This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SF Ballet 2016: Program 6

Casting for the first week of Program 6:

Program 6 - Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 7:30pm—Opening Night

PRISM

Composer: Ludwig van Beethoven

Choreographer: Helgi Tomasson

Conductor: Martin West

Piano: Roy Bogas

Sasha De Sola, Vitor Luiz, Carlos Quenedit*

Sofiane Sylve, Luke Ingham*

Taras Domitro

SEVEN SONATAS

SF Ballet Premiere

Composer: Domenico Scarlatti

Choreographer: Alexei Ratmansky

Pianist: Mungunchimeg Buriad

Mathilde Froustey*, Joseph Walsh*

Frances Chung*, Gennadi Nedvigin*

Vanessa Zahorian*, Davit Karapetyan*

RUSH©

Composer: Bohuslav Martinů

Choreography: Christopher Wheeldon

Lauren Strongin, Francisco Mungamba*

Jahna Frantziskonis*, Max Cauthorn*

Maria Kochetkova*, Joan Boada

Program 6 - Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 7:30pm

PRISM

Sasha De Sola, Vitor Luiz, Carlos Quenedit

Sofiane Sylve, Luke Ingham

Taras Domitro

SEVEN SONATAS

SF Ballet Premiere

Mathilde Froustey, Joseph Walsh

Frances Chung, Gennadi Nedvigin

Vanessa Zahorian, Davit Karapetyan

RUSH©

Lauren Strongin, Francisco Mungamba

Jahna Frantziskonis, Max Cauthorn

Maria Kochetkova, Joan Boada

Program 6 - Friday, April 08, 2016 - 8pm

PRISM

Vanessa Zahorian, Vitor Luiz, Carlos Quenedit

Yuan Yuan Tan, Tiit Helimets

Taras Domitro

SEVEN SONATAS

Lorena Feijóo*, Carlos Quenedit*

Dores André*, Vitor Luiz*

Sofiane Sylve*, Carlo Di Lanno*

RUSH©

Jahna Frantziskonis, Max Cauthorn

Maria Kochetkova, Joan Boada

Program 6 - Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 2pm

PRISM

Mathilde Froustey*, Carlo Di Lanno*, Henry Sidford*

Yuan Yuan Tan, Tiit Helimets

Francisco Mungamba*

SEVEN SONATAS

Lorena Feijóo, Carlos Quenedit

Dores André, Vitor Luiz

Sofiane Sylve, Carlo Di Lanno

RUSH©

Koto Ishihara, Wei Wang*

Sasha De Sola*, Luke Ingham*

In the event of injury or illness, casting is subject to change.

*Premiere in ballet

- See more at: https://www.sfballet.org/tickets/casting#sthash.8cu2Gl7e.dpuf

I saw the Sun matinee performance of this after a Sat pm Program 7 performance, and I have to say, I really liked this one. I would have thought it might prove a little underwhelming after Program 7's "Countenance of Kings" and "Theme and Variations," etc, but it really suited me. The costumes were so much more appealing (Sat pm's "T&V" aside), the orchestra sounded great, and I liked seeing the pianist onstage for Ratmansky's "Seven Sonatas" versus in the pit, the way it had been for Wheeldon's "Continuum" on Sat pm.

Really enjoyed Tomasson's "Prism." Francisco Mungamba was given the role of the solo man in the 3rd movement, and he was quite exciting to watch. Still a young dancer, obviously, but wow, some real potential there. He seemed to have that crucial ability to fill a stage with his body language and presentation (did that make sense?). I've really been enjoying the way Helgi's using corps dancers in soloist roles this season - or maybe I missed out on it over the last two years because I've been seeing the first cast perform. Wei Wang's another one who's more than ready to move up to soloist - I'm hoping to see one of these guys, if not both, get a promotion for next season.

I quite enjoyed Wheeldon's "Rush," more than I thought I would. (Probably to make up for the fact that I enjoyed Saturday night's "Continuum" less than I thought I would.) Gorgeous costumes. Again, while the program lacks a high octane piece like "Countenance of Kings," I found the end result to be more satisfying on Sunday. This is the first time I've gotten to see two programs back-to-back in this way. What a luxury!

After the boisterousness of Justin Peck's new work and Christopher Wheeldon's ingredient-driven Continuum, it was so nice to enter the quiet world of Alexei Ratmansky's Seven Sonatas. Especially with the second cast - Lorena Feijoo, Carlos Quenedit, Dores Andre, Vitor Luiz, Sofiane Sylve & Carlo Di Lanno - when it really shone (like alabaster).

So many wonderful combinations for solos, duos and threes, each group doubling the gestures of the others. Some things seem like parodies - a male Swan Lake-like pas de trois by three men - a man wheeling around the turning couple as in Lifar's Suite en Blanc - a funny lopsided walk by Vitor Luiz after something more serious. Solos of self definition, couples testing each other, the group involved in high jinks or suddenly felled by some mysterious force. Near the beginning the three men sit palms down flat to the stage floor, like stone temple figures, and at the end they assume the same positions, now guarding their partners who sleep just beneath them.

Prism seemed like Balanchine without the meaning or bite (borrowed from Chaconne and the Sanguinic section of the 4Ts), except the last scene when a dancer in black (once Gonzalo Garcia's role, now retailored for Taras Domitro) wildly threads himself, like a basting stitch, through the body of the pastel colored ballet. Finally at rest he gives a benediction to the dancers, slowly looks up to the protective proscenium, and then meets the audience with his gaze.