This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2016 Met Season

Hammoudi has partnered Veronika in mixed program ballets - contemporary stuff if I remember. I remember they danced together in one of those opening night gala occasions. "Swan Lake" is a whole other level of course. I think it is a shame that Whiteside isn't dancing with Veronika since I think he handles her well.

Also, Boylston's usual partner as Siegfried Daniil Simkin couldn't dance two shows because he would be dancing on Tuesday night and then the Wednesday matinee back to back. I think the best move would have been to revert to last year's casting and schedule Boylston/Simkin and Copeland/Whiteside. Or Boylston/Simkin and let Hammoudi partner Misty as he did in Australia and keep Whiteside with Part.

There was a big TimeOut interview with Hammoudi: http://www.timeout.com/newyork/dance/alexandre-hammoudi-talks-about-his-career-at-american-ballet-theatre

Two things stand out - one was that he was trained privately in Paris with a POB-trained teacher but never worked at the POB: "I actually never went there. All of my teachers did. Max Bozzoni was a big principal; he did all the [serge] Lifar ballets in the Paris Opera, and he is the teacher who made Patrick Dupond, basically; if we have a mentor, somebody we learn from, I pretty much learned from him. And it wasn’t that much about technique. It was a very old-school way of going about ballet and steps and movement, because I had zero discipline at that age. I was wild and full of energy and he was like, “Dance, dance, dance.”"

The other is that reading between the lines you sense a certain lack of drive and discipline. Hammoudi doesn't come off as someone who is pushing himself past pain and exhaustion to polish his technique to dance on the highest classical level. There is a certain lackadaisical attitude to him and a touch of passivity. Neither trait would have gone over well at the POB school. Alex was accepted there but dissuaded from going by his teachers and family - partly because of the commute and having to board, schooling etc.

Best leading role I saw Hammoudi dance was the title role in the Lubovitch "Othello" which is contemporary ballet choreography. That I think is his best fit - he had the charisma and the dramatic projection and his level of classical technique was a perfect match for a role designed on Desmond Richardson.

Strangely, Gorak seems to have all the drive and discipline that Hammoudi lacks, not to mention beautiful technique, and yet Gorak is not making any progress in casting. Hammoudi of course fits the physical attiributes that ABT needs now- tall, relatevely strong. Gorak needs to work on his upper body strength, because if cannot handle all the big partnering jobs he's going to have difficulty advancing irrepsective of his ambition or his very fine technique.

I recall reading a NY Times piece on Gorak a few years ago, and he was very forthright in saying that his ambition is to make principal at ABT, and he intended to do whatever was needed to get there. I think it's everyone's dream, but I'm not sure that others always express it so directly.

Strangely, Gorak seems to have all the drive and discipline that Hammoudi lacks, not to mention beautiful technique, and yet Gorak is not making any progress in casting. Hammoudi of course fits the physical attiributes that ABT needs now- tall, relatevely strong. Gorak needs to work on his upper body strength, because if cannot handle all the big partnering jobs he's going to have difficulty advancing irrepsective of his ambition or his very fine technique.

I recall reading a NY Times piece on Gorak a few years ago, and he was very forthright in saying that his ambition is to make principal at ABT, and he intended to do whatever was needed to get there. I think it's everyone's dream, but I'm not sure that others always express it so directly.

I'm still waiting for Gorak to demonstrate some "punch" when he performs. He's a beautiful technician, looks very pretty on stage, etc. but he seems to lack any discernible personality that makes him become a character. I prefer him in neo classic roles, but even there at times he just doesn't seem to be involved in what's going on around him. Time will tell, but there are a few more men at ABT that seem to be making their way forward right now.

I think management is just giving Gorak time to adjust to the spotlight. Even Whiteside (an established principal in Boston), was given a while to acclimate.

Once full casting is up, we may find Gorak doing a LOT of bravura soloist roles this year to accustom him to performing under pressure.

Isn't this only Gorak's 2nd season as a soloist? And he is also young, I believe around 24, does that sound about right? If so, he may be learning a lot of the repertory of the principal men as a bit of an understudy while being given time to 'settle' with everything that entails. I would be very surprised if Gorack doesn't follow a similar trajectory as Halburg baring an injury or some similar setback. He had a whirlwind season last Met season so maybe this one is meant to really solidify things in the studio before stepping it up again. I can't remember Gorack's height but did assume it being on the shorter side. They have Simkin, Cirio, Lendorf, Cornjeo, and Scott that are all shorter dancers so they are missing some on the taller end. Especially now that Halburg has been out for so long. I think Gorack's time will come. It would be hard to fathom someone so beautifully talented to languish too long. But, ABT has done it before. Stella, and Lane.

A release:

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE’S 2016 SPRING GALA AT

METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE TO FEATURE

WORLD PREMIERE BY ALEXEI RATMANSKY,

MONDAY EVENING, MAY 16 AT 6:30 P.M.

ALESSANDRA FERRI TO PERFORM THE PIE JESU FROM

KENNETH MACMILLAN’S REQUIEM WITH GUEST SOPRANO YING FANG

PAMELA FORD, MARY ELIZABETH SNOW, SUTTON STRACKE AND

CARYN ZUCKER TO CHAIR ANNUAL BENEFIT

The World Premiere of a new work by Artist in Residence Alexei Ratmansky will highlight American Ballet Theatre’s 2016 Spring Gala benefit on Monday,

May 16 at 6:30 P.M. at the Metropolitan Opera House. The evening will also feature ABT’s renowned Principal Dancers in preview performances from the Company’s eight-week season, followed by dinner and dancing on the Promenade at the David H. Koch Theater, Lincoln Center.

First Lady Michelle Obama will serve as Honorary Chair of ABT’s Spring Gala. Co-Chairs for the evening benefit are Pamela Ford, Mary Elizabeth Snow, Sutton Stracke and Caryn Zucker. Ariana Rockefeller and Elizabeth Ann Beller will serve as Junior Committee Co-Chairs.

American Ballet Theatre’s Spring Gala will include appearances by Principal Dancers Stella Abrera, Isabella Boylston, Misty Copeland, Herman Cornejo, Marcelo Gomes, Gillian Murphy, Veronika Part, Hee Seo, Daniil Simkin, Cory Stearns and James Whiteside. The performance will feature excerpts from Act II of Ratmansky’s The Sleeping Beauty, scenes from Frederick Ashton’s Sylvia and La Fille mal gardée, the World Premiere by Ratmansky set to Leonard Bernstein’s Serenade after Plato’s Symposium and a full performance of Firebird. In addition, guest artist Alessandra

Ferri will perform the Pie Jesu solo from Kenneth MacMillan's Requiem, set to music by Gabriel Fauré and sung by soprano Ying Fang.

Gala benefit tickets, beginning at $2,500, include the performance and post-performance dinner and dancing. For Gala benefit ticket information, call American Ballet Theatre’s Special Events office at 212-477-3030, ext. 3239. A portion of the evening’s proceeds will support ABT’s education and community outreach programs.

Performance-only tickets, beginning at $25, are available online, at the Metropolitan Opera house box office or by calling 212-362-6000. For more information, please visit ABT’s website at www.abt.org.

Follow American Ballet Theatre on Twitter at http://twitter.com/ABTBallet

on Facebook at http://facebook.com/AmericanBalletTheatre

or on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/user/ABTBalletTheatre

Having noticed in the Miami City Ballet program that the costumes for Bourree Fantasque were courtesy of ABT, I wonder when was the last time ABT performed it, and why on earth aren't they doing it again! I was completely overwhelmed by Miami's stupendous performance--so much so I went back to see it again the following night. Frankly, I can't imagine ABT dancing it better, but I'd certainly like to see them try.

Isn't this only Gorak's 2nd season as a soloist? And he is also young, I believe around 24, does that sound about right? If so, he may be learning a lot of the repertory of the principal men as a bit of an understudy while being given time to 'settle' with everything that entails. I would be very surprised if Gorack doesn't follow a similar trajectory as Halburg baring an injury or some similar setback. He had a whirlwind season last Met season so maybe this one is meant to really solidify things in the studio before stepping it up again. I can't remember Gorack's height but did assume it being on the shorter side. They have Simkin, Cirio, Lendorf, Cornjeo, and Scott that are all shorter dancers so they are missing some on the taller end. Especially now that Halburg has been out for so long. I think Gorack's time will come. It would be hard to fathom someone so beautifully talented to languish too long. But, ABT has done it before. Stella, and Lane.

He was promoted in August 2014. According to this article in Pointe magazine, written in Sept 2013, he was 23 then, so he'd have to be 25 if not 26 by now. Yes, still young. http://pointemagazine.com/inside-pt/issuesoctobernovember-2013prince-waiting/

He's not very tall though, but height-wise he partners well with Lane, Copeland and Boylston. He could never partner Part or Semionova, and I think Murphy would be too strong for him (and maybe she'd be too tall on pointe for him anyway).

I think his time will come, though I expected to see him dance more principal parts this season. But, there's plenty of time for casting switcheroos.

Glad I didn't buy that ticket for Part's SL. I think Whiteside is better able to partner Part than Hammoudi, but I simply don't enjoy watching him.

I am with you angelica and I know many may not feel likewise, but IMO from what I have seen of him, he seems to dance for himself and not much connection with his partners or any emotions for that matter.

Casting is announced:

CASTING ANNOUNCED FOR FIRST TWO WEEKS OF

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE’S 2016 SPRING SEASON

AT METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE

Casting for the first two weeks of American Ballet Theatre’s 2016 Spring Season at the Metropolitan Opera House was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie.

The season will begin on Monday, May 9 with eight performances of Frederick Ashton’s Sylvia, led by Gillian Murphy (Sylvia), Marcelo Gomes (Aminta), Craig Salstein (Eros) and James Whiteside (Orion). Jeffrey Cirio will debut as Eros on Tuesday evening, May 10. Exchange Artist Xander Parish, of the Mariinsky Ballet, will make his American Ballet Theatre debut as Aminta at the matinee on Wednesday, May 11, opposite Isabella Boylston (Sylvia), Gabe Stone Shayer (Eros) and Daniil Simkin (Orion), each also dancing these roles for the first time. Hee Seo and Blaine Hoven will debut as Sylvia and Aminta, respectively, at the evening performance on Wednesday, May 11. Maria Kochetkova will dance the title role for the first time on Friday evening, May 13. A ballet in three acts, Sylvia is set to music by Léo Delibes and features costumes and scenery after original designs by Robin and Christopher Ironside. Additional designs for Sylvia are by Peter Farmer and lighting is by Mark Jonathan. The World Premiere of the original production of Sylvia was given by The Royal Ballet on September 3, 1952 at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, London, danced by Margot Fonteyn (Sylvia), Michael Somes (Aminta), John Hart (Orion) and Alexander Grant (Eros). The World Premiere of this revival of Sylvia by was given by The Royal Ballet on November 4, 2004 at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, danced by Darcey Bussell (Sylvia), Jonathan Cope (Aminta), Thiago Soares (Orion) and Martin Harvey (Eros). Sylvia received its American Ballet Theatre Company Premiere at the Metropolitan Opera House, New York on June 3, 2005, danced by Gillian Murphy (Sylvia), Maxim Beloserkovsky (Aminta), Marcelo Gomes (Orion) and Herman Cornejo (Eros). Sylvia was last performed by ABT in 2013.

The 2016 Spring Gala will be held during the second week of the Met season, on Monday, May 16 at 6:30 P.M. The Gala performance will feature a World Premiere by Alexei Ratmansky set to Leonard Bernstein’s Serenade after Plato’s Symposium, with scenery and costumes by Jérôme Kaplan and lighting by Brad Fields. The World Premiere will be led by Herman Cornejo, Marcelo Gomes, Blaine Hoven, Calvin Royal III, Gabe Stone Shayer, Daniil Simkin, James Whiteside and Devon Teuscher. The evening will also feature Gillian Murphy in an excerpt from Sylvia, Hee Seo, Veronika Part and Cory Stearns in the vision scene from Act II of The Sleeping Beauty, Isabella Boylston and Jeffrey Cirio in the Pas de Ruban from La Fille mal gardée as well as a full performance of Ratmansky’s Firebird led by Misty Copeland, Marcelo Gomes, Stella Abrera and Cory Stearns. In addition, guest artist Alessandra Ferri will perform the Pie Jesu solo from Kenneth MacMillan's Requiem, set to music by Gabriel Fauré and sung by soprano Ying Fang.

The second week of American Ballet Theatre’s Spring season will feature two repertory programs of works choreographed by Alexei Ratmansky. The first program, Ratmansky’s 2013 Shostakovich Trilogy will be given three performances, May 17, 20 and 21 evening. A triple bill of Ratmansky works, featuring the Ratmansky/Bernstein premiere, Seven Sonatas (2009) and Firebird (2012), will have four performances, May 18 matinee and evening, May 19 and the matinee of May 21.

Set to music by Dmitri Shostakovich and featuring scenery by George Tsypin, costumes by Keso Dekker and lighting by Jennifer Tipton, the Shostakovich Trilogy includes Symphony #9, Chamber Symphony and Piano Concerto #1. Polina Semionova, Marcelo Gomes, Herman Cornejo, Stella Abrera and Craig Salstein will lead the season’s first performance of Symphony #9 on Tuesday, May 17. Joseph Gorak will debut in the ballet on Friday, May 20. James Whiteside, Hee Seo, Isabella Boylston and Sarah Lane will lead the opening night cast of Chamber Symphony, with Boylston dancing this role for the first time. Jeffrey Cirio, Devon Teuscher, Gillian Murphy and Cassandra Trenary will debut in these roles on Friday, May 20. Gillian Murphy, Cory Stearns, Maria Kochetkova and Daniil Simkin will lead the season’s first performance of Piano Concerto #1. Symphony #9 received its World Premiere at New York City Center on October 18, 2012, led by Polina Semionova, Marcelo Gomes, Herman Cornejo, Simone Messmer and Craig Salstein. Chamber Symphony and Piano Concerto #1 both received

their World Premieres at the Metropolitan Opera House on May 31, 2013, with Chamber Symphony danced by David Hallberg, Isabella Boylston, Paloma Herrera and Julie Kent, and Piano Concerto #1 led by Diana Vishneva, Cory Stearns, Natalia Osipova and Ivan Vasiliev.

On Wednesday, May 18, the new Ratmansky ballet will include debuts by Jeffrey Cirio at the matinee and by Alexandre Hammoudi, Thomas Forster, Jose Sebastian, Tyler Maloney, Arron Scott, Joseph Gorak and Hee Seo at the evening performance.

The season’s first performance of Seven Sonatas, at the matinee on Wednesday, May 18, will be led by Veronika Part, Blaine Hoven, Hee Seo, Joseph Gorak, Sarah Lane and Herman Cornejo. Thomas Forster will debut in the ballet at the evening performance on Wednesday, May 18. Set to keyboard sonatas by Domenico Scarlatti, Seven Sonatas features costumes by Holly Hynes and lighting by Brad Fields. Seven Sonatas received its World Premiere at the Richard B. Fisher Center for the Performing Arts at Bard College, Annandale-on-Hudson, New York on October 2, 2009.

Misty Copeland, Marcelo Gomes, Stella Abrera and Cory Stearns will lead the performance of Firebird at the matinee on Wednesday, May 18. The evening performance on Wednesday, May 18 will feature Isabella Boylston as the Firebird, Alexandre Hammoudi as Ivan, Roman Zhurbin as Kaschei and Cassandra Trenary in her debut as the Maiden. Set to music by Igor Stravinsky, with sets by Simon Pastukh, costumes by Galina Solovyeva, lighting by Brad Fields and projections by Wendall K. Harrington, Ratmansky’s Firebird received its World Premiere on March 29, 2012 at the Segerstrom Center for the Arts in Costa Mesa, California, danced by Natalia Osipova, Marcelo Gomes, Simone Messmer and David Hallberg.

Tickets for American Ballet Theatre’s 2016 Metropolitan Opera House season, beginning at $20, are available online, at the Met box office or by phone at 212-362-6000. The Metropolitan Opera House is located on Broadway between 64th and 65th streets in New York City. For more information, visit ABT’s website at www.abt.org.

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE

Metropolitan Opera House - Spring, 2016

FIRST WEEK

Mon. Eve., May 9, 7:30 P.M. SYLVIA – Murphy, Gomes, Salstein, Whiteside

Tues. Eve., May 10, 7:30 P.M. SYLVIA – Semionova, Bolle, +Cirio, Stearns

Wed. Mat., May 11, 2 P.M. SYLVIA – +Boylston, ++Parish, +Shayer, +Simkin

Wed. Eve., May 11, 7:30 P.M. SYLVIA – +Seo, +Hoven, Scott, Hammoudi

Thurs. Eve., May 12, 7:30 P.M. SYLVIA – Murphy, Gomes, Salstein, Whiteside

Fri. Eve., May 13, 7:30 P.M. SYLVIA – +Kochetkova, Cornejo, Scott, Simkin

Sat. Mat., May 14, 2 P.M. SYLVIA – Semionova, Bolle, Cirio, Stearns

Sat. Eve., May 14, 8 P.M. SYLVIA – Boylston, Parish, Shayer, Simkin

SECOND WEEK

Mon. Eve., May 16, 6:30 P.M. GALA

SYLVIA (Hunt Scene) – Murphy

SPEECH

THE SLEEPING BEAUTY (Act II Vision – adagio and

coda) – Seo, Part, Stearns

LA FILLE MAL GARDÉE (Act I Ribbon Pas de Deux) –

Boylston, Ciri

REQUIEM (Pie Jesu) – *Ferri

NEW RATMANSKY (World Premiere) – Whiteside, Cornejo,

Royal, Simkin, Gomes, Hoven, Shayer, Teuscher

FIREBIRD – Copeland, Gomes, +Abrera, Stearns

Tues. Eve., May 17, 7:30 P.M. SHOSTOKOVICH TRILOGY

SYMPHONY #9 – Semionova, Gomes, Cornejo

CHAMBER SYMPHONY – Whiteside, Seo, +Boylston, Lane

PIANO CONCERTO #1 – Murphy, Stearns, Kochetkova, Simkin

Wed. Mat., May 18, 2 P.M. RATMANSKY TRIPLE BILL

NEW BALLET – +Cirio, Gomes, Hoven, Royal, Shayer, Simkin,

Whiteside, Teuscher

SEVEN SONATAS – Part, Hoven, Seo, Gorak, Lane, Cornejo

FIREBIRD – Copeland, Gomes, Stearns, Abrera

Wed. Eve., May 18, 7:30 P.M. RATMANSKY TRIPLE BILL

NEW BALLET – Cornejo, +Hammoudi, +Forster, +Sebastian,

+Maloney, +Scott, +Gorak, +Seo

SEVEN SONATAS – Abrera, Royal, Shevchenko, +Forster,

Paris, Scott

FIREBIRD – Boylston, Hammoudi, Zhurbin, +Trenary

Thurs. Eve., May 19, 7:30 P.M. RATMANSKY TRIPLE BILL

NEW BALLET – Cirio, Gomes, Hoven, Royal, Shayer, Simkin,

Whiteside, Teuscher

SEVEN SONATAS – Part, Hoven, Seo, Gorak, Lane, Cornejo

FIREBIRD – Copeland, Gomes, Stearns, Abrera

Fri. Eve., May 20, 7:30 P.M. SHOSTAKOVICH TRILOGY

SYMPHONY #9 – Part, Bolle, +Gorak, Paris, Scott

CHAMBER SYMPHONY – +Cirio, +Teuscher, +Murphy, +Trenary

PIANO CONCERTO #1 – Shevchenko, Royal, Brandt, Shayer

Sat. Mat., May 21, 2 P.M. RATMANSKY TRIPLE BILL

NEW BALLET – Cornejo, Hammoudi, Forster, Sebastian, Maloney,

Scott, Gorak, Seo

SEVEN SONATAS – Abrera, Royal, Shevchenko, Forster,

Paris, Scott

FIREBIRD – Boylston, Hammoudi, Zhurbin, Trenary

Sat. Eve., May 21, 8 P.M. SHOSTAKOVICH TRILOGY

SYMPHONY #9 – Semionova, Gomes, Cornejo, Abrera, Salstein

CHAMBER SYMPHONY – Whiteside, Seo, Boylston, Lane

PIANO CONCERTO #1 – Murphy, Stearns, Kochetkova, Simkin

+Editors please note first time in a role

Tues., 5/10 – Cirio (Eros) in Sylvia

Wed. Mat., 5/11 – Boylston (Sylvia), Shayer (Eros) and Simkin (Orion) in Sylvia

Wed. Eve., 5/11 – Seo (Sylvia) and Hoven (Aminta) in Sylvia

Fri., 5/13 – Kochetkova (Sylvia) in Sylvia

Mon., 5/16 – Abrera (Maiden) in Firebird

Tues., 5/17 – Boylston in Chamber Symphony

Wed. Mat., 5/18 - Cirio in New Ballet

Wed. Eve., 5/18 – Hammoudi, Forster, Sebastian, Maloney, Scott, Gorak, Seo in New Ballet;

Forster in Seven Sonatas; Trenary (Maiden) in Firebird

Fri, Eve., 5/20 – Gorak in Symphony #9; Cirio, Teuscher, Murphy, Trenary in Chamber Symphony

++Editors please note first time in a role with ABT

Wed. Mat., 5/11 – Parish (Aminta) in Sylvia

*Guest Artist

I am with you angelica and I know many may not feel likewise, but IMO from what I have seen of him, he seems to dance for himself and not much connection with his partners or any emotions for that matter.

ITA, Stuben. In addition to which, his upper body is stiff and unexpressive.

I think the danseur to watch this season is Cory Stearns. I saw him in a studio rehearsal of La Fille Mal Gardee with Gillian Murphy, and he was simply gorgeous in every way, with an exquisite line and heart-stopping jumps and turns.

ITA, Stuben. In addition to which, his upper body is stiff and unexpressive.

I think the danseur to watch this season is Cory Stearns. I saw him in a studio rehearsal of La Fille Mal Gardee with Gillian Murphy, and he was simply gorgeous in every way, with an exquisite line and heart-stopping jumps and turns.

I couldn't have said it better myself angelica! Without emotions IMO I might as well see Cirque du Soleil! Modern or Classics I want to walk out feeling connected, and you just mentioned two of my favorites for that! :)

I couldn't have said it better myself angelica! Without emotions IMO I might as well see Cirque du Soleil! Modern or Classics I want to walk out feeling connected, and you just mentioned two of my favorites for that! :)

Interesting, Stuben, that you find Cory Stearns an expressive dancer. I "discovered" him, so to speak, when he was just beginning to dance prominent roles, as James in La Sylphide. What struck me most was his beautiful line as well as his adorable face--he was still just a boy. But since then audience members have complained that he needs to be more expressive on stage--that they found him a blank in ballets such as Swan Lake and Onegin. He was praised, however, for his performance as Iago in that one-act ballet based on Othello (I can't think of the name right now, darn it). My take, sitting in the front of the orchestra, was that he was, indeed, expressive, but at the same time self-effacing, not self-promoting or affected. And when he partnered Veronika Part in Swan Lake, I think he felt an enormous responsibility to her and the audience, which hampered his ability to act on stage.

But in the studio rehearsal with Gillian this year, he seems to have come into his own. He's a man now, no longer a boy, and seems to have gained in confidence. He was sweet and funny in the role of Colas. His jumps and turns were perfect and heart-stopping. I think this is going to be The Year of Cory Stearns. I'm so glad you like him too!

Interesting, Stuben, that you find Cory Stearns an expressive dancer. I "discovered" him, so to speak, when he was just beginning to dance prominent roles, as James in La Sylphide. What struck me most was his beautiful line as well as his adorable face--he was still just a boy. But since then audience members have complained that he needs to be more expressive on stage--that they found him a blank in ballets such as Swan Lake and Onegin. He was praised, however, for his performance as Iago in that one-act ballet based on Othello (I can't think of the name right now, darn it). My take, sitting in the front of the orchestra, was that he was, indeed, expressive, but at the same time self-effacing, not self-promoting or affected. And when he partnered Veronika Part in Swan Lake, I think he felt an enormous responsibility to her and the audience, which hampered his ability to act on stage.

But in the studio rehearsal with Gillian this year, he seems to have come into his own. He's a man now, no longer a boy, and seems to have gained in confidence. He was sweet and funny in the role of Colas. His jumps and turns were perfect and heart-stopping. I think this is going to be The Year of Cory Stearns. I'm so glad you like him too!

That is wonderful angelica! Thank you then for the discovery :) I loved him in Onegin!

He was praised, however, for his performance as Iago in that one-act ballet based on Othello (I can't think of the name right now, darn it).

The Moor's Pavane (Limon). I enjoyed Stearns in Ashton's A Month in the Country and am hoping to see his Colas.

Thank you, Drew, it was driving me crazy, and I couldn't even find it on Google, although obviously I was too impatient to do a comprehensive search.

And I hope you get to see Cory's Colas.

I also want to see Stella in Fille, which means subjecting myself to my least favorite male dancer, but I'd do anything for Stella.

Well this is depressing. Julie Kent just posted this on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BEo-3BTo37N/?taken-by=juliekentofficial

I assume Julie Kent wouldn't have posted this unless she felt it was a last resort.

Re Hallberg-this was posted by Fort Wayne Ballet about two weeks ago:

https://www.facebook.com/AuerAcademyofFWB/photos/a.934925266605503.1073741830.927004520730911/951189758312387/?type=3&fref=nf

Thanks for sharing Drew! Good to see Hallberg still in this country as I was wondering if he may have returned to Russia :( Based on this I wonder if he is going to do more lectures or appearances as such vs dancing? Missing him at Met Seasons!! :(

A release:

POLINA SEMIONOVA TO WITHDRAW FROM

PERFORMANCES WITH AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE

AT METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE

Principal Dancer Polina Semionova will take a medical leave during American Ballet Theatre’s Spring season at the Metropolitan Opera House, withdrawing from all previously scheduled performances, it was announced today by Kevin McKenzie, Artistic Director.

Hee Seo will replace Semionova in performances of Frederick Ashton’s Sylvia on Tuesday evening, May 10 and the matinee on Saturday, May 14. Devon Teuscher will replace Semionova in performances of Alexei Ratmansky’s Symphony #9 on Tuesday evening, May 17 and Saturday evening, May 21. Gillian Murphy will replace Semionova in Swan Lake on Monday evening, June 13 and Isabella Boylston will replace Semionova in the ballet at the matinee on Saturday, June 18. Seo replaces Semionova in Romeo and Juliet on Friday evening, June 24.

For more information and updated casting on American Ballet Theatre, please visit www.abt.org