This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ratmansky's Shostakovich Ballets

This is a fact seeking question, rather than an aesthetic philosophical one, but I wasn't sure where to post it. Apologies.

My question has to do with the number of ballets Ratmansky has produced to Shostakovich's music. I've counted 7:

La Sylphide88

Bolt

Bright Stream

Concerto DSCH

Symphony #9

Piano Concerto #1

Chamber Symphony

In her June 7, 2013 New Yorker article on Ratmansky and Shostakovich, Joan Acocella states that he's done ELEVEN to Shostakovich's music.

Anyone want to fill in the blanks here? Apparently I'm missing four.

THANKS

The Golden Age is the only other one I can come up with. I think you might have to start digging into earlier and more obscure pieces. The Mariinsky has a nice list at http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/company/choreographers/ratmansky/ and his wife Tatiana's ABT page includes some early works that I've never seen listed at http://www.abt.org/education/archive/choreographers/ratmansky_t.html .

Update: It also occurred to me that he might have provided incidental dances for Bolshoi productions of Shostakovich's operas.

This bio in a .pdf of a program from State Ballet of Georgia (at Berkeley) lists:

Charms of Mannerism, commissioned by Nina Ananiashvili

Dreams of Japan

Leah, based the The Dybbuk, which he revised and presented after he became head of Bolshoi Ballet

Capriccio (part of the New Choreographers program at the Bolshoi)

in addition to Yurliberlyu and Whipped Cream, which were listed in Tatiana Ratmanskaya's bio among his ballets. I'm not having much luck finding composers, though.

This bio in a .pdf of a program from State Ballet of Georgia (at Berkeley) lists:

Charms of Mannerism, commissioned by Nina Ananiashvili

Dreams of Japan

Leah, based the The Dybbuk, which he revised and presented after he became head of Bolshoi Ballet

Capriccio (part of the New Choreographers program at the Bolshoi)

in addition to Yurliberlyu and Whipped Cream, which were listed in Tatiana Ratmanskaya's bio among his ballets. I'm not having much luck finding composers, though.

I'd wondered about the State Ballet of Georgia dances, too, but they all seem to be non-Shostakovich. The Yurliberlyu and Whipped Cream are still question marks though. ["Self, is it wrong of me to hope against hope that the world contains a ballet scored to Herb Alpert? Yes, self, it is.]

In an interview a couple of years ago, Ratmansky cited Shostakovich's operetta MOSCOW CHERYOMUSHKI, a comedy set in a Kruschev-era concrete jungle of high rise apartments, as a possible subject of a future ballet. Knowing the operetta and film, I totally agree...it could be a BRIGHT STREAM set in the 1960s, with several hilarious characters.

Thanks, everyone. Those ABT and Maryinsky bios are helpful. I'm still unable to find the composers for Whipped Cream, Jurliberlu, Sarabande, and Water (many of these are listed in Tatyana Ratmanskaya's bio and appear to be choreographic miniatures and early works). So those could be the missing pieces.

Here are some composers I did find listed for some of the more obscure Ratmansky works.

98 Steps - Nino Rota

Old Lady Falling Down - Desyatnikov

Capriccio - Stravinsky

Charms of Mannerism - R. Strauss

Turandot's Dream - Hindemith

Leah - Bernstein

Chromatic Variations - Bizet

I couldn't find anything on Moscow Cheryomushki other than that Gergiev conducted a production in London in 2006 (no choreographer mentioned), the Chicago Opera had a run in 2012 (Ratmansky was not the choreographer), and the Maryinsky revived the production in Feb. 2015. But I don't see the choreographer listed for either of the Maryinsky productions.

AR said that Cheryomushki is a dream/idea. An instrumental version of the operetta's score would have to be arranged first or have singers in the pit or ????. The recent Mariinsky Young Singers version of the full operetta was a partially-staged concert in which the singers did their own movement and bits of dancing. AR not involved.

Curiously, the famous 1960s movie of Cheryomushki starred a Kirov Ballet soloist, Olga Zabotkina, who lip-synched her songs.