. Corella will not be there. He will be teaching at his school in Spain - with Paloma Herrara. https://www.facebook.com/events/739003092902579/

They are advertising that Corella will be teaching in Pennsylvania. I would guess that many students selected this program because of that.

https://paballet.org/summer_intensive - See "overview" tab.

Perhaps he will be flying back and forth.

confusing.

The link reads "Our Summer Intensive faculty includes, Artistic Director Angel Corella, Ballet Mistress Kyra Nichols, School Director Arantxa Ochoa, plus the School's remarkable roster of permanent faculty members, and world renown special guests."

But Mr. Corella will be in Spain and will Ms. Ochoa be in Miami?

The link does specifically state "For advanced students and young professionals ages 16 and above, the Summer Intensive is followed by the Company Experience which consists of a full week of professional ballet training. Classes would be taught by Artistic Director, Angel Corella and artistic staff of Pennsylvania Ballet and would include daily workshops to learn pieces from the Company's repertoire.

So it seems that for the "Company Experience" (1st week of August), Mr. Corella will be there teaching.

Arantxa is not leaving until after the intensive - that was made clear in the letter we received from Mr. Gray. And yes, Angel teaches and runs the Company Experience.

I have to say, as the parent of a student at the school this is a heavy heavy blow. Arantxa is the heart and soul of the school, and her students love her like a second mother. Classes ended last week, and for the students (like my daughter) who are going elsewhere for summer intensives they will not get a chance to say goodbye. They are broken-hearted. I have no idea what things will look like going forward.