This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

DD6948, your ire is misplaced. If you were to look through the threads on this board, you’d find that I have been banging the drum for these ballet in cinema transmissions for the last seven or eight years. When I haven’t been able to attend broadcasts, I’ve bought tickets for them anyway, because I recognize the use-it-or-lose-it nature of the enterprise. I’ve lost track of how many transmissions I’ve attended over the years, but none has ever been close to sold out, so I am fairly confident that my phantom participation has not deprived anyone of a ticket, and if I was required to select a seat to make the purchase, I made a point to choosing the least desirable spot in the auditorium. It’s true that I haven’t always paid money to buy tickets. Sometimes I’ve redeemed loyalty points, and sometimes I’ve used vouchers received at failed broadcasts. In one instance I made three attempts to see a particular ballet cinemacast, but sadly the initial and two rescheduled screenings all succumbed to faulty technology. I have also paid to watch ballet streams online, but these opportunities present themselves less frequently. So rest assured; I’ve invested my share of time and money into the cause.

Fair enough. I do follow this thread actually and noted that you made a decisive point about missing the past few broadcasts solely because of Zakharova and then explain in detail how you then decided to "hack" the youtube link, and just insult everyone anyway. I do respect everyone has their own opinion. It's not really about depriving anyone of tickets, it's about supporting an initiative to continue showing the work of great companies, no matter the cast . Though you should know that a couple of venues for Camellias in New York were in fact sold out.

Also, casting for this was done by the ballet's choreographer himself, John Neumeier. Seems he could have chosen the roles of Manon and Des Grieux to match exactly Marguerite and Armand's height if that was something very important to him.

Casting is up for April 10 "Live in Cinema" broadcast of Bolshoi's new staging of Don Quixote: http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/performances/912/roles/#20160410180000

For convenience:

Kitri Ekaterina Krysanova

Basilio, a barber Semyon Chudin

Don Quixote, an errant knight Alexei Loparevich

Sancho Pansa, his squire Roman Simachev

Friends to Kitri

Juanita Victoria Yakusheva

Piccilia Anna Okuneva

Gamache, a wealthy nobleman Denis Medvedev

A Street Dancer Anna Tikhomirova

Espada Ruslan Skvortsov

Mercedes Kristina Karasyova

Lorenzo, Kitri's father Yegor Simachev

Lorenzo's Wife Galina Ivanova

Duke Alexander Fadeyechev

Duchess Ekaterina Barykina

Jig Xenia Pchelkina, Alexander Vodopetov, Alexei Matrakhov, Anton Savichev

Tavern Keeper Ivan Prazdnikov

Dulcinea Ekaterina Krysanova

The Queen of the Dryads Olga Smirnova

Cupid Daria Khokhlova

Three Dryads Nelli Kobakhidze, Olga Marchenkova, Marfa Sidorenko

Four Dryads Anna Voronkova, Alesya Gradova, Daria Gurevich, Svetlana Pavlova

Spanish Dance Vera Borisenkova, Lyudmila Yermakova, Anna Zakaraya

Gipsy Dance Anna Antropova

Fandango. Soloists Maria Zharkova, Evgeny Golovin

Bolero Oxana Sharova, Dmitry Dorokhov

First Variation in Grand Pas Anna Tikhomirova

Second Variation in Grand Pas Yulia Stepanova (Yangurazova)

Krysanova and Chudin, that's something of a surprise, to me at least. I had thought it would be Alexandrova.

Krysanova and Chudin, that's something of a surprise, to me at least. I had thought it would be Alexandrova.

'

Yes, I had thought so too, especially since several of these dancers, namely Krysanova, Chudin, Skvortsov, and also Nikulina, Turazashvili and Rodkin who are dancing other performances that weekend, are still being advertised as participating in a gala in Dubai the day before. Obviously not anymore.

http://mceagency.com/all-promo-list/gala-ballet-of-soloists-of-bolshoi-theatre-of-russia/

'

Yes, I had thought so too, especially since several of these dancers, namely Krysanova, Chudin, Skvortsov, and also Nikulina and Rodkin who are dancing other performances that weekend, are still being advertised as participating in a gala in Dubai the day before. Obviously not anymore.

http://mceagency.com/all-promo-list/gala-ballet-of-soloists-of-bolshoi-theatre-of-russia/

That's awkward for the dancers if they have to break a contract with the Dubai presenter. I wonder if they had asked permission of the Bolshoi prior to agreeing to appear in Dubai as they are now required to do under their Bolshoi contract. http://www.ismeneb.com/blogs-list/2014-bolshoi-stories/140702-new-bolshoi-deal-tough-on-foreigners.html If Bolshoi said ok at the time the arrangements were made, and now requires them on dates that conflict, I wonder what happens?

I think it's really exciting to see an unexpected cast, especially since we don't often get to see Chudin in the broadcasts in leading roles. He's fantastic and so is Krysanova. Also noticed that Smirnova will make her debut as Kitri on April 9! Super exciting to see fresh faces in DQ.

That's awkward for the dancers if they have to break a contract with the Dubai presenter. I wonder if they had asked permission of the Bolshoi prior to agreeing to appear in Dubai as they are now required to do under their Bolshoi contract.

They've always had to ask permission, but evidently the company can withdraw the permission, so not much has changed on that front. That gala had seen some changes already. Initially the "special guests" were to have been Osipova and Polunin, rather than Salenko and McRae. One lot will stay home and dance in Don Quixote, and perhaps those who will be appearing in the broadcast think it's worth it, and no doubt a different bunch of Bolshoi dancers will go to Dubai in their stead and get the hard-currency earnings.

I hope the Emirates process visa applications quickly.

Casting is up for April 10 "Live in Cinema" broadcast of Bolshoi's new staging of Don Quixote: http://www.bolshoi.ru/en/performances/912/roles/#20160410180000

For convenience:

Kitri Ekaterina Krysanova

Basilio, a barber Semyon Chudin

Don Quixote, an errant knight Alexei Loparevich

Sancho Pansa, his squire Roman Simachev

An excellent casting composition. I love it!

I saw Krysanova & Chudin dancing in Don Quixote, when they visited N.Y. in 2014. Krysanova is my favorite Kitri, simply the best. She is sparkling on stage. Her Kitri is not only fast and light, but also very lovely and cute. Chudin was a noble-baber. His style is always very noble, keeping his neck bolt upright. Hope he could smile more this time on HD screen.

The only one I missed in the casting was Skvortsov's Espada, because Bolshoi didn't let him come to N.Y. that summer. I have no doubt he would be a very stylish Espada, as good as Merkuriev.

I am very happy to see these Bolshoi dancers performing D.Q. again in HD theaters.

:flowers:

Thanks Birdsall. So Mercedes didn't appear until the 2nd act correct? She did the dance with the castanets? And the street dancer did the dagger dance in the first act?

I loved Krysanova and Chudin. I still can't get over the speed of their dancing! It was quite thrilling to watch! Can't wait to see more of this company next year. Looking forward to seeing what will be in the cinema.

'

Yes, I had thought so too, especially since several of these dancers, namely Krysanova, Chudin, Skvortsov, and also Nikulina, Turazashvili and Rodkin who are dancing other performances that weekend, are still being advertised as participating in a gala in Dubai the day before. Obviously not anymore.

The Dubai gala apparently didn't turn out too well. http://www.thenational.ae/uae/tourism/high-drama-at-dubai-ballet-as-audience-argues-with-organisers-over-disaster

The article doesn't specifically mention the Bolshoi dancers so it's not clear whether they actually participated.

It was a such pleasure to see Bolshoi's Don Quixote again this afternoon. The Bolshoi dancers could always make this ballet cheerful and dynamic as fireworks! Krysanova and Chudin's dancing looked like there were winds blowing under their feet. I could not help clapping (quietly) over and over again.

:flowers:

But, I didn't like the new set design in Act I. The costume colors were in low contrast and low saturation, too low. And, that was a cloudy day! So, the scene looked very flat on the big screen. I miss the sunny Spain!
:beg:

Really enjoyed the Bolshoi's Don Quixote at the cinema today. I especially liked the character dancing and the crowd scenes, which were wonderfully detailed, colorful, and fresh. Anna Antropova's performance as the Gypsy was just terrific, so varied in mood and pacing, telling a story within a story. Also unexpected was the brief scene of children miming a play on a small stage within a gypsy van (whom Don Q mistakenly tried to rescue before going after the windmills) -- I'd never seen that before.

I'd agree with Kaysta that the principals danced really fast, very crisp and accurate. Krysanova had a rough end to her fouettes (ending up facing backwards) but was otherwise a technical marvel and delivered a very upbeat and perky characterization. Chadian is such an elegant dancer I'm not sure Basilio is the best role for him, but he gave it his all. His variations in the pas de deus were beautiful. It seemed to me that Olga Smirnova was somewhat miscast as the Queen of the Dryads, or at least my notion of that character as a warm and gracious queen, because she is rather cold and distant even when smiling. Smirnova's dancing was beautiful, however, and seems to have brought out the best Krysanova had to offer in terms of epaulement as they danced together in the dream sequence. Xenia Zinganshina (of social media fame) appeared in place of Victoria Yakusheva (who appeared on the credits) as one of Kitri's friends and seemed to be having the time of her life while dancing very well. Anna Tikhomirova appeared in two roles, first as Street Dancer and later in the first bridesmaid variation. I find that a little of her goes a long way -- she has lots of energy and brio but tends to mug for the camera more than is strictly necessary. In contrast, the other bridesmaid variation was danced by Yulia Stepanova with her usual grace and elegance.

They also showed a teaser for the 2016/2017 Bolshoi in cinema season featuring Artem Ovcharenko and Olga Smirnova in costumes that look to be from A Hero of Our Time, very exciting! The complete announcement of the season's offerings will come out on April 25.

But, I didn't like the new set design in Act I. The costume colors were in low contrast and low saturation, too low. And, that was a cloudy day! So, the scene looked very flat on the big screen. I miss the sunny Spain!

I have checked the old scene design in Act I of Bolshoi's Don Quixote. In old design the costume-colors are more dynamic. The timing is in later afternoon, a sunny day, so there is some lighting from the right side of the stage. The lighting effect makes the dancers and the whole scene have more stereo perceptional appeal.

I agree Smirnova wasn't effective as Queen of the Dryads, and found her to be somewhat lifeless in the role. On the other hand, I love Tikhomirova and the energy she brought to both parts. Stepanova was great as well. Kitri's friends, Zhiganshina and Okuneva, both have a ton of charisma and it would be interesting to see if that translates as well live as it does in the broadcast.

Nothing to say about Krysanova and Chudin that hasn't already been said. Both were fabulous and sharp, displaying the bravado of the Bolshoi.