This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Favorite SFB Short Video Clips

42 minutes ago, California said:

Vail's altitude at 8,022 feet makes it difficult to pop in and out, too! http://www.vailgov.com/visiting/high-altitude-health-tips

I remember Instagrams from great dancers like Daniel Ulbricht reporting how hard it hit them. Even these athletes need a few days to adjust and dance in peak form.

Isn't that what happened to Sara Mearns a year or two ago? She had to withdraw due to bad altitude sickness.

But as Helene mentioned, the Vail Festival idea seems to have the dancer's growth and health in mind. We need more of that. It's all in how things are planned and structured.

3 hours ago, Helene said:

A common narrative is that in the first season, they do things that are more comfortable for them, and as the years go by, he stretches them by having them collaborate with choreographers and fellow dancers in different styles, working with different partners, working in rep that they wouldn't necessarily get to do in their home companies, but with time and being mentored. 

I re-listened to the Korbes interview from the Conversations on Dance podcast, and she spoke very feelingly about that process -- even with the elevation challenge and the chill, she loves to go to Vail and do new things.

People vary a lot re: how the altitude impacts them. I live at 5K in Denver and hate visiting Vail -- even though I'm partially acclimated. I've skipped the Festival the last few years although I suppose I might try it again some day. I'm also not crazy about their schedule. I'd like to do a few intense days -- watch class on stage + afternoon rehearsals + evening performance. But it's such a mish-mash of stuff geared toward permanent residents that it can be pretty boring during the day.  And once you've walked around the touristy stores and restaurants, not much for non-golfers and non-hikers to do.

Meanwhile, I'm watching for announcements about the 2018 director at Vail. I wonder if Woetzel will continue once he takes over as dean at Julliard.

Sandik and California I wonder if it is possible Woetzel to run both. Speaking with a friend yesterday we could think of a few examples of artistic directors also running a festival at the same time however that these are in different parts of the country makes me think it may not be quite possible in this case.

11 hours ago, JumpFrog said:

Sandik and California I wonder if it is possible Woetzel to run both. Speaking with a friend yesterday we could think of a few examples of artistic directors also running a festival at the same time however that these are in different parts of the country makes me think it may not be quite possible in this case.

Alas, I think that would result in less-than-acceptable work for each project.  Vail may only present for a limited time in the summer, but it's a year-long project to plan.  Likewise, the students a summer holiday, but the administration does not.

Ana Sophia Scheller dancing in Don Quixote with Davit Karapetyan at the Teatro Colón in Buenos Aires, 2013:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGvRljWCpdw

I wonder if this encounter (as well as her connections to Magaly Suarez and her son Taras Domitro) may be when Ana first got the idea about dancing at SFB.

Davit recently posted this rehearsal short from a past World Ballet Day:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ8i0USlEm1/?hl=en&taken-by=davitkarapetyan

On 11/10/2017 at 3:38 PM, JumpFrog said:

I want this framed. My goodness. Gorgeous!

FYI: Erik Tomasson has stated that he is looking into getting permissions so that he can offer limited edition prints of the various UNBOUND photos. He won't know for sure about this for a few weeks though.

The cover of the latest SFB On Pointe Donor News has yet another great Erik Tomasson photo - this one is of Luke Ingham holding Dores Andre upside down by her ankle, and Dores balancing with one hand on Luke's foot. That reminds me to send another email to Tomasson about whether he's offering limited edition prints...

Edited by pherank

Erik Tomasson got back in touch with me regarding UNBOUND images:

"Just wanted to let you know that I reached an agreement with the dancers for three of the Unbound images. They are currently for sale at my website (www.eriktomasson.com) for a limited time under the 'store' link at the top of the page. The prints are available for purchase until May 1st 2018."

http://www.eriktomasson.com/store/

One size only for all prints.
Please allow 1-2 weeks for delivery.  Last day to order prints is May 1st 2018.

FYI: I sent Erik Tomasson an email reply asking if there will be any other UNBOUND images made available - if so I'll update this information.

[I'll post this information in the UNBOUND Festival thread too.]