This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Vaganova Academy (APb) 2015 Graduation Perfs.

We're in the midst of the annual Vaganova graduation performances!

Anastasia Lukina starred as Aurora in SB-Act I the first night (June 11) and Renata Shakirova wowed audiences as Laurencia in LAURENCIA SUITE. Both ballets now up on YT ("Rafzak61"), although not all soloists identified. (I loved the gypsy and Spanish soloists, whoever they may be!)

Parts of RAYMONDA VARIATIONS also posted on YT by "Leo Petit." Again, no soloists id'd. Maybe someone with a full computer will provide full links, so we may discuss?

I'm still in total awe of that amazing LAURENCIA SUITE by Chabukiani, far more energetic and authentic than the also-fine Messerer version at the Mik. If this is due to Tsiskaridze's leadership at the academy, then my hat's off to him & I take back all negative talk about him! :))

June 10th was actually the dress rehearsal/general rehearsal and the first concert took place on the following day. The second concert was on June 13th.

The programme is following:

I. The Sleeping Beauty (Act I)
Music by Pyotr Tchaikovsky
Choreography by Marius Petipa, revised version by Konstantin Sergeyev

starring Anastasia Lukina as Aurora in the rehearsal seen in YT and June 11th & 13th. Renata Shakirova will be dancing as Aurora on June 18th when the third graduation concert will be. Ksenia Fateeva and Ksenia Kulikova are dancing as Lilac Fairy but I don't know the dates.

II. Variations on a theme of Raymonda
Music by Alexander Glazunov
Choreography by George Balanchine

Nika Tsvikhtaria danced the lead and Lukina is casted for the role on June 18th. I don't know the name of the boy who was dancing and didn't recognize all of the soloists. Lukina danced one of the variations though. As mentioned, Leo PETIT posted most of the ballet in YT but at least the first part has been already deleted.

III. Suite from the ballet Laurencia
Music by Alexander Crain
Choreography by Vakhtang Chabukiani

Renata Shakirova was in the lead. Elena Solomyanko is also casted for the role. An other well know graduate, Olga Makarova, is dancing some character roles. June 11th (link below) was posted in YT, https://youtu.be/g9MzXe_PDeI .

Thanks! The correct English title of the second work is RAYMONDA VARIATIONS. Fabulous program for Tsiskaridze's first full year as head of the academy. His stock has really gone up in my book.

The teacher IK should help in improving the training of classical males in StP, since Selyutski is getting up in years. This was not a 'bumper crop year' for the boy students.

Thanks! The correct English title of the second work is RAYMONDA VARIATIONS. Fabulous program for Tsiskaridze's first full year as head of the academy. His stock has really gone up into book.

The teacher IK should help in improving the training of classical males in StP, since Selyutski is getting up in years. This was not a 'bumper crop year' for the boy students.

I know, my mistake. I copied the program from Mariinsky's website and skipped proofreading.

I also think the program is fabulous. Especially I liked the Laurencia and I think Shakirova was great. I really hope someone is going to post her Aurora on YT. On the other hand, even though I like Lukina, her interpretation of Aurora wasn't that good. She was a little bit too much like a student to my taste. Of course it's not the easiest part.

Here's Lukina on June 13th. (Aurora's entrance and the Rose Adagio)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isyym-cUJR4

Thanks. Kudos must go not just to Tsiskaridze but also to Zhanna Ayupova, the artistic head of the ARB. Not to leave out the stager of the Balanchine, Darla Hoover.

By the way, does anyone know the names of the pedagogues who led this year's girls and boys graduation classes?

In the "ouch department"...the tall blonde male lead in LAURENCIA (partner of Shakirova) doesn't exactly evoke memories of Chabukiani (or other great Frondosos, such as Nureyev, Vasiliev)!

Thanks. Kudos must go not just to Tsiskaridze but also to Zhanna Ayupova, the artistic head of the ARB. Not to leave out the stager of the Balanchine, Darla Hoover.

By the way, does anyone know the names of the pedagogues who led this year's girls and boys graduation classes?

In the "ouch department"...the tall blonde male lead in LAURENCIA (partner of Shakirova) doesn't exactly evoke memories of Chabukiani (or other great Frondosos, such as Nureyev, Vasiliev)!

Udalenkova and Kovaleva are the teachers of the two girls' graduating classes.

I know, my mistake. I copied the program from Mariinsky's website and skipped proofreading.

I also think the program is fabulous. Especially I liked the Laurencia and I think Shakirova was great. I really hope someone is going to post her Aurora on YT. On the other hand, even though I like Lukina, her interpretation of Aurora wasn't that good. She was a little bit too much like a student to my taste. Of course it's not the easiest part.

Here's Lukina on June 13th. (Aurora's entrance and the Rose Adagio)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isyym-cUJR4

Thanks for this! She is beautiful. And I loved not only the color of her tutu, but the length. As opposed to what we got at ABT last week with the "reconstruction", this allowed the dancer to shine as Aurora, to let us into her life. All the wonderful little details that were tried for but sadly missed by the ABT version were so charming here. The little fiddlers were in costumes that complimented her and the scene in general,and they were actually bowing those tiny violins. The mens' costumes did not over whelm and look foolish. Also, the wigs made sense and didn't make the dancers ugly. The King and Queen looked like radiant parents and not something out of a horror film. But most importantly, the grandeur of the choreography fit the grandeur of the music. At ABT, this extraordinary music seemed to be danced by less than capable dancers and made the entire scene resemble a small town recital somewhere off in the "boonies". How I wish ABT had spent their money in a more responsible way and not given us a version that just looks more and more dated every time I saw it. This video, on the other hand, makes one realize how fresh and gorgeous all of this can be!!

She isn't my cup of tea, I agree too student like. Hopefully her performance will develop with more experience. Does anyone have a link for Laurencia? Would love to see it.

Well. this is a graduation performance, not one developed after a few years of experience. And as such she looks remarkably fresh and promising. Time will tell.

She isn't my cup of tea, I agree too student like. Hopefully her performance will develop with more experience. Does anyone have a link for Laurencia? Would love to see it.

Go to YouTube and search the name of the poster "Rafzak61". The Laurencia Suite should appear at or near the top of his/her postings. June 11, 2015 performance (NOT the dress rehearsal, after all).

I only have iPhone so can't copy/paste links easily.

Thanks, Natalia! MimsyB, I understand this is a graduation performance, but this is Vaganova Academy which usually graduates fully formed dancers. Smirnova, Shapran, and to a lesser degree Zhiganshina last year, not to mention Vishneva, are the caliber I expect from a top-graduate of Vaganova. Lukina looked better to me last year, in my opinion. Does anyone know if she is Kovelava's student? If she is, that is surprising. She doesn't have the softness I've come to be accustomed to in her students. She is talented, just underwhelming

I agree about Lukina; very promising but, to me, a 1960s look about her. (In a way, very nice to finally see the end of the "elongated stork" aesthetic at the academy!)

Renata Shakirova is closer to "the Real Deal." What a marvelous series of stag jetes in the famous jumping solo! I especially love how she projects. What a face!

Another of this year's grads, Ksenia Fateeva, is the daughter of Yuri Fateev. A friend in StP tells me that she was to have danced Lilac Fairy in yesterday's final performance but did not show. Hope she is ok (not injured).

Thanks, Natalia! MimsyB, I understand this is a graduation performance, but this is Vaganova Academy which usually graduates fully formed dancers. Smirnova, Shapran, and to a lesser degree Zhiganshina last year, not to mention Vishneva, are the caliber I expect from a top-graduate of Vaganova. Lukina looked better to me last year, in my opinion. Does anyone know if she is Kovelava's student? If she is, that is surprising. She doesn't have the softness I've come to be accustomed to in her students. She is talented, just underwhelming

Yes, Lukina is Kovaleva's student, along with Tskhvitaria. Shakirova and Makarova are Udalenkova's students.

I happen to think Lukina danced beautifully. This was her graduation performance and already she is dancing with the maturity of a seasoned dancer, and she adds her own nuances. I think she is a very promising young dancer. She danced this Rose Adagio with more feeling and grace than I have seen some professionals dance it.

I happen to think Lukina danced beautifully. This was her graduation performance and already she is dancing with the maturity of a seasoned dancer, and she adds her own nuances. I think she is a very promising young dancer. She danced this Rose Adagio with more feeling and grace than I have seen some professionals dance it.

I thought the same. Technically she was excellent, and her final attitude balances in particular were wonderful. She also has a lovely warm, charming presence on stage. I enjoyed her Aurora very much.

I finally got to see Laurencia! That was absolutely wonderful and yes I found the lead to be much closer in what my expectations are for a top Vaganova graduate. Not just the pyrotechnics, which she has in bounds, but in nuance and stage presentation. Her use of her eyes and confidence in all of her ballet positions speaks volumes. I liked her very much. I'm not saying Lukina doesn't have tons of potential, it's just less developed than my general expectations. I hope she gets a wonderful coach who will work with her so that she will reach her full potential and pray that if she is going to Mariinsky that she won't languish like so many other talented dancers.

I found my eyes drawn to a young man; in a sort of red and black gypsy costume. after laurencia does her big solo and there is a dance for young men, he is the one in the front row and on the left side of the screen. rather dark haired and appears to be a bit short, but pizzazz to spare. wonder who he is and where he's from.

I will be going to SP again in July and Anastasia Lukina is scheduled for the role of Falina in Bambi at the end of the month (a new ballet that premiered earlier this season) with Zaleyev as Bambi, so that is another unexpected surprise for my trip. Can't wait to see her live and glad to see a young dancer get a chance so soon. I will definitely report on all the ballets I see probably under a White Nights 2015 thread. Last summer I saw 11 ballets in 11 days. This summer it will be 11 ballets in 14 days! LOL

[....] Last summer I saw 11 ballets in 11 days. This summer it will be 11 ballets in 14 days! LOL

Slacking off a bit eh? Well, all the more time to write up for the rest of us about what you are seeing wink1.gif --