This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB 2016: Swan Lake

SFB hasn’t yet posted casts, but Mathilde Froustey is posting on her Facebook page that she will be dancing Swan Lake three times:

“I’m so happy and excited to dance Swan Lake for the first time of my life with @luke_ingham on the 21th, 25th and 27th (2pm) of February ! #‎ilovemyjob

Since they don’t post casts until a week before the performance, and by that time full lengths - especially SL and Giselle - are mostly sold out, I have to buy tickets without knowing who will be dancing, and hope for the best. So, I’m lucky to have purchased a ticket months ago for the matinee on the 27th.

That's five out of the ten performances. I wouldn't be surprised if Yuan Yuan Tan got opening night. I have an unfortunate feeling that the dancer I want to see is not cast this time.

Yesterday, subscribers got a notice that a performance has been added on Friday, 2/26, so that's 11 performances, although it doesn't seem to be on the calendar yet.

It's good that Froustey is getting three, which will give her time to settle in. I don't think her Gala Black Swan was at all representative of what she can probably do with the role.

Agree Tan will probably get opening night. Van Patten is out on maternity leave, and Id be surprised if Feijoo will dance (she cancelled Giselle and Kitri the last couple of seasons). Among the principals, that leaves Sylve, though I dont think she's ever been cast as O/O here in SF; Zahorian, who will certainly get at least one; and Chung and Andre, assuming they have learned the role, both of whom would be debuting and both of whom I would do some serious rearranging of my life to see.

Have they ever cast a soloist as O/O? I cant picture anyone except Stahl at this point.

I have tickets for both 2/20 performances, but Ive seen Kochetkova twice already, so I may trade for 2/26 depending on who is dancing. Its very frustrating that they leave casting announcements so late.

I, for one, would love to see Sofiane do O/O (and for that matter, Giselle, Kitri, etc...). Not sure if I could see Stahl as O/O. Sasha De Sola would be a lovely casting choice as would Koto Ishihara. I also have a "wish" list for promising corps! WanTing Zhao, Norika Matsuyama, and Ellen Rose Hummel.

Ishihara
Ishihara

The companies that post casts - way in advance - to sell tickets, often end up looking foolish. And SFB always plays it safe.

I think we can expect Zahorian to appear as O/O, and I would think both Chung and Dores André can be expected to take on O/O. De Sola is, unfortunately, probably still in rehab from injury. I don't think Sofiane particularly cares for this kind of role anymore. And I don't think she suffers over it either - it will prolong her career to be more choosy. Same for Feijoo.

I think Chung is likely--I'd be a bit surprised by Andre. The only full-length she's done the lead in so far is R+J, I believe (and Nut, but that's a different beast). I'm not sure I see her O/O happening for her this year. 3 each for Froustey and Tan; 2 each for Zahorian and Kochetkova; and 1 debut for Chung would be my guess, but I guess we'll find out soon!

I'd also love to see de Sola try the part. I think she'd be stunning--it's really too bad these (presumed!) injuries seem to be holding her back a bit. Would love to see Stahl as well, but I'm not sure Helgi sees her that way...

I think Chung is likely--I'd be a bit surprised by Andre. The only full-length she's done the lead in so far is R+J, I believe (and Nut, but that's a different beast). I'm not sure I see her O/O happening for her this year. 3 each for Froustey and Tan; 2 each for Zahorian and Kochetkova; and 1 debut for Chung would be my guess, but I guess we'll find out soon!

I'd also love to see de Sola try the part. I think she'd be stunning--it's really too bad these (presumed!) injuries seem to be holding her back a bit. Would love to see Stahl as well, but I'm not sure Helgi sees her that way...

I think you probably have the numbers dead on, Apollomuse.

Stahl should be given the chance, imo. You may be right that André is just not there yet - unless, like Froustey, she has been preparing long in advance. Three shows of O/O is a lot of weight to carry though, so my guess is that Jennifer Stahl is being prepared as a sub in case of problems with any of the principals.

“Swan Lake is very technically demanding, and it gets everything out of you too. Swan Lake is the hardest full-length I’ve done. Being my type of body, I have to work extra hard to make every single position extra long, extra large. So I get tired more than from any other ballet. And it gets me in shape. If I can do Swan Lake, I can do anything.” - Maria Kochetkova, Principal Dancer

Well, I was right about André, but also, sadly, wrong about Chung. Would have liked to see her do the part.

Casting just went up: 3 each for Tan, Kochetkova, and Sylve (!!!!); only 2 for Froustey. Very interesting...and if I were in SF I'd be running out to buy tickets for one of those Sylve shows!

Well, I was right about André, but also, sadly, wrong about Chung. Would have liked to see her do the part.

Casting just went up: 3 each for Tan, Kochetkova, and Sylve (!!!!); only 2 for Froustey. Very interesting...and if I were in SF I'd be running out to buy tickets for one of those Sylve shows!

That IS interesting. I have to guess that Froustey wasn't feeling confident enough - and she apparently has had a foot issue, so I can understand going with just two performances. But no Chung? And three performances with Sofiane?!!!

Good for her - I think she has been coaching Froustey and Di Lanno, so it's interesting that she is now the one appearing with Do Lanno in Swan Lake.

In the videos I've seen of Sylve showing her coaching/teaching, my impression was that she looked like a natural, and was a very commanding presence, just like on stage. When I first heard the surprise news that Dupont would become the next POB A.D., I had the thought, "What about Sylve as the next A.D. at SFB when Helgi finally retires?" She appreciates both classical and contemporary ballet equally. Just a thought...

I am disappointed that Vanessa Zahorian is not dancing Odette/Odile this time around

Me too. To be honest, I've always thought she had more charm than expressiveness, still, I'd really like to see what she does with O/O, since I know a lot of people like her in the role. For some reason, in the past, she has never been cast when I was able to go, so this year looked like a good chance finally to see her. Oh well. SL is such a cash cow, maybe they'll bring it back next season.

I am surprised that both Zahorian and Chung are sitting SL out. But it occurs to me that this may indicate who is going to be dancing Swanilda the most.

They are both good Swanhildas: Chung is funnier and more natural, but although Zahorian plays her as a seriously spoiled brat, her charm (and that smile!) keeps the character likable. There's also Onegin coming up at the end of the season. Zahorian has done Tatiana before and the role would be a good fit for both Dores Andre and Chung.

I'm disappointed that Froustey won't be dancing the 2/20 matinee, but Sylve!!! What an unexpected treat. Froustey's 2/21 matinee is sold out but I may try and go standing room.

I am undone (in the best possible way) that Sylve is dancing Odette/Odile.

I saw all three casts in Coppelia and was delighted with the way that Zahorian was actually skipping around and when exiting the stage. I found her enchanting. She is an honest dancer with no airs and no pretense and is very feminine.

Chung was also remarkable as Swanhilda and it was her initial leading role in a full-length ballet. After seeing Chung's extraordinary Bayadere Kingdom of Shades last year, I am sure she would be an exquisite Odette/Odile.

As for Onegin, the last pas de deux danced by Zahorian and Karapetyan had me and the two people sitting beside me (strangers) sobbing. I was devastated and I think it was a reaction to her initial calmness, as you say, accelerating into unfettered emotion. I have tickets for the last few Onegins and have my fingers crossed.

That IS interesting. I have to guess that Froustey wasn't feeling confident enough - and she apparently has had a foot issue, so I can understand going with just two performances. But no Chung? And three performances with Sofiane?!!!

Good for her - I think she has been coaching Froustey and Di Lanno, so it's interesting that she is now the one appearing with Do Lanno in Swan Lake.

In the videos I've seen of Sylve showing her coaching/teaching, my impression was that she looked like a natural, and was a very commanding presence, just like on stage. When I first heard the surprise news that Dupont would become the next POB A.D., I had the thought, "What about Sylve as the next A.D. at SFB when Helgi finally retires?" She appreciates both classical and contemporary ballet equally. Just a thought...

I'll second everything in this post: I'd love to see her both as O/O...and as the next AD!

You always feel a special respect for dancers who maintain their technique and stamina at such a high level for their entire career. (Thinking of Lopatkina's O/O run here.)

I'll second everything in this post: I'd love to see her both as O/O...and as the next AD!

Surplus army boots and pointe shoes - that's a dancer with 'character'. Here's hoping she gets a chance to run a company one day.

It's nice to hear people putting in a good word for Vanessa Zahorian. She may be overlooked by the media, compared to some of her flashier counterparts, but she has been one of the most dependable artists in the company - always performing at a high level, and taking great care in the details of roles and choreography.

I remember reading, a few years ago, something that surprised me: when asked who their favorite SFB dancers were, most of the young girls (all studying ballet in the Bay Area) said, "Sofiane!" and "Vanessa!". And I wondered then what they knew that I didn't (well, probably a lot). They did know something about what it took to actually try to dance ballet, in a technical and physical sense, while I had to look at things from an aesthetic point of view. I just assumed they would all be Kochetkova (or Tan) fans, primarily, since Masha is a much more public figure. But opinions seemed more informed than that.

I remember reading, a few years ago, something that surprised me: when asked who their favorite SFB dancers were, most of the young girls (all studying ballet in the Bay Area) said, "Sofiane!" and "Vanessa!". And I wondered then what they knew that I didn't (well, probably a lot). They did know something about what it took to actually try to dance ballet, in a technical and physical sense, while I had to look at things from an aesthetic point of view. I just assumed they would all be Kochetkova (or Tan) fans, primarily, since Masha is a much more public figure. But opinions seemed more informed than that.

Wow, that's interesting about the kids!

It's funny. When I saw SFB as a full company for the first time on tour in NYC, I was shocked by how exciting Zahorian was in Classical Symphony--really the most kinetically exciting dancer of the night. Given the reviews I'd read, I'd received the impression that she was clean but rather workmanlike. (That said, I've never seen her in a dramatic role or a classical tutu variation that requires heavy lifting in the stagecraft department...that's what ultimately matters to me, too.)

(I've been a fan of Sylve since her NYCB days.)

I also saw Zahorian in Classical Symphony and vastly preferred her to the orignator of the role, who had done her usual " Look at me, I'm so cute" act which made it hard for me to watch. Zahorian made much more use of her upper body and with great speed and daring, than the upright-upper body of the first cast dancer. Zahorian stood out also in Winter Dreams because of the genuineness of her acting. She never mugs and bless her for that. She fascinates me technically because her body seems to adjust itself in pirouettes when it looks like her weight is back, and she just keeps on turning.

Performances through Tue 2/23 have been updated with Von Rothbart:

Swan Lake - Friday, February 19, 2016 - 8pm—Opening Night

Composer: Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Choreographer: Helgi Tomasson
Conductor: Martin West

Odette/Odile: Yuan Yuan Tan
Siegfried: Tiit Helimets
Von Rothbart: Alexander Reneff-Olson^+

Swan Lake - Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 2pm

Conductor: Ming Luke

Odette/Odile: Sofiane Sylve+
Siegfried: Carlo Di Lanno+
Von Rothbart: Tiit Helimets^

Swan Lake - Saturday, February 20, 2016 - 8pm

Odette/Odile: Maria Kochetkova
Siegfried: Davit Karapetyan
Von Rothbart: Daniel Deivison-Oliveira^

Swan Lake - Sunday, February 21, 2016 - 2pm

Odette/Odile: Mathilde Froustey^+
Siegfried: Luke Ingham^+
Von Rothbart: Sean Bennett^+

Swan Lake - Tuesday, February 23, 2016 - 7:30pm

Conductor: Ming Luke

Odette/Odile: Sofiane Sylve
Siegfried: Carlo Di Lanno
Von Rothbart: Tiit Helimets

^Premiere in role
+Premiere in SF Ballet production

https://www.sfballet.org/tickets/casting

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* Tiit will be doing double duty, dancing Siegfried to Yuan Yuan's Odette/Odile AND Von Rothbart to Sofiane's Odette/Odile. This is the first time I've seen this happen here at SFB, but not unprecedented. At ABT I believe both Marcelo Gomes and James Whiteside alternated between Siegfried & Von Rothbart.

* After playing Tybalt & Hilarion respectively, Daniel Deivison-Oliveira and Alexander Reneff-Olson add Von Rothbart to their villain portrayals.

* Great to see Sean Bennett debut as Von Rothbart. Sad to see (so far) no Anthony Vincent - the only dancer to have previously danced Von Rothbart.

I saw Maria Kochetkova perform Swan Lake last summer with ABT and her Odette/White Swan duet was one of the finest that I've ever seen. It had a masterpiece quality. Her moves were so remarkably constructed as if a painting by Leonardo or other great classicists had come to life. It was high art of the highest level.

Leonardo

http://img09.deviantart.net/d94d/i/2012/116/1/4/davinci_masterstudy_angle_from_virgin_in_the_rocks_by_charfade-d4xmbsw.png

I saw Maria Kochetkova perform Swan Lake last summer with ABT and her Odette/White Swan duet was one of the finest that I've ever seen. It had a masterpiece quality. Her moves were so remarkably constructed as if a painting by Leonardo or other great classicists had come to life. It was high art of the highest level.

I’ve seen her several times in this production as O/O and thought she gave a lovely, intelligent performance - good differentiation between O1 and O2, with O2 not the usual evil vixen, but more a young woman discovering her power over a man - end enjoying it. Not very PC, but it worked for me.

I had a ticket to see her Saturday evening, but decided to trade it for Thursday's Froustey/Ingham (both in role debuts this season), so I’m disappointed to miss Kochetkova. (I'm consoling myself with Sylve's Saturday matinee O/O. THAT is something I'm really looking forward to seeing.)

Instagram photo by Sasha De Sola - Swan's on the loose:

Cute photo, but I’m curious: it looks like they are bare-legged, no tights. I realize this is a rehearsal, but I hope they wear tights during the performance. I like the bare-legged look in contemporary ballets, but defintely not Swan Lake.