This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mariinsky's Raymonda To the KC in Feb 2016

. Also, we have Raymonda experts on this site, few and far between are any fans who have seen the 'white lady' as a major factor in modern productions. The La Scala reconstruction of course is different.

I wasn't claiming that it was a major factor for most experts (and trust me, I know there are plenty on this board), but it was something that was mentioned in above posts as being noticed.

I'm simply saying that the one good thing about seeing a production for the very first time is that I'm easily pleased. I don't notice a lot of the minor technical miscues and I don't feel sad over things being omitted in restagings because I don't know they exist yet. And with companies like the Mariinsky, I'm not too bummed over casting, as I've never seen the majority of these dancers live anyway. I fully enjoyed my newbie naivete for my first Raymonda experience. It might not be as wonderful next time, because I will have something to compare it to.

White Lady appears in every major production I've seen, including Bolshoi & POB. It's not just a La Scala thing. The Kirov-Mariinsky is by far the greatest aberration...not to say that it is not a pretty version...just very, very different.

My qualm is that this and other 1940s/50s K Sergeyev stagings were "sold" to Soviet audiences as if they were Petipa's Holy Grail. Nothing could have been further from the truth! Yet, I respect the K Sergeyevs as unique works of art in and of themselves. Just don't call them "Petipa" AND - even worse - arrogantly bury heads in the sand and dismiss the work of stagers like Vikharev and Ratmansky who shed light on the truth. The truth hurts when one was led to believe that something else was the be-all and end-all. Like the lies in the newspaper PRAVDA ("The Truth") during USSR times!

White Lady appears in every major production I've seen, including Bolshoi & POB. It's not just a La Scala thing. The Kirov-Mariinsky is by far the greatest aberration...not to say that it is not a pretty version...just very, very different.

My qualm is that this and other 1940s/50s K Sergeyev stagings were "sold" to Soviet audiences as if they were Petipa's Holy Grail. Nothing could have been further from the truth! Yet, I respect the K Sergeyevs as unique works of art in and of themselves. Just don't call them "Petipa" AND - even worse - arrogantly bury heads in the sand and dismiss the work of stagers like Vikharev and Ratmansky who shed light on the truth. The truth hurts when one was led to believe that something else was the be-all and end-all. Like the lies in the newspaper PRAVDA ("The Truth") during USSR times!

THe White Lady does NOT appear in the Bolshoi production. I have just come back from Russia, where I saw a number of Don Quixotes and Raymondas, and I can tell you there is not one glimpse of a White Lady in the current Bolshoi production (or in the Mariinsky one either!)

Kaysta--I love your point. Even as someone who has been going to the ballet for years, I try to take it 'as it comes' to speak. Even if I do have a few criticisms from time to time.

Re 'holy writ:' I remember how astonished a Russian acquaintance of mine was (she had emigrated from the Soviet Union at end of the 80's), to learn that Swan Lake did not originally have a happy ending -- not in this world anyway -- for Odette and Siegfried.

THe White Lady does NOT appear in the Bolshoi production. I have just come back from Russia, where I saw a number of Don Quixotes and Raymondas, and I can tell you there is not one glimpse of a White Lady in the current Bolshoi production (or in the Mariinsky one either!)

Wrong... Or, rather, WRONG!!!! Look at the film with Bessmertnova. WL just walks around but she's there.

Cubanmiamiboy, was that your booming voice in front-Orchestra yelling "Bravo!" right after the A1-sc2 Pdd last night, right before the rest of the audience applauded? I could swear I detected your voice from way up in my 2nd Tier seat. :)

Yes, Natasha. That was me! I rarely get so transfixed as I was by Katya and Danila's artistry in this pdd. This is, along with the Sugar Plum pdd and Diamonds, one of my all time favorite adagios from the whole ballet repertoire. The Cuban company presents it often in gala performances, and it had been quite a long time since I saw it for last time live. I absolutely ADORED their performance, so I just had to shout it out loud.

Yes, Natasha. That was me! I rarely get so transfixed as I was by Katya and Danila's artistry in this pdd. This is, along with the Sugar Plum pdd and Diamonds, one of my all time favorite adagios from the whole ballet repertoire. The Cuban company presents it often in gala performances, and it had been quite a long time since I saw it for last time live. I absolutely ADORED their performance, so I just had to shout it out loud.

Ha! I knew it. Glad that you had so much fun in DC. It was great having you and the other visiting fans from all over the USA! :)

Skorik danced Act 1 today and I kept dozing so maybe it wasn't the wine at all on Friday but Skorik. Then, when we sat down for Act 2 it was announced Anastasia Kolegova would dance the rest of the leading role. The Gods smiled down on me because I considered skipping the final one!

And to me it looked like entrechats quatre that Kolegova did like always. Calves were switching.

Skorik was the only one of the three Rays to perform changements on pointe during the A2 solo. The other two just performed hops on pointe without switching the feet. This of course contrasts with the 1898 version at La Scala in which Ray performs a long series of entrechats six...but that's the great Novikova!

Novikova performed the entrechat quatre series in the reconstruction, not entrechat six. Which was still fantastic, as I don't see how entrechat six en pointe would be possible.

(0:47 in the video)

Skorik danced Act 1 today and I kept dozing so maybe it wasn't the wine at all on Friday but Skorik. Then, when we sat down for Act 2 it was announced Anastasia Kolegova would dance the rest of the leading role. The Gods smiled down on me because I considered skipping the final one!

And to me it looked like entrechats quatre that Kolegova did like always. Calves were switching.

Kolegova's feet stationary yesterday. Doesn't matter; I still enjoyed her very much.

Yes, doesn't matter and not being argumentative but it looked like entrechats to me and I have videos of her doing entrechats as well. But Kondaurova last night did look like she was just hopping but I could be wrong. I just can't imagine they would choose to hop. It seems like they would do changements if they chose not to do entrechats.

Sometimes the eye can be deceiving. I would swear that Skorik onky did changements on pointe, not entrechats, while Katya only did sautees. Entrechat sixes are indeed quite impossible to do on pointe. In any case, maybe entrechat trois. On the other side, there is this anecdote of Nureyev i read in one of his biographies, in whicg he was watching a rehearsal at POB, and the danseur was to execute entrechat sixes, and thinking that Rudy was dozing off, he just went easy without putting much effort. Well, Rudy suddenly stomped off his chair, threw something on the floor, interrupted the music and scream at the dancer.."Entrechat six..?!?!...THAT'S ENTRECHAT PISS!!!" ;-)

Why should an art that is supposed to calm our hearts cause arguments beyond the healthy norm? I choose love because ballet brings joy. If someone doesn't see a White Lady in Grigorovich's RAYMONDA, then that's ok. If someone swore to see changements instead of steady hops, then I applaud you...because we should be in this for joy.

I hope that everybody who traveled for the Mariinsky has a blessed journey back home. Keep on dancin' in your hearts.

Kondaurova did clearer entrechats quatre. Kolegova looked like she was attempting them, but got only a wiggle. Skorik did changements.

;-)

It was a lovely run.

Agree that Skorik looked better in the Friday show.

Wish I had had time to meet everyone. On to NYCB next week!

No discernible moment of injury for Skorik. Just a general malaise throughout although her lines were beautiful. Askerov attempted romance in the dream but captured a wili. Act 2- announced Kolegeva doing Raymonda in Acts 2 and 3 and unfortunately didn't also sub in Chebynkina. Kolegeva was enchanting as usual, Askerov delivered excellent class grand allegro on his diagonals. I never saw Skorik in other than act 1. Kondaurova and Kolegeva did entrechats just not quite complete quatre [more height on the jump]. They had great performances throughout all acts/shows. Loved Korsuntsev as de Brienne.

After 8 Raymondas (counting the open rehearsal) I could still see it again! Did not feel that way about last year's Rite of Spring/Paquita/etc.

Side note: a Ballet Alert member Kristen gave me the most wonderful tip about a restaurant in DC called Zaytinya...Mediterranean cuisine tapas style (mezze)...we got the "Chef's Experience" and "Beverage experience"....I thought I died and went to Heaven!!!!! Amazing! Amazing! Amazing! But I probably gained 20 lbs. just on that one meal.

Why should an art that is supposed to calm our hearts cause arguments beyond the healthy norm? I choose love because ballet brings joy. If someone doesn't see a White Lady in Grigorovich's RAYMONDA, then that's ok. If someone swore to see changements instead of steady hops, then I applaud you...because we should be in this for joy.

I hope that everybody who traveled for the Mariinsky has a blessed journey back home. Keep on dancin' in your hearts.

Tone is difficult in writing. I was not being argumentative in a mean spirited way, just saying I believe I saw entrechats. I saw Skorik do changements on her two full performances (Kolegova took over during Skorik's final show so Skorik was already gone at that point in the ballet). I believe Kondaurova and Kolegova both did entrechats, but I could be wrong. Kondaurova's did look more like simply hopping but someone else said she did do entrechats. On videos of every Mariinsky ballerina who currently dances Raymonda they all either do changements or entrechats. Lopatkina always does changements apparently from what I have seen both live and on video. If all they did was hop downstage I find that really unusual. But maybe you're right. Anything is possible in the crazy Mariinsky world. It doesn't really matter and I am not saying all this to argue. Not saying any of this in a mean spirited way. Just saying what I think happened but I could be wrong. I enjoyed meeting you and many other BA people and loved all the Raymondas even with problematic moments. I doubt I will ever get a chance to do a Raymonda marathon again in my life!!!! It was fun!

No discernible moment of injury for Skorik. Just a general malaise throughout although her lines were beautiful. Askerov attempted romance in the dream but got a wili. Act 2- announced Kolegeva doing Raymonda in Acts 2 and 3 and unfortunately didn't also sub in Chebynkina. Kolegeva was enchanting as usual, Askerov delivered excellent class grand allegro on his diagonals. I never saw Skorik in other than act 1. Kondaurova and Kolegeva did entrechats just not quite complete quatre [more height on the jump]. They had great performances throughout all acts/shows. Loved Korsuntsev as de Brienne.

Just have to laugh at "Askerov attempted romance in the dream but got a wili" LOL!!! I find him a very wooden actor, although he is a good enough partner, but I do think Skorik is not very forthcoming with her emotions on stage, so he was probably in a no-win situation.