This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mariinsky Japan Tour Nov-Dec 2015

For those interested, here is the casting for Mariinsky Japan Tour Nov-Dec 2015

Tokyo

Jewels 11/26
Emeralds Shrinkina, Sergeyev, Brilyova, Belyakov.
Rubies Batoeva, Kim, Kondaurova
Diamonds, Shapran, Askerov.

Legend of Love

11/27 Lopatkina, Somova, Yermakov, Smekalov
11/28 Tereshkina, Shirinkina, Shyklyarov, Zverev

Romeo & Juliet

11/30 Somova, Shklyarov
12/1 Tereshikina, Parish
12/2 Shapran, Askerov

Swan Lake
12/4 Somova & Kim,
12/5 Skorik & Parish,
12/5 Lopatkina & Korsutsev,
12/6 Kondaurova & Askerov

There are some performances outside Tokyo but the cast is not announced yet.

The announcement by Japan Arts (the impresario) mentioned that Kondaurova's withdrawal was due to injury, but not in the case of Shrinkina, it said for the Mariinsky Theatre's reasons (no details about that). So at least she is not injured.

The announcement by Japan Arts (the impresario) mentioned that Kondaurova's withdrawal was due to injury, but not in the case of Shrinkina, it said for the Mariinsky Theatre's reasons (no details about that). So at least she is not injured.

Maybe she just does not want to go on tour with her young baby?

There has been a lot of changes for the Mariinsky Japan tour. Somova and Selina withdrew because of company reasons, Somova SL replaced by Tereshkina, Tereshkina SL replaced by Kondaurova (who was in the original announcement but withdrew because of injury, glad she's back) and Shirinkina replacing Somova's Juliet. And now the tour started and the first night at Osaka, Tereshkina withdrew because she had fallen ill and Anastasia Matvienko replaced her. It is unknown whether Tereshkina will be dancing her other dates in Tokyo, she has not arrived in Japan yet because she needs medical exams.

I will be attending the press conference on Thursday so I hope I can report about it.

Wait, more changes? Somova has withdrawn? I thought she was replacing Shirinkina... So hold on, have they actually undone some cast changes now?

Yes, So actually some cast changes are undone.

Here is the latest cast.

http://www.japanarts.co.jp/mb2015/english.html

Tereshkina was okay and she will fulfill her engagements in Tokyo. Relief.

Another announcement. Natalia Makarova will come for the December 2nd performance of Romeo and Juliet and celebrate her birthday.

http://www.japanarts.co.jp/blog/blog.php?id=1654

Here is the video of the press conference. In Russian and with Japanese interpretation.

First night in Tokyo was Jewels and I enjoyed it a lot. Kondaurova seemed fully recovered from her injury and was commanding as Big Red in Rubies, also Kimin Kim is back from his injury in China and showed such delight in his dancing, Bateeva had much jazziness and musicality. Kristina Shapran a little unstable in Diamonds but nevertheless displayed her fragile beauty and lyricism, Askerov, although a little stiff was good with his accuracy and academism. The corps seemed good as well.

Kondaurova is replacing Skorik in Swan Lake on Saturday at Nagoya. (Skorik is in Japan now but she was not at the conference, but she is still scheduled to dance in Swan Lake on December 5th)

Thanks Naomi, do you know what's being said, aside from the promotion of the tour?

Yes, I was at the conference. One journalist asked why so many dancers left the company this decade and also not much Vaganova graduates joined the company. But Fateev's answers were not convincing. He did speak about the globalization of ballet, with having Kim and Parish for example.

Also, this was the first time Mariinsky's Legend of Love performed outside Russia. They now consider it is time to be seen overseas, and the are planning to bring it on tour, for instance Europe and North America. Fateev thinks this work displays the Mariinsky men's quality. They did not have Raymonda on tour till recently, and now it is touring US.

Shapran was asked why she joined the Mariinsky, and she said that the quality of the coaches, and the repertoire was attractive to her.

Oh right, thanks for the translation. I have to say bravo to Xander and Kimin for succeeding in learning Russian; it really sounds like they've done a great job!

Also, what did Masha say at 17:10 and what did Vladimir say at 23:10 that provoked laughter and made him go red? Lol!

What Masha Shrinkina said was nothing special, just saying that she will dance in Lengend of Love and Juliet, and how she appreciates the knowledgeable Japanese audience. Vladimir made us laugh by saying he had waited so long for his turn and got tired.

Xander was specially requested to speak in Russian this time. (there will be a book signing session of him on Sunday)

I was at the performance when Shklyarov was injured, it was when almost the performance was done, when he seemed to have a bad landing and did not appear on stage when he was supposed to. Yermakov replaced him and danced the last pas de deux, without makeup. Shklyarov did appear in the bows with Yermakov.

Here is the official announcement.

https://www.japanarts.co.jp/blog/blog.php?id=1677

It says his injury does not seem too serious so they were considering whether he could be on stage for Romeo and Juliet today, but eventually Phillipp Stepin will replace him. God bless Vladimir and wishing him a speedy recovery.

Apart form that happening, Legend of Love with Tereshkina, Shklyarov, Shrinkina and Zverev was a fabulous performance, the 4 main cast were marvelous and so dramatic. Tereshkina had so much charisma, her beautiful lines were stunning and also her dramatic portrayal touched out hearts. It does seem a dated work but there is plenty of virtuoso dancing and partnering, a lot to see of the strong corps both male and female, a fun ballet to watch. They said they will bring it to tours and I assure that will be a great experience for the audience.

And the cast of Romeo and Juliet on December 1 was announced, and Kimin Kim will dance the role of Mercutio. That sounds exciting.

Sorry to go a bit off topic, but do any of you Kirov fans have any insight into the casting for Baden Baden later this month? I am hoping for Kim in Corsair, if no one knows actual casting, even some informed guesses would be of value. Thanks.

On the Festspielhaus page that just 'announces' the company, it indicates that Lopatkina will be dancing in Little Humpbacked Horse on the 21st and Corsaire the 26th. ( http://www.festspielhaus.de/en/schwebende-schwaene-verzauberte-pferdchen-2/) . Perhaps you saw this already? I remember that she is not one of your favorites, but perhaps you can start some 'process of elimination' guesses about other nights...

They do usually seem to bring a slew of top dancers with them to Baden Baden.

I'm not arriving until the 24th so it is just the Corsairs and gala evening I'm curious about. I can't remember seeing Lopatkina in Corsair, it'll be interesting to see her in the role, I don't dislike her by the way, just prefer dancers with more warmth. It will be my third trip to see them there, great venue in a town that typifies ' Old Europe', I usually head for places like Madeira or Morocco at that time of the year but Baden Baden with a sprinkling of snow on it looks like the prettiest Christmas card you've ever seen.

Here is the video of the press conference. In Russian and with Japanese interpretation.

First night in Tokyo was Jewels and I enjoyed it a lot. Kondaurova seemed fully recovered from her injury and was commanding as Big Red in Rubies, also Kimin Kim is back from his injury in China and showed such delight in his dancing, Bateeva had much jazziness and musicality. Kristina Shapran a little unstable in Diamonds but nevertheless displayed her fragile beauty and lyricism, Askerov, although a little stiff was good with his accuracy and academism. The corps seemed good as well.

Kondaurova is replacing Skorik in Swan Lake on Saturday at Nagoya. (Skorik is in Japan now but she was not at the conference, but she is still scheduled to dance in Swan Lake on December 5th)

can anybody translate what Kimin Kim says at around 25:00 that results in laughter in the room? and what he says in general

Kimin made some laughter because he introduced himself in Japanese.

And what he said was that, it was Japan that he visited first for tour after he joined Mariinsky so it is a memorable place. And he is happy that he could dance his favorite roles, Siegfried, Mercutio and Rubies.

I'm not arriving until the 24th so it is just the Corsairs and gala evening I'm curious about. I can't remember seeing Lopatkina in Corsair, it'll be interesting to see her in the role, I don't dislike her by the way, just prefer dancers with more warmth. It will be my third trip to see them there, great venue in a town that typifies ' Old Europe', I usually head for places like Madeira or Morocco at that time of the year but Baden Baden with a sprinkling of snow on it looks like the prettiest Christmas card you've ever seen.

You may have already seen this on the website, but in case not...I just learned from an acquaintance going to Baden Baden and confirmed online that Lopatkina is out of Corsaire. Somova as Medora on the 26th (Batoeva as Gulnare)... The other Medoras are Tereshkina and Kolegova.