This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Holly Dorger promoted to principal dancer.

Tonight (27.02.2016) Holly Dorger was promoted to principal dancer after an absolutely incredible and breath-taking performance of Theme and Variations.

Nikolaj Hübbe came on stage after the second round of curtain call and told the audience that tonight was a very special night for the RDB as a promotion to principal dancer among the dancers on stage was about to take place. Continuing, he described the still unnamed Dorger as a true prima ballerina, a star who shone and a diamond who had sparkled on stage tonight. He was very touched and noted how he'd known her since she was 14 years old. At this point, Dorger's face lit up. Hübbe presented her with a staggering bouquet of dusty pink roses and led her forward to receive a standing, ten-minute round of applause and cheering. Everybody (and the house was basically sold out) were on their feet and showering her in a lot of support.

Dorger herself was all smiles and looked extremely happy. Besides bowing and kneeling, she extended one fist in the air in an obvious sign of victory which was very moving considering her recent injury. When one of the roses with the silk bands fell to the floor, she picked it up and gave it to Ulrik Birkkjær who'd partnered her with great skill and care.

I was very honoured to witness this and just so happy to see Dorger get this much-deserved promotion. She is an amazing dancer with a strong technique (those TURNS), beautiful feet and a lovely stage presence. Her big doe-like eyes make her impossible to overlook, no matter where she is on stage.

She is a perfect addition to the principal ballerina ranks at the RDB and I can't wait to see what awaits her in the future.

I think what I really enjoy about Holly is how she always manages to present a perfect blend of technique and dramatics. In story ballets like Swan Lake and Lady of the Camellias, her portrayal of Odette/Odile and Prudence respectively was both technically secure and dramatically coherent. I'll even admit that amongst the Danish dancers I've seen as Prudence (Amy Watson, Kizzy Matiakis and Holly), Holly's was my favourite. She reminded me a lot of Dorothee Gilbert in the POB DVD and was definitely a highlight in her cast. Her Odette was great and none of the other Odiles I saw nailed the fouettes with such superiority.

At the same time, I also love how she always brings such warmth, charm and and palpable presence to the pyrotechnical pieces. Her performance yesterday in Theme and Variations was not only glorious, it was in a league of its own! With such dreamy gentleness, she delivered a sharp and polished show of energy that not even J'aime Crandall could replicate. I had the same feeling when watching her as Princess Florine in SB. An effortless and unaffected sweetness to parts too easily rendered empty otherwise.

I really hope they're going to cast her as Kitri in the upcoming Don Q, because I'd pay big bucks to see that! Other dream castings for me would probably be as Nikiya or Giselle. She would be a perfect Giselle. Then again, Holly strikes me as one of the few ballerinas in the RDB's principal ranks whom I could imagine dancing just about everything and would actively try getting tickets for, no matter what she is dancing.

But yes, Jane - that joy of dancing is a part of her appeal for me, too!