This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB Nutcracker 2015

It seems to be working again. Nice behind-the-scenes background you don't see that often, even on Instagram.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/thetake/article/Meant-for-the-stage-Dancing-with-S-F-Ballet-s-6716140.php

Sometimes the Chronicle stories are available after a few days, sometimes they're posted on their free - but very cluttered - SF Gate website. A reporter told me they're having a hard time figuring out just how they want to present their online content.

Good to hear, Quiggin. You would think that for any subjects that have an international audience, like ballet, they would keep their video stream open to the world. Better publicity that way.

Happy Holidays from Masha and SFB:

12362258_1675997482641099_381085406_n.jp

A little Sugarplum change of pace, courtesy of the Pasadena-based California Philharmonic, whose director, Victor Vener, said he wanted to showcase “... hip-hop dancers doing pinwheels and doing 21st street dance instead of the Russians doing 19th century street dance.”

Oh! That was so much fun!!!

I don't get the reference to "Russians doing 19th century street dance". If they're kinda-sorta referring to the "Russian dance" in the Act 2 Divertissement, I think that's actually a Cossack/Ukrainian-type dance (as most companies perform it). What am I missing?

I don't think he meant it literally; I suspect it was just a joke.

ETA Here's a link to the brief article with the quote.