This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Thirded. I hope this is as good as it sounds. Thank you, Mme. Hermine, I didn't know about this!

La Streep really can sing, as many of you already know, I'm sure. One of her best moments ever is her wonderful period rendering of "He's Me Pal" in the otherwise misbegotten Ironweed. (If ever there was a book less suited to translation to cinema......)

My only reservation is that Streep by now is a bit old for the part. I don't know what years the movie will cover, though.

I had to check that too, the Wiki page says she started giving concerts or recitals at age 44 and died, still active, at age 76. In fact, it says this:

At the age of 76 she finally yielded to public demand and performed at Carnegie Hall on October 25, 1944.

And Meryl Streep can sing! I'd never heard of Ironweed, thanks!

Hmmm. Streep looks great, but I don't think she could pass for mid-forties on the screen. It may not matter, though.

Thanks for posting the Ironweed video link, Mme. Hermine, I didn’t have time to do that. DO NOT see the movie before reading the book, though.

Streep also does a country-and-western number in Postcards from the Edge and she leads a rock band in Ricki and the Flash, unseen by me. And of course, Into the Woods and Mamma Mia. Onstage she did Mother Courage. I guess the only things left are rap and hip-hop.

Now that I think about it, she might have been a great Mama Rose (?)