This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2016 Met Season

I don't know much about The Golden Cockerel. Will be interesting to see. I had hoped that Ratmansky might have taken on Swan Lake and redid their version, which to be honest could use a refresh. Excited for La Fille Mal Gardee, its nice to see them throw in a wild card and not do just the normal repertory rotations. Wonder how long until we get to see casting. Gardee seems like a great ballet for their new corp of shorter principals and soloists. I'm crossing my fingers for the opportunity to see lots of Stella! They also announced their Nutcracker casting in California today and was a little disappointed to see Stella paired with Hammoudi. Nothing against him, but she deserves a fully developed partner. Judging from her incredible Giselle this past season, I think casting her with a strong partner and dancer helps her deliver an incredible performance. This was clear after seeing her with Gorak in Cinderella. He has incredible talent and is on his way to the top, but his partnering and acting skills are lacking. This type of stuff takes away from Stella's performance. She deserves the best. Shall we all take our bets on casting? Lets hope for lots of debuts!

Stella has Marcelo in her Sleeping Beauty debut.

Also very surprised Hallberg isn't listed. Gorak wasn't given a Romeo but maybe he'll get one of the TBA slots. Still strange he's not listed now. Was really hoping Lane would get a Juliet or Lise. Nice to see Trenary get an Aurora. Copeland and Simkin paired in SL is the biggest head scratcher to me.

This is a rare ABT season for me in being more intriguing for repertory than casting. I will at least try to come up for the Ratmansky week when they are doing Shostakovich Trilogy and the program with Seven Sonatas, Firebird, and a premier. I am also eager, if possible, to see Fille with pretty much any cast, though I am especially looking forward to seeing Lendorf as Colas. (I was also wondering if they would bring in Nunez or Cojocaru to guest in that, but I see they are not.)

Excited that Trenary is getting major opportunities.

Very unhappy not to see Hallberg scheduled--perhaps he is TBA; certainly I hope he is back on stage somewhere by this spring.

Random thoughts:

-- I'm so glad that Abrera and Trenary are getting such great partners for their Sleeping Beauty debuts: it will make such a difference. And it's good to see that Boylston is getting Lendorf for Sylvia, La Fille Mal Gardee, AND Swan Lake for the same reason: if any ballerina has paid her dues debuting in difficult ballets with random or relatively inexperienced partners, she's that ballerina. It will interesting to see what happens to her artistically with a solid, consistent partner.

-- I'm curious to see what else the soloist women pick up, particularly Trenary, Shevchenko, and Paris.

-- Part and Copeland sound totally right for the Queen in The Golden Cockerel. I wish Murphy and Paris were cast too: it sounds like it needs verve.

-- Interesting to see that the male TBDs seem to line up with Hallberg's roles in the rep: I wonder if McKenzie is assuming his return, but playing it safe?

-- I'm not too surprised that Gomes isn't dancing leads in Le Corsaire or La Fille as he's pulling double duty in Sylvia, Swan Lake, R+J, and most of the Ratmanky ballets (it will be interesting to see if he does both the Astrologer and the Tsar in The Golden Cockerel). Between Cockerel, SB, and La Fille, this is a dream season for male character artists (and a great training ground for the up-and-comers who are still figuring out how to inhabit the stage).

Misty Copeland as Lise in FILLE! Looking forward to seeing how she tackles that Ashton footwork. Misty & Danil' in SL makes sense to me, as both as short in stature and 'tall' in throngs of adoring fans; I'm sure that that one will sell out quickly.

I saw the Copenhagen COQ D'OR and it is a delight. I can imagine both Seo and Abrera being hits as the Queen: sinewy snoot! Pert Sarah Lane should be perfection in the title role...and I'd pay mint to see Gomes as goofy King Dodon. :)

Debut to which I am looking forward the most: Cassandra Trenary as Aurora in SB!

Did anyone save the casting on their computer by chance?

Sylvia

Mon, May 9

On Stage

7:30 pm

Léo Delibes

Sylvia

Murphy, Gomes, Whiteside

Tue, May 10

On Stage

Léo Delibes

Sylvia

Semionov, Bolle, Stearns

Wed, May 11

On Stage

2:00 pm

Léo Delibes

Sylvia

Boylston, Lendorf, Simkin

Léo Delibes

Sylvia

Seo, TBA, Hammoudi

Thu, May 12

On Stage

Léo Delibes

Sylvia

Murphy, Gomes, Whiteside

Fri, May 13

On Stage

Léo Delibes

Sylvia

Kochetkova, Cornejo, Simkin

Sat, May 14

On Stage

Léo Delibes

Sylvia

Semionova, Bolle, Stearns

8:00 pm

Léo Delibes

Sylvia

Boylston, Lendorf, Simkin

Mixed bills

Mon, May 16

On Stage

6:30 pm

ABT Gala

Tue, May 17

On Stage

Dmitri Shostakovich

Shostakovich Trilogy

Cornejo, Gomes, Semionova, TBA, Kochetkova, Simkin, Murphy, Stearns

Wed, May 18

On Stage

Composers Multiple

World Premiere/7 Sonatas/Fireb

Company, Part, Cornejo, Gorak, Lane, Hoven, Seo, Copeland, Lendorf, TBA, Abrera

Composers Multiple

Company, Abrera, Paris, Scott, Royal, TBA, Shevchenko, Boylston, Gomes, Zhurbin, Part

Thu, May 19

On Stage

Composers Multiple

Company, Part, Cornejo, Gorak, Lane, Hoven, Seo, Copeland, Lendorf, TBA, Abrera

Fri, May 20

On Stage

Dmitri Shostakovich

Shostakovich Trilogy

Bolle, Cirio, Part, Whiteside, Royal, Shayer, Shevchenko

Sat, May 21

On Stage

Composers Multiple

Company, Abrera, Paris, Scott, Royal, TBA, Shevchenko, Boylston, Gomes, Zhurbin, Part

Dmitri Shostakovich

Shostakovich Trilogy

Cornejo, Gomes, Semionova, TBA, Kochetkova, Simkin, Murphy, Stearns

Mon, May 23

On Stage

Dmitri Shostakovich

Shostakovich Trilogy

Bolle, Cirio, Part, Whiteside, Brandt, Shayer, Royal, Shevchenko

La Fille mal Gardee

Tue, May 24

On Stage

Ferdinand Hérold

La Fille Mal Gardee

Boylston, Lendorf

Wed, May 25

On Stage

Ferdinand Hérold

La Fille Mal Gardee

Murphy, Stearns

Ferdinand Hérold

La Fille Mal Gardee

Copeland, Cornejo

Thu, May 26

On Stage

Ferdinand Hérold

La Fille Mal Gardee

Abrera, TBA

Fri, May 27

On Stage

Ferdinand Hérold

La Fille Mal Gardee

Boylston, Lendorf

Sat, May 28

On Stage

Ferdinand Hérold

La Fille Mal Gardee

Copeland, Cornejo

Ferdinand Hérold

La Fille Mal Gardee

Murphy, Stearns

Mon, May 30

On Stage

Ferdinand Hérold

La Fille Mal Gardee

Abrera, TBA

Le Corsaire

Tue, May 31

On Stage

Leo Delibes

Le Corsaire

Kochetkova, Cornejo, Lane, Cirio, Simkin

Wed, Jun 1

On Stage

Leo Delibes

Le Corsaire

Part, Stearns, Teuscher, Whiteside, Ahn

Leo Delibes

Le Corsaire

Murphy, Lendorf, Abrera, Simkin, Shayer

Thu, Jun 2

On Stage

Leo Delibes

Le Corsaire

Kochetkova, Cornejo, Lane, Cirio, Simkin

Fri, Jun 3

On Stage

Leo Delibes

Le Corsaire

Seo, Whiteside, Copeland, TBA, Lendorf

Sat, Jun 4

On Stage

Leo Delibes

Le Corsaire

Murphy, Lendorf, Abrera, Simkin, Shayer

Leo Delibes

Le Corsaire

Part, Stearns, Teuscher, Whiteside, Ahn

The Golden Cockerel

Mon, Jun 6

On Stage

Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov

The Golden Cockerel

Part, Brandt

Tue, Jun 7

On Stage

Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov

The Golden Cockerel

Abrera, Trenary

Wed, Jun 8

On Stage

Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov

The Golden Cockerel

Seo, Lane

Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov

The Golden Cockerel

Copeland, Kochetkova

Thu, Jun 9

On Stage

Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov

The Golden Cockerel

Part, Brandt

Fri, Jun 10

On Stage

Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov

The Golden Cockerel

Abrera, Trenary

Sat, Jun 11

On Stage

11:30 am

ABT KIDS

Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov

The Golden Cockerel

Copeland, Kochetkova

Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov

The Golden Cockerel

Seo, Lane

Swan Lake

Mon, Jun 13

On Stage

Peter Tchaikovsky

Swan Lake

Semionova, Gomes

Tue, Jun 14

On Stage

Peter Tchaikovsky

Swan Lake

Boylston, Lendorf

Wed, Jun 15

On Stage

Peter Tchaikovsky

Swan Lake

Copeland, Simkin

Peter Tchaikovsky

Swan Lake

Part, Whiteside

Thu, Jun 16

On Stage

Peter Tchaikovsky

Swan Lake

Seo, Bolle

Fri, Jun 17

On Stage

Peter Tchaikovsky

Swan Lake

Murphy, Stearns

Sat, Jun 18

On Stage

Peter Tchaikovsky

Swan Lake

Semionova, Gomes

Peter Tchaikovsky

Swan Lake

Kochetkova, Cornejo

Romeo & Juliet

Mon, Jun 20

On Stage

Sergei Prokofiev

Romeo and Juliet

Seo, Stearns

Tue, Jun 21

On Stage

Sergei Prokofiev

Romeo and Juliet

Vishneva, Gomes

Wed, Jun 22

On Stage

Sergei Prokofiev

Romeo and Juliet

Boylston, TBA

Sergei Prokofiev

Romeo and Juliet

Murphy, TBA

Thu, Jun 23

On Stage

Sergei Prokofiev

Romeo and Juliet

Ferri, Cornejo

Fri, Jun 24

On Stage

Sergei Prokofiev

Romeo and Juliet

Semionova, Bolle

Sat, Jun 25

On Stage

Sergei Prokofiev

Romeo and Juliet

Copeland, TBA

Sergei Prokofiev

Romeo and Juliet

Vishneva, Gomes

The Sleeping Beauty

Mon, Jun 27

On Stage

Peter Tchaikovsky

The Sleeping Beauty

Boylston, Gorak

Tue, Jun 28

On Stage

Peter Tchaikovsky

The Sleeping Beauty

Murphy, Stearns

Wed, Jun 29

On Stage

Peter Tchaikovsky

The Sleeping Beauty

Trenary, Whiteside

Peter Tchaikovsky

The Sleeping Beauty

Seo, TBA

Thu, Jun 30

On Stage

Peter Tchaikovsky

The Sleeping Beauty

Abrera, Gomes

Fri, Jul 1

On Stage

Peter Tchaikovsky

The Sleeping Beauty

Lane, Cornejo

Sat, Jul 2

On Stage

Peter Tchaikovsky

The Sleeping Beauty

Boylston, Gorak

Peter Tchaikovsky

The Sleeping Beauty

Seo, TBA

Official release:

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE’S 2016 SPRING SEASON AT

THE METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE, MAY 9-JULY 2, 2016,

TO FEATURE WORLD PREMIERE WORK BY ABT

ARTIST IN RESIDENCE ALEXEI RATMANSKY

AND AMERICAN PREMIERE OF THE GOLDEN COCKEREL

SEASON TO ALL INCLUDE REVIVAL OF LA FILLE MAL GARDÉE AND TWO ALL-RATMANSKY REPERTORY PROGRAMS

GUEST ARTIST ALESSANDRA FERRI TO DANCE THE ROLE OF JULIET IN

ROMEO AND JULIET ON THURSDAY, JUNE 23, 2016

American Ballet Theatre’s 2016 Spring season at the Metropolitan Opera House was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie. A World Premiere work by Alexei Ratmansky and the American Premiere of Ratmansky’s The Golden Cockerel will highlight the season, which includes six additional full-length ballets.

Principal Dancers for the 2016 Metropolitan Opera House season include Stella Abrera, Roberto Bolle, Isabella Boylston, Misty Copeland, Herman Cornejo, Marcelo Gomes, David Hallberg, Maria Kochetkova, Alban Lendorf, Gillian Murphy, Veronika Part, Polina Semionova, Hee Seo, Daniil Simkin, Cory Stearns, Diana Vishneva and James Whiteside.

2016 Spring Gala Performance and World Premiere

American Ballet Theatre’s 2016 Spring Gala will be held during the second week of the Met season, Monday, May 16 at 6:30 P.M. and will feature a World Premiere work by Artist in Residence Alexei Ratmansky set to Leonard Bernstein’s Serenade after Plato’s Symposium. ABT’s Spring Gala performance will include appearances by all of

ABT’s Principal Dancers. For information on ABT’s 2016 Spring Gala, please call the Special Events Office at 212-477-3030, ext. 3310.

All-Ratmansky Repertory Programs

The second week of American Ballet Theatre’s Spring season, May 17-23, will feature two repertory programs of works choreographed by Ratmansky. The first program, Ratmansky’s 2013 Shostokovich Trilogy, features the choreographer’s Symphony #9, Chamber Symphony and Piano Concerto #1. Shostakovich Trilogy will be given four performances, May 17, 20, 21 evening and 23. Another triple bill of Ratmansky works, featuring the Ratmansky/Bernstein premiere, Seven Sonatas (2009) and Firebird (2012), will have four performances, May 18 matinee and evening, May 19 and the matinee of May 21.

American Premiere

Alexei Ratmansky’s The Golden Cockerel will be given its American Premiere by American Ballet Theatre on Monday evening, June 6, 2016 with Veronika Part (Queen of Shemakah) and Skylar Brandt (the Golden Cockerel) leading the first cast. Set to music by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov with sets and costumes by Richard Hudson, Ratmansky’s The Golden Cockerel is inspired by Michel Fokine’s original production. Sorella Englund and Anne Holm-Jensen Peyk will stage the ballet for ABT.

Based on Alexander Pushkin’s folktale, The Golden Cockerel was first presented on May 21, 1914 at the Théâtre Nationale de l’Opera, Paris, with choreography by Michel Fokine and scenery and costumes by Natalia Goncharova. Ratmansky’s choreography for The Golden Cockerel received its World Premiere by the Royal Danish Ballet on September 29, 2012 at the Copenhagen Opera House, Denmark.

The Golden Cockerel will be given eight performances through June 11.

Revival

Frederick Ashton’s La Fille mal gardée returns to the repertory on Tuesday evening, May 24 for eight performances through Monday, May 30. Choreographed by

Frederick Ashton and set to music by Ferdinand Hérold, La Fille mal gardée features designs by Osbert Lancaster, a scenario by Jean Dauberval and lighting by Brad Fields. Isabella Boylston and Alban Lendorf will dance the leading roles of Lise and Colas in the

ballet’s first performance of the season on May 24. La Fille mal gardée received its World Premiere by The Royal Ballet at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, London on January 28, 1960, danced by Nadia Nerina (Lise), David Blair (Colas), Alexander Grant (Alain) and Stanley Holden (Widow Simone).

La Fille mal gardée received its United States Premiere by The Royal Ballet at the Metropolitan Opera House, New York on September 14, 1960, danced by the same cast. The ballet received its American Ballet Theatre Company Premiere at the Metropolitan Opera House, New York on May 31, 2002, danced by Ashley Tuttle (Lise) and Ethan Stiefel (Colas). Last performed by ABT in 2003, the ballet will be staged for the Company by Malin Thoors.

Full-Length Ballets

American Ballet Theatre will present five additional full-length ballets during its Spring season.

Gillian Murphy, Marcelo Gomes and James Whiteside will dance the leading roles in the season’s first performance of Frederick Ashton’s Sylvia on Monday evening, May 9. A ballet in three acts, Sylvia is set to music by Léo Delibes and features costumes and scenery after original designs by Robin and Christopher Ironside. Additional designs for Sylvia are by Peter Farmer and lighting is by Mark Jonathan. The World Premiere of the original production of Sylvia was given by The Royal Ballet on September 3, 1952 at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, London, danced by Margot Fonteyn (Sylvia), Michael Somes (Aminta), John Hart (Orion) and Alexander Grant (Eros). The World Premiere of this revival of Sylvia by was given by The Royal Ballet on November 4, 2004 at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, danced by Darcey Bussell (Sylvia), Jonathan Cope (Aminta), Thiago Soares (Orion) and Martin Harvey (Eros). Sylvia received its American Ballet Theatre Company Premiere at the Metropolitan Opera House, New York on June 3, 2005, danced by Gillian Murphy (Sylvia), Maxim

Beloserkovsky (Aminta), Marcelo Gomes (Orion) and Herman Cornejo (Eros). Sylvia was last performed by ABT in 2013.

The season’s first performance of Le Corsaire on Tuesday, May 31 features Maria Kochetkova, Herman Cornejo, Sarah Lane, Daniil Simkin and Jeffrey Cirio in the leading roles. Based on the Lord Byron poem “The Corsair” (1814), the ballet features choreography by Konstantin Sergeyev after Marius Petipa, and staging by Anna-Marie Holmes after Petipa and Sergeyev, with music by Adolphe Adam, Cesare Pugni, Léo Delibes, Riccardo Drigo and Prince Oldenbourg. Scenery and costumes are by Irina Konstantinovna Tibilova, with additional costume designs by Robert Perdziola and lighting by Mary Jo Dondlinger. Le Corsaire received its Company Premiere by American Ballet Theatre on June 19, 1998 with Nina Ananiashvili (Medora), Ashley Tutttle (Gulnare), Giuseppe Picone (Conrad), Angel Corella (Birbanto), Jose Manuel Carréno (Ali, the slave) and Vladimir Malakhov (Lankendem).

Eight performances of Swan Lake, choreographed by Kevin McKenzie after Marius Petipa, will be given beginning Monday, June 13 with Polina Semionova and Marcelo Gomes leading the opening night cast. Swan Lake is set to the score by Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky and features scenery and costumes by Zack Brown and lighting by Duane Schuler. This production of Swan Lake premiered on March 24, 2000 at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C. with Julie Kent (Odette-Odile), Angel Corella (Prince Siegfried) and Marcelo Gomes (von Rothbart).

Kenneth MacMillan’s Romeo and Juliet will be given eight performances beginning Monday evening, June 20 with Hee Seo and Cory Stearns in the title roles. Set to the score by Sergei Prokofiev, Romeo and Juliet features scenery and costumes by Nicholas Georgiadis and lighting by Thomas Skelton. On Thursday evening, June 23, Guest Artist and former ABT Principal Dancer Alessandra Ferri will return to the role of Juliet for the first time since her retirement from the Company in 2007. Ferri will dance opposite Herman Cornejo as Romeo. Romeo and Juliet received its World Premiere by The Royal Ballet in London on February 9, 1965 and was given its ABT Company Premiere at the Metropolitan Opera House on April 22, 1985 with Leslie Browne and Robert La Fosse in the leading roles.

Last season’s World Premiere production of Alexei Ratmansky’s The Sleeping Beauty returns to the Metropolitan Opera House for eight performances beginning

Monday evening, June 27. Set to the classic score by Peter Ilyitch Tchaikovsky,

The Sleeping Beauty has choreography by Marius Petipa and staging and additional choreography by Alexei Ratmansky, with assistance by Tatiana Ratmansky. The production features scenery and costumes by Tony Award®-winning designer Richard Hudson. Hudson’s designs are based on the historic work of Léon Bakst, who created a seminal version of The Sleeping Beauty for Serge Diaghilev’s Ballets Russes in 1921. The Sleeping Beauty received its World Premiere on March 3, 2015 at Segerstrom Center for the Arts in Costa Mesa, California, danced by Diana Vishneva (Princess Aurora) and Marcelo Gomes (Prince Désiré).

ABTKids

ABTKids, American Ballet Theatre’s annual one-hour introduction to ballet, is scheduled for Saturday morning, June 11 at 11:30 A.M. All tickets for ABTKids are $25.

Subscriptions for American Ballet Theatre’s 2016 Spring Season at the Metropolitan Opera House, on sale beginning Monday, October 26, are available by phone at 212-362-6000, or online at ABT’s website www.abt.org.

Hammoudi is cast in only one principal role, in one performance (Orion). I can't say I'm especially surprised, as he hasn't exactly risen to the occasion in past performances. Maybe they will put him in one of the TBA Romeo and Juliet performances if Hallberg doesn't come back.

If ABT feels like it needs to bring in a guest artist, the one I'm most eager to see again is Vladimir Shklyarov. Such beautiful dancing, and so supportive of Stella on her big night. He did a very good job of integrating himself into the company.

And I hope Gorak gets an R&J! I only want to see roles added to his repertoire, not taken away.

Could not agree more with FondofFouettes: Shklyarov is a real pro and a star dancer. I will probably be ruthlessly castigated for this, but Stella got an enormous lift from his partnering - literally and figuratively. He is probably the best Romantic male dancer around now.

"If ABT feels like it needs to bring in a guest artist, the one I'm most eager to see again is Vladimir Shklyarov. Such beautiful dancing, and so supportive of Stella on her big night. He did a very good job of integrating himself into the company."

It looks like we're gettting closer and closer to an ABT at the Met season entirely choreographed by Ratmansky((((((

Well, I love the "Trilogy" and am happy they are doing all three sections in one evening. As for other evenings devoted solely to Ratmansky, I'm not so sure. Oddly, I don't feel the same way about an all Balanchine evening. His works fully engage me, while Ratmasky can blow hot and cold. Let's just be grateful we're not getting "The Tempest"!

I hope to be able to see both the Shostakovich trilogy and the new Ratmansky premier program with Seven Sonatas and Firebird (both ballets that I have enjoyed). I doubt I will be able to see Golden Cockerel as well--but would certainly like to do so. Re the premier: I'm intrigued that Ratmansky has opted for an American composer for a change...

(I am also very excited the company has chosen to do two Ashton full lengths in one season.)

Well, I love the "Trilogy" and am happy they are doing all three sections in one evening. As for other evenings devoted solely to Ratmansky, I'm not so sure. Oddly, I don't feel the same way about an all Balanchine evening. His works fully engage me, while Ratmasky can blow hot and cold. Let's just be grateful we're not getting "The Tempest"!

Pacific Northwest Ballet has done several one-choreographer evenings (Robbins, Tharp, Wheeldon, Forsythe, Dove, and several Balanchine) -- it's always a fascinating program. You really do learn a lot about a choreographer and about the works when you see them lined up with each other. I saw the Ratmansky trilogy in San Francisco last spring and thought it held together excellently, but I would be very interested to see a collection of works that were not made as a group.

Pacific Northwest Ballet has done several one-choreographer evenings (Robbins, Tharp, Wheeldon, Forsythe, Dove, and several Balanchine) -- it's always a fascinating program. You really do learn a lot about a choreographer and about the works when you see them lined up with each other. I saw the Ratmansky trilogy in San Francisco last spring and thought it held together excellently, but I would be very interested to see a collection of works that were not made as a group.

Yes, I also saw the SFB production of the Trilogy and felt it held it's own quite well. We'll see how it all comes together for ABT come Spring. And if the new Ratmansky threesome is "new ballet"," Seven Sonatas" and "Firebird" last on the bill, I can get home early on that night! I sort of struck out with "Firebird" last time around.

Looks like subscriptions are on sale now. Anyone know why they don't sell the side boxes as part of subscriptions? I prefer sitting in the grand tier side boxes but they don't include them in the subscriptions (site says sold out, but I've purchased individual tickets in the spring when single seats go on sale).