This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mariinsky's Raymonda To the KC in Feb 2016

I haven't seen a live full-length Raymonda in some years, but I should think that--like Aurora--Raymonda should be subtly different in each act. Fresh and youthful in her entrance certainly, though still a blue-blood and, by the end, radiating aristocratic grandeur. (At least "ballet" aristocratic -- which is as absurd in its way as "ballet" peasant. Though very beautiful.)

And any good ballerinas will mold the role a bit towards her particular strengths--the role has its requirements, but if the ballet didn't allow for some interpretive range it could be danced by holographs.

Despite the damsel in distress aspects, the choreography endows Raymonda with more agency and character than the story does. I like that about Petipa.

Yes, although she's in a spot of bother (!) Raymonda is an aristocrat, not just any girl, and so the quality of aristocratic refinement should be present in each variation, although, as you say, each variation should be "subtly different"!

The only time that Medora is a damsel in distress is at the beginning, when she's about to be sold into marriage. She takes to Petite Corsaire like a fish to water, and even survives a shipwreck.

Raymonda is an interesting character who is allowed a discomfiting vision scene, or at least a discomfiting dream vision scene, highly unusual in at least the surviving Petipa classics. Sergei Filin (in the Bolshoi version) is the only Jean de Brienne I've ever seen who I thought should make her forget Abderakhman. Unless, of course, Gediminas Taranda was dancing Abderakhman.

One of the things that I like about Raymonda is that ballerinas seem to feel freer to interpret it differently: it just doesn't come with the same emotional baggage as Swan Lake or Giselle. My favorite take on the role actually isn't any of the ones mentioned!

I like seeing a more worldly, adult, playful Raymonda in the final act: it provides a great--but logical--contrast to the fresh (and then vision) maiden of the first acts of the ballet. I can't speak to their full interpretations of the role, but the Act III clips I've seen online of Plisetskaya and van Hamel locked this interpretation in my head: they seemed intent on showing how much fun it was to become an adult woman and wife, free from the uncertainties of girlhood.

That said, I also enjoy the grand, severe approach taken by Kondaurova and Marie-Agnès Gillot. Like folks have said, it leaves one few places take the characterization...but what an impression it makes in the final act!

The only time that Medora is a damsel in distress is at the beginning, when she's about to be sold into marriage. She takes to Petite Corsaire like a fish to water, and even survives a shipwreck.

Raymonda is an interesting character who is allowed a discomfiting vision scene, or at least a discomfiting dream vision scene, highly unusual in at least the surviving Petipa classics. Sergei Filin (in the Bolshoi version) is the only Jean de Brienne I've ever seen who I thought should make her forget Abderakhman. Unless, of course, Gediminas Taranda was dancing Abderakhman.

Medora, Gamzatti, Raymonda, Aurora are different characters by nature and nurture. And we will have as Abderakham's, Smekalov and Zverev. .

Medora, Gamzatti, Raymonda, Aurora are different characters by nature and nurture. And we will have as Abderakham's, Smekalov and Zverev. This link is to the full Segerstrom cast so we should have some wonderful dancers in variations: http://www.scfta.org/scfta/media/General/PDFs/Program_MariinskyBallet_Raymonda.pdf

I'm happy with all the casts.

Both these Abderakhams are excellent, in particular Zverev, who really can steal the scene away from any of the current JdBs! He has such presence on stage! But he should be given JdB. He is a wonderful dancer!

Yes--I'm not indifferent to casting, but the chance to see this ballet is the great thing with me too. Especially this ballet as danced by this company. (Weather and ballet gods cooperating, I will be there Friday and Sat, and see all three casts. And I hope to meet some fellow posters on this site, too, as Cubanmiamiboy earlier suggested.)

Edited to Add: Maps I would love to see the poster, but haven't been able to track down an image of it.

Actually, Skorik would probably at this point be fine in fouettes and most technical moves. She has improved in that respect. She probably won't mess up technically. But hopefully her acting and musicality (which in the past has been almost zero) has improved since I saw her this past summer.

Raymonda, in my opinion, should be girlish and dainty in Act 1 picking up the flowers on her entrance very elegantly and joyfully. She is also a bit taken aback by Abderakhman in that first scene. Then, she is almost in a dream and trance-like in the second scene and fearful of the appearance in the dream of Abderakhman. In Act 2 (the gorgeous blue tutu is in this scene) she attempts to overcome her fear and be polite to Abderakhman and then fear for the safety of Jean de Brienne and horror at Abderakhman's death. The final act she has come through trauma and takes the stage as a woman of the world. This is all my own interpretation. Basically, a lot of people think this is not that much of an acting role (thin plot), but I think a ballerina can make quite a lot out of the role if she wants. For me personally it is not just a technical role.

But I agree. It is great to see this version and simply watching the corps in the lovely Act 1 waltz with flowers will be delightful. The character dances of Act 2 are interesting especially the Spanish dance if the Spanish female has the amazing back bends (that make her look like she's going to break her back) that I have seen in the past. Not all dancers in this role do it the way Galina Rakhmanova did. She was jaw dropping!!!!! Maria Adzhamova is also amazing with the backbends in this. Petushkova has been dancing it a lot and even though I love her in evil roles I find her a bit lacking in the back bends for the Spanish dance in Raymonda. Your jaw does not drop to the floor and fear for her back when she dances it.

Yes--I'm not indifferent to casting, but the chance to see this ballet is the great thing with me too. Especially this ballet as danced by this company. (Weather and ballet gods cooperating, I will be there Friday and Sat, and see all three casts. And I hope to meet some fellow posters on this site, too, as Cubanmiamiboy earlier suggested.)

Edited to Add: Maps I would love to see the poster, but haven't been able to track down an image of it.

I can't figure out how to upload pictures! Skorik blue tutu poster is huge maybe 4-5 feet high. https://mapskc.shutterfly.com/

The poster is pretty, but sort of a generic pose. They should had gone with the iconic Raymonda hand touching head position.

I agree--I wonder if they thought this image would 'read' to the general public better.

Edited to add: I just realized there were two Skorik Raymonda posters--I was commenting on the one with her leg extended high up to the side. I think the one from the vision scene (in arabesque in a white tutu) is really quite beautiful and less generic even if not the hand-to-head Hungarian pose.

I'll be there on the 23rd (opener-Skorik), then back for Saturday, the 27th's "Double Header" (Kolegova/Kondaurova). I usually stay-put up in 2nd Tier during intermissions but can certainly meet kind BA souls before or after shows! In the past, we met near the big Kennedy-Head sculpture in the main lobby, across from the entrance to the Opera House venue.

I'm skipping the opener but will be there 2/24- 2/27. Would be happy to meet at the Kennedy sculpture during intermissions.Since it looks like many of us will be there for the Saturday double header, perhaps we can get together for a meal between show at the KC Cafeteria?

I'll be there Tuesday through Thursday and would look forward to meeting people at intermissions at the Kennedy bust in the lobby (mentioned by Natalia above). Also, on Tuesday various ballet fans are planning on hooking up in the cafeteria upstairs before the show for dinner. All ballet alert folks are welcome!