This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Washington Ballet New Artistic Director

Wow! Didn't see this one coming. I thought she was working with the JKO school. Congratulations to Julie and her husband.

Yes, Big surprise. Happy for both. Just a wild thought. What are the odds that Sarah Lane might jump ship for Foggy Bottom?

I was personally wondering why Julie Kent wasn't tapped as a full-time ballet mistress at ABT to replace Susan Jaffe and the late Georgina Parkinson. Kolpakova is in her eighties and is cutting back though she seems indestructible. The JKO School Summer Intensive seemed kind of small potatoes for her. We don't know if Julie is giving up that position or if Victor Barbee is leaving his position of associate artistic director at ABT. Anyway, congratulations to both of them!

Yes, Big surprise. Happy for both. Just a wild thought. What are the odds that Sarah Lane might jump ship for Foggy Bottom?

Wow! Never thought of that or for that matter whom else will follow....!!! On a side note, I started this feed but it seems there is another feed under Washington Ballet, so if anyone else wants to continue with responses, it might be better suited under that feed since this news pertains to Washington Ballet more than under ABT?!

Sarah Lane's husband is a real estate broker in Jersey City. It's the same company that Eric Tamm works for. For those out of town ballet alert readers, Jersey City is a few minutes away from Manhattan. It is very easy to live in Manhattan and commute to Northern New Jersey for work. I think the odds of Sarah joining Washington Ballet are slim.

I think we might see an increase in ABT dancers coming into the Washington Ballet as guest artists. Last season we had Xiomara Reyes in Sleepy Hollow and a few years ago David Hallberg guested in La Sylphide.

Don't forget Copeland and her Swan Lake debut last year.