abatt

Mariinsky's Raymonda To the KC in Feb 2016

Actually, Skorik would probably at this point be fine in fouettes and most technical moves. She has improved in that respect. She probably won't mess up technically. But hopefully her acting and musicality (which in the past has been almost zero) has improved since I saw her this past summer.

Raymonda, in my opinion, should be girlish and dainty in Act 1 picking up the flowers on her entrance very elegantly and joyfully. She is also a bit taken aback by Abderakhman in that first scene. Then, she is almost in a dream and trance-like in the second scene and fearful of the appearance in the dream of Abderakhman. In Act 2 (the gorgeous blue tutu is in this scene) she attempts to overcome her fear and be polite to Abderakhman and then fear for the safety of Jean de Brienne and horror at Abderakhman's death. The final act she has come through trauma and takes the stage as a woman of the world. This is all my own interpretation. Basically, a lot of people think this is not that much of an acting role (thin plot), but I think a ballerina can make quite a lot out of the role if she wants. For me personally it is not just a technical role.

But I agree. It is great to see this version and simply watching the corps in the lovely Act 1 waltz with flowers will be delightful. The character dances of Act 2 are interesting especially the Spanish dance if the Spanish female has the amazing back bends (that make her look like she's going to break her back) that I have seen in the past. Not all dancers in this role do it the way Galina Rakhmanova did. She was jaw dropping!!!!! Maria Adzhamova is also amazing with the backbends in this. Petushkova has been dancing it a lot and even though I love her in evil roles I find her a bit lacking in the back bends for the Spanish dance in Raymonda. Your jaw does not drop to the floor and fear for her back when she dances it.

Yes--I'm not indifferent to casting, but the chance to see this ballet is the great thing with me too. Especially this ballet as danced by this company. (Weather and ballet gods cooperating, I will be there Friday and Sat, and see all three casts. And I hope to meet some fellow posters on this site, too, as Cubanmiamiboy earlier suggested.)

Edited to Add: Maps I would love to see the poster, but haven't been able to track down an image of it.

I can't figure out how to upload pictures! Skorik blue tutu poster is huge maybe 4-5 feet high. https://mapskc.shutterfly.com/

The poster is pretty, but sort of a generic pose. They should had gone with the iconic Raymonda hand touching head position.

The poster is pretty, but sort of a generic pose. They should had gone with the iconic Raymonda hand touching head position.

I agree--I wonder if they thought this image would 'read' to the general public better.

Edited to add: I just realized there were two Skorik Raymonda posters--I was commenting on the one with her leg extended high up to the side. I think the one from the vision scene (in arabesque in a white tutu) is really quite beautiful and less generic even if not the hand-to-head Hungarian pose.

Hello all. Opening night tickets are secured, attending other performances TBD. I can't wait and reading everyone's comments just adds to the build-up. It'll be me plus new-to-ballet wife and we look forward to drinks with anyone who'd care to meet up.

Hello all. Opening night tickets are secured, attending other performances TBD. I can't wait and reading everyone's comments just adds to the build-up. It'll be me plus new-to-ballet wife and we look forward to drinks with anyone who'd care to meet up.

Count me in! :tiphat:

Count me in! :tiphat:

I will be there on the weekend--and hope to meet some of you then.

Flying in from California for the performances on February 25, 26 and 27. Would be thrilled to meet some of the folks whose posts I've been reading for years,

I'll be there on the 23rd (opener-Skorik), then back for Saturday, the 27th's "Double Header" (Kolegova/Kondaurova). I usually stay-put up in 2nd Tier during intermissions but can certainly meet kind BA souls before or after shows! In the past, we met near the big Kennedy-Head sculpture in the main lobby, across from the entrance to the Opera House venue.

I'm skipping the opener but will be there 2/24- 2/27. Would be happy to meet at the Kennedy sculpture during intermissions.Since it looks like many of us will be there for the Saturday double header, perhaps we can get together for a meal between show at the KC Cafeteria?

I'll be there Tuesday through Thursday and would look forward to meeting people at intermissions at the Kennedy bust in the lobby (mentioned by Natalia above). Also, on Tuesday various ballet fans are planning on hooking up in the cafeteria upstairs before the show for dinner. All ballet alert folks are welcome!

Husband & I will look for Abatt and fellow fans at the KC cafeteria before Tuesday's opener. Saturday, between shows, may also work if I can adjust an earlier commitment. So I'm "in" for Tuesday and "maybe/hopeful" for Saturday evening pre-show get-together at the cafeteria or whatever folks ultimately decide for Saturday.

Like many DC ballet fans, I'll be on an early-morning train to NYC on Sunday for the BAM show that evening. Another chance to congregate.

I have plans for dinner Sat but am hoping to meet people during intermission -- I suppose by Kennedy head? -- Friday & Sat. This is assuming health & weather cooperate for trip!

The way the airlines work it's actually cheaper for me to fly from D.C. to NY than to take train since I am flying into D.C. As always with the airlines - ours not to reason why. But I do hope to be at BAM as well on Sunday night.

I know I'm lucky to be able even to plan this kind of trip, but confess to a twinge of envy for those of you who live in cities that get great ballet regularly, touring companies and all. I am not a sanguine traveler.

I will be rushing to catch the 23th performance, because my plane arrives in DC with very little time to spare-( I might even have to go straight to the KC before hotel), but I will be there until the 28th, so I will be happy to meet!! ;-)

I will be doing a double header on Saturday the 27th seeing Kolegova at the matinee and Big Red in the evening. Would be happy to meet up between shows.

I will check the JFK head during intermissions but I doubt I will remember which days everyone is attending. But I have met a few people in the past so if I recognize people I will also meet new people. Problem is I won't recognize people who I don't know when there isn't a person I know standing there but maybe I will say, "Hello!" to strangers that look like they are looking for others! And if they aren't BA people, oh, well....LOL

I will check the JFK head during intermissions but I doubt I will remember which days everyone is attending. But I have met a few people in the past so if I recognize people I will also meet new people. Problem is I won't recognize people who I don't know when there isn't a person I know standing there but maybe I will say, "Hello!" to strangers that look like they are looking for others! And if they aren't BA people, oh, well....LOL

Maybe you should all wear a red carnation to enable easy BA identification(? Or similar? Or adopt a pose (to be pre-determined, such as Raymonda Hungarian pose?!) Hope you all enjoy Raymonda!

Birdsall's plan is pretty much mine as well -- to head to Kennedy head Friday/Sat intermissions and hope that those I recognize will allow for a graceful hello to people I have yet to meet! That is, with the universe's cooperation and spitting to ward off the evil eye that I make it!

Maybe you should all wear a red carnation to enable easy BA identification(? Or similar? Or adopt a pose (to be pre-determined, such as Raymonda Hungarian pose?!) Hope you all enjoy Raymonda!

LOL Hungarian pose would be funny. I notice some people have their pic on their BA profile. How do you add a pic?

So by the sculpture then...? Perfect. As usual, blonde skinny guy all in black with glasses, easy to recognize here. I am working tonight, so I will be destroyed by tomorrow evening, but..ballet will save the day!! See you all there! :tiphat:

LOL Hungarian pose would be funny. I notice some people have their pic on their BA profile. How do you add a pic?

I tried to add my pic (avatar). BA admins seem not to know. I saw the spot where one would presumably "touch" to upload a photo (box with "grey head") but it seems locked (?). Maybe it has to do with number of posts achieved or level, in order to be able to upload one's pic? I'm only at Diamond level w/ a mere 5,000 posts, so I cannot upload my pic. (Ha ha)

Until then, here's the link to profile pic on my FB page, surrounded by Zurich's swans: https://m.facebook.com/profile.php

(Jeannette Nabatov)

Looking forward to seeing everyone tonight and in days ahead. Safe travels to all. RAYMONDA or bust!

That's a great solution, Natalia, since we don't support avatars for BA!

Most people who want their profile photo to be public have it posted on social media, and a link is fine. Also, Google and Flickr, for example, allow people to host photos and link to them.