Jump to content
This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Recommended Posts

FYI, I attended the Vail Festival NYC Remix yesterday at New York City Center.  Harman Cornejo was scheduled to dance  Apollo, but was replaced by R Fairchild "due to injury". 

 

For me the highlight of the evening was the rarely seen Balanchine work Divertimento Brillante, danced by Tiler Peck and Robert Fairchild.

Edited by abatt
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was there too. A very full and interesting mixed bill. I would have loved to have seen Cornejo's Apollo but Robbie Fairchild did not disappoint. And how versatile he is--he was a respectable tapper next to Michele Dorrance in addition to his beautiful form in Divertimento Brilliante. Tiler Peck's skill and musicality are lovely to witness. It was a treat to see Carla Korbes as well.  

I wish NYCB would at least occasionally perform the full Apollo, with birth and death restored. It was great to see it. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I loved the Apollo with the birth scene. I didn't think Isabella Boylston was acceptable as Calliope. Way too much muggy acting and also a sloppiness in form which took away from the clean geometrical lines of Balanchine. The ballet makes so much more sense. Also enjoyed Lil' Buck's jam session.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, canbelto said:

I loved the Apollo with the birth scene. I didn't think Isabella Boylston was acceptable as Calliope. Way too much muggy acting and also a sloppiness in form which took away from the clean geometrical lines of Balanchine. The ballet makes so much more sense. Also enjoyed Lil' Buck's jam session.

 

Lucky duck -- Peter Boal took the birth scene off the top of Apollo here in Seattle, and I agree -- the work has less internal sense without it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, DanielBenton said:

Just my opinion, as a composer - Apollo makes much more structural sense without the birth scene.  There is a structural coherence to the shorter version including the music preceding curtain up, which makes the birth scene somewhat superfluous. 

 

That is interesting.  I have seen the ballet both ways.  There was a season when NYCB did both, I just don't remember when.  I don't like the birth scene but like having that staircase there for the final climb, which is think is more effective than a walk around finishing with the starburst. Either way, the ballet is amazing it its imagery, musicality and substance so I don't want to get too bogged down in criticizing one version or the other!  We are lucky to have this work of art.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, vipa said:

 

That is interesting.  I have seen the ballet both ways.  There was a season when NYCB did both, I just don't remember when.  I don't like the birth scene but like having that staircase there for the final climb, which is think is more effective than a walk around finishing with the starburst. Either way, the ballet is amazing it its imagery, musicality and substance so I don't want to get too bogged down in criticizing one version or the other!  We are lucky to have this work of art.

Amen to that.  It does seem like the starburst is more difficult to accomplish without the staircase; the lighting seems to be critical to its success.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was at Vale remix last night.  I really enjoyed every piece, but admit that at by the time the last piece started about 2 1/2 hours in, I was having trouble concentrating.   Some impressions - I'd love to see more of BalletX and Matthew Neeman's choreography.  This one viewing left me with the feeling that the dancers are accomplished, distinctive and versatile.  Newman created duets that had individuality and moved dancers around the stage in unison dancing in a captivating way.

 

 I also enjoyed the Limon piece with R. Fairchild and T. Peck.  Tiler Peck has the ability to draw you into her world when she is on stage.  Alina Cojocaru has this ability too.  

 

Lil Buck's way of moving and bringing out rhythms is a joy to behold.  

 

Jared Angle and Carla Korbes looked "velvety" in a Jodie Gates piece called "Liquid Velvet."  

 

I was nervous that the pas from Balanchine's Mid-Summer Night's dream wouldn't work out of context. Silly me.  Tiler Peck again drew me into her word, in this case, a world of pure beauty.   Jared Angle is one of the best partners out there.

 

 Isabella Boylston and Calvin Royal lll were fine, in This Bitter Earth.  The performance was not as textured as the last couple I saw do this (Wendy Whelan and Craig Hall)  but Whelan and Hall were mature artists when I saw them, there is room to grow.  

 

There was a lot more dance than I am mentioning, and I enjoyed each and every piece.  Dance is alive and well!  Also, the live music was all terrific.  I hope this becomes an annual event.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, vipa said:

I was nervous that the pas from Balanchine's Mid-Summer Night's dream wouldn't work out of context. Silly me.  Tiler Peck again drew me into her word, in this case, a world of pure beauty.   Jared Angle is one of the best partners out there.

 

 

I saw the two of them dance this pdd at Vail itself last year and it was spellbinding. Exquisite.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, kbarber said:

 

I saw the two of them dance this pdd at Vail itself last year and it was spellbinding. Exquisite.

 

It's a popular retirement special around here, and so I'm used to seeing it on its own -- I think it works very well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How interesting -- the company in residence at the University of Washington here were involved in an early revival of Mazurkas, so I got to spend a chunk of time watching it get coached.  Any idea who staged this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, sandik said:

How interesting -- the company in residence at the University of Washington here were involved in an early revival of Mazurkas, so I got to spend a chunk of time watching it get coached.  Any idea who staged this?

I know that Logan Frances Kruger, who is a current member of the Limon company, staged an excerpt from Mazurkas for Tiler Peck several years ago at the Vail Festival. I don't know if she staged this longer suite for Peck and Robbie Fairchild, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...