This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tsiskaridze says "real" ballet dancers are trained in Paris, M

He's said much of this before. He will continue to say it. He is the product of that training and the head of its major school. He has conservative views and thinks that Grigorovich is a hero. None of this is new or unexpected. It must be a slow news day.

He's said much of this before. He will continue to say it. He is the product of that training and the head of its major school. He has conservative views and thinks that Grigorovich is a hero. None of this is new or unexpected. It must be a slow news day.

Although I have disagreed with some of his views in the past I actually agree with him on this but would drop Paris out of the list! LOL Nobody be mad. Artistry is subjective and we all have our likes and dislikes.

Hmmm... seems like he has nothing better to discuss than controversial issues he's already spoken about.

this article dates from March 2014, so it's not a repetition of what he already said. It IS what he already said.

Although I have disagreed with some of his views in the past I actually agree with him on this but would drop Paris out of the list! LOL Nobody be mad. Artistry is subjective and we all have our likes and dislikes.

I agree with you and him! The three schools/academies of Vaganova, Bolshoi and Paris are the greatest in the world, in that order! Even though my own country's Royal Ballet School is excellent, we simply do not have the training or traditions of the Vaganova or Bolshoi school. Vaganova training is the best in the world in my opinion and Tsiskaridze is rightly proud of it.

this article dates from March 2014, so it's not a repetition of what he already said. It IS what he already said.

Thank you! Ignore my quote...

I agree with you and him! The three schools/academies of Vaganova, Bolshoi and Paris are the greatest in the world, in that order! Even though my own country's Royal Ballet School is excellent, we simply do not have the training or traditions of the Vaganova or Bolshoi school. Vaganova training is the best in the world in my opinion and Tsiskaridze is rightly proud of it.

I don't begrudge Tsiskaridze his pride in Vaganova training and Russian ballet, but I think the School of American Ballet has a great track record in preparing students for a different kind of repertory...I know some of their best students began elsewhere, but the school clearly is doing something right. If you don't care about that repertory (Balanchine, Robbins, Wheeldon, Ratmansky, Peck, and others) then you won't care, but SAB trained dancers bring qualities to it that, for example, the Mariinsky dancers (as great as they are--which is very) don't...

Of course just as the Vaganova trained dancers also dance some neo-classical works in their rep, SAB trained dancers sometimes dance classics--and both can be successful. (I've seen Lopatkina in Swan Lake and Mearns in Diamonds--both great performances. What I wouldn't give to see Lopatkina in Diamonds and Mearns in Swan Lake too!) But there is still a difference in where the greatest strengths lie...

(And there was a time -- perhaps past, I'm not sure -- when I would rather have seen Ashton with the Royal than the Mariinsky.)

Didn't he use to omit the POB in his list? Wonder why he changed his mind?

I don't think so - he has always been a big fan of the POB school, especially the Nureyev generation, with Laurent Hilaire and Sylvie Guillem being his favourite dancers (explains his leg...). It might have been different in recent years?

Part of his bid to take over the Mariinsky or Bolshoi though, no? Very 'Putin' ;-).

I don't think so - he has always been a big fan of the POB school, especially the Nureyev generation, with Laurent Hilaire and Sylvie Guillem being his favourite dancers (explains his leg...). It might have been different in recent years?

Part of his bid to take over the Mariinsky or Bolshoi though, no? Very 'Putin' ;-).

I wish Tsiskaridze WOULD take over Mariinsky Ballet - he would make a much better job of it than Yuri Fateyev, who is single handedly destroying it.

I wish Tsiskaridze WOULD take over Mariinsky Ballet - he would make a much better job of it than Yuri Fateyev, who is single handedly destroying it.

After seeing Kimin Kim with ABT on Monday, I say Fatayev is a better AD than Mczkenzie, But of course, then there's Askerov:((

I don't begrudge Tsiskaridze his pride in Vaganova training and Russian ballet, but I think the School of American Ballet has a great track record in preparing students for a different kind of repertory...I know some of their best students began elsewhere, but the school clearly is doing something right. If you don't care about that repertory (Balanchine, Robbins, Wheeldon, Ratmansky, Peck, and others) then you won't care, but SAB trained dancers bring qualities to it that, for example, the Mariinsky dancers (as great as they are--which is very) don't...

Of course just as the Vaganova trained dancers also dance some neo-classical works in their rep, SAB trained dancers sometimes dance classics--and both can be successful. (I've seen Lopatkina in Swan Lake and Mearns in Diamonds--both great performances. What I wouldn't give to see Lopatkina in Diamonds and Mearns in Swan Lake too!) But there is still a difference in where the greatest strengths lie...

(And there was a time -- perhaps past, I'm not sure -- when I would rather have seen Ashton with the Royal than the Mariinsky.)

Yes, the School of American Ballet is a great school and definitely one of the best in my opinion. I've actually said that whenever I have children, I would take them to ballet class when they're old enough and if any of them wanted to become professional dancers and they wanted to study abroad, I would send them to America. I'd much rather have my kids train at the School of American Ballet than the Vaganova Academy because let's face it, the SAB-trained dancers can pretty much do anything. They have superb musicality (nothing's ever too fast for them) and they can adapt to different styles like the ones you mentioned.

However, one person whose teaching deserves a lot of recognition is Katherine Healy. She was trained in the Imperial Russian Ballet style and she was a fantastic ballerina; it certainly is very impressive how she was able to dance and master Aurora's Act 1 variation at the age of 10! If only she was teaching in one of the world's Top 5 best ballet schools; in fact, I would probably send my kids to train with her.

No supporters of Copenhagen? FIREdevil.gif

Yes, Copenhagen is the best place to learn the Bournonville method and the Royal Danish Ballet School has produced some of the greatest dancers ever, like one of my favourites, Johan Kobborg.

Not to mention - and this is something that Natalia Dudinskaya said - today's Bournonville dancers have a lot more in common with Petipa and the Imperial Russian Ballet than today's Vaganova dancers since Petipa's dancers were trained in the Bournonville style and other French traditions by August Bournonville's star pupil Christian Johansson. Vaganova was one of Johansson's students and she took influence from his teachings for her method.

Great schools, all of them.

I also think that Tsiskaridze thrives on attention, and he is good at generating a discussion. ;)

One thing I have come to understand through my years teaching ballet is that there is no underestimating a good physical "instrument".

In some schools (Bolshoi, Vaganova, perhaps also Paris Opera?) the studets are chosen from a young age (8-10?) according to strict physical characteristics.

This of course does not guarantee them a place in the pantheon of great ballet dancers ("real" ballet dancers?), but it sure makes training them easier. (of course, not every student who has perfect this-or-that can become a wonderful dancer... and there are many wonderful dancers who did NOT have all the perfect physical prerequisites.. but you get my drift?)

Oh, and I think that at least in those three schools he mentions, students seldom come into the system later than very early teens, is that correct?

-d-