This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB 2015: Program 3

Partial casting for Program 3.

Note the world premiere of Myles Thatcher's Manifesto. Also, note that soloist Anthony Spaulding is now known as Anthony Vincent.

Program 3 - Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 8pm - Opening Night

VARIATIONS FOR TWO COUPLES

Composers: Benjamin Britten, Einojuhani Rautavaara, Stefan Kovács Tickmayer, Aster Piazzolla

Choreography: Hans van Manen

Conductor: Martin West

Frances Chung*, Davit Karapetyan*

Sarah Van Patten, Carlos Quenedit

PAUSE

THE VERTIGINOUS THRILL OF EXACTITUDE

Composer: Franz Shubert

Choreography: William Forsythe

Carlo Di Lanno*, Gennadi Nedvigin, Sasha De Sola, Vanessa Zahorian, Sofiane Sylve

INTERMISSION

World Premiere

MANIFESTO

Composer: Johan Sebastian Bach, arranged by Matthew Naughton

Choreographer: Myles Thatcher

Jennifer Stahl*, Sean Orza*

Sasha De Sola*, Steven Morse*

Dores Andre*, Hansuke Yamamoto*

INTERMISSION

"THE KINGDOM OF THE SHADES" FROM LA BAYADERE, ACT II

Choreographer: Natalia Makarova after Marius Petipa

Composer: Ludwig Minkus with orchestration by John Lanchbery

Yuan Yuan Tan, Taras Domitro*

Mathilde Froustey, Frances Chung,Dores Andre

Program 3 - Wednesday, February 25, 2015 - 7:30pm

Composers: Benjamin Britten, Einojuhani Rautavaara, Stefan Kovács Tickmayer, Aster Piazzolla

Frances Chung, Davit Karapetyan

PAUSE

Carlo Di Lanno, Gennadi Nedvigin, Frances Chung, Jennifer Stahl, Sofiane Sylve

INTERMISSION

MANIFESTO

Kristina Lind*, Henry Sidford*

Norika Matsuyama*, Benjamin Freemantle*

Alexandra Meyer-Lorey*, Daniel Deivison-Oliveira*

INTERMISSION

“THE KINGDOM OF THE SHADES” FROM LA BAYADÈRE, ACT II

Maria Kochetkova, Joseph Walsh^

Mathilde Froustey, Sasha De Sola, Dores Andre

^Premiere in this production

Program 3 - Friday, February 27, 2015 - 8pm

Sofiane Sylve, Luke Ingham

Vanessa Zahorian, Vitor Luiz*

Vanessa Zahorian, Anthony Vincent

PAUSE

Francisco Mungamba, Gennadi Nedvigin, Julia Rowe, Jennifer Stahl,

Dores Andre

Francisco Mungamba, Joseph Walsh, Julia Rowe, Vanessa Zahorian, Dores Andre

INTERMISSION

MANIFESTO

Jennifer Stahl, Sean Orza

Sasha De Sola, Steven Morse

Dores Andre, Hansuke Yamamoto

INTERMISSION

Maria Kochetkova, Joseph Walsh

Koto Ishihara, Norika Matsuyama, Sasha De Sola

Frances Chung, Vitor Luiz

Sasha De Sola, WanTing Zhao*, Norika Matsuyama

Program 3 - Sunday, March 01, 2015 - 2pm

Vanessa Zahorian, Anthony Vincent

PAUSE

Francisco Mungamba, Gennadi Nedvigin, Sasha De Sola, Jennifer Stahl,

Dores Andre

Esteban Hernandez*, James Sofranko, Sasha De Sola, Jennifer Stahl, Norika Matsuyama*

INTERMISSION

MANIFESTO

Kristina Lind, Henry Sidford

Norika Matsuyama, Benjamin Freemantle

Alexandra Meyer-Lorey, Daniel Deivison-Oliveira

INTERMISSION

Frances Chung, Vitor Luiz

Mathilde Froustey, Julia Rowe,* WanTing Zhao*

Maria Kochetkova, Joseph Walsh

Koto Ishihara, Frances Chung, Julia Rowe*

I checked SFB's website and the casting has changed for Friday, Feb. 27, with, for example, Frances Chung in La Bayadere and Vanessa Zahorian in The Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude, which I will be seeing. The casting is also up for Thursday's Dancing at a Gathering and Hummingbird.

The posted casting for programs 3 and 4 seems to change daily. It appears that soloist Sasha DeSola is injured or indisposed as her name is no longer listed, though she was originally listed in the first-night casts for The Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude, the new Myles Thatcher work, and Dances at a Gathering, as well as cast as a solo Shades (and dancing two different variations) in La Bayadere Kingdom of the Shades. Hope she is back on stage soon.

The posted casting for programs 3 and 4 seems to change daily. It appears that soloist Sasha DeSola is injured or indisposed as her name is no longer listed, though she was originally listed in the first-night casts for The Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude, the new Myles Thatcher work, and Dances at a Gathering, as well as cast as a solo Shades (and dancing two different variations) in La Bayadere Kingdom of the Shades. Hope she is back on stage soon.

Yikes! De Sola is still listed for March 1, Program 3, but we shall see then. Lets hope it's nothing more than a strain.

This was a full and rewarding program to see. On opening night almost all of the choreographers bounded out onto stage: William Forsythe's presence seemed to catch Sofiane Sylve completely off guard - there was a spirited interchange between them; next was bright young Myles Thatcher catching up with his colleagues, and then, if not Petipa, lovely Natalia Makarova in red crocheted Chanelish jacket, in great contrast to all the white Shades around her.

Of the program proper I liked the waltz-ish latter part of the van Manen Variations better than the first. And after a pause came the breakneck Vertinginous Thrill which seemed to be taken at much faster tempos than at the Gala. Never had I seen Sylve dance with such fire and speed - usually she seems to take all the time in the world to have her say. Carlo Di Lanno, among his other charms, is interesting in the way his arms describe solid and articulate Leonardo-like arcs of movement. Kingdom of the Shades with Froustey, Tan and Domitro was a pleasure to watch, though the entrance of the Shades was a bit rickety and the ramps looked like leftovers from Suite in Blanc.

Perhaps Manifesto should have been shorter, less ambitious, more brightly lit and merely a set of variations of basic movements set on five or so dancers - less a manifesto than a few interesting axioms. Just as the Golberg Variations which figured in the piece are embellishments of a simple banal tune. And the dances you see from Alexei Ratmansky and Justin Peck seem to be going in another direction from the well appointed San Francisco school of dark voluptuous velvetness. They're bright, bare boned, all structure, full of wit and a nice shock to the system. It might not be such a bad sort of trendiness to be accused of.

Thanks, Quiggin, for your comments. I also enjoyed this program, which I saw on February 27, 2015. I enjoyed the juxtaposition of Sofiane Sylve and Vanessa Zahorian on stage in van Manen's Variations for Two Couples, as they are both technical monsters, but Sylve was majestic and Zahorian delicate but still strong. Then came The Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude, which I've only seen online. For me, of the three women, only Julia Rowe had the freedom of movement in the torso, shoulders, head, and neck, plus a throw-it-all-away-ness. The ballet itself is a delight.

Manifesto was danced with conviction by all its cast. Myles Thatcher did commendable work, no doubt learned a lot, and the dancers were brilliant.

Then came La Bayadere - Kingdom of the Shades. The corps de ballet were pretty solid and unified in the opening passage of arabesques through to their first exit from the stage. In some of the allegro passages, the corps was not always together as to where their bodies were facing, which comes from their not being from the same school. Vitor Luiz was an excellent Solor. I was bowled over by Frances Chung in the lead. She was pulled up out of her torso which gave her classical-ballerina carriage and danced with a solemnity and majesty (and perfection) that I had not seen from her before. She was breathtaking. It has been amazing seeing her constant growth as an artist over the years.

Although I had to leave before the Shades scene, I enjoyed most of the rest of the program. Variations for Two Couples didn't impress me much, but I love Vertiginous etc. This was my first look at Carlo di Lanno and he's very impressive. He appears to be on the tallish side, which isn't always good for speed, but he has the ability to move fast without looking rushed. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's the next promotion to principal. Agree with Josette re Julia Rowe, who's rapidly becoming one of my favorites.

I also liked the talented Myles Thatcher's Manifesto. He moved groups around well, although there were a few moments of incoherence as if he'd backed himself into a corner and couldn't figure out how to get back to center floor. I was somewhat less impressed with the three (if memory serves) pas de deux, which seemed rather ordinary, although Norika Matsuyama was a delight in the second. It will be interesting to see what Thatcher comes up with in the future. And I must say that I hope he continues to use mainly corp members for his future ballets. What a talented group they are and what a delight to see them shine as individuals.

Then came La Bayadere - Kingdom of the Shades. The corps de ballet were pretty solid and unified in the opening passage of arabesques through to their first exit from the stage. In some of the allegro passages, the corps was not always together as to where their bodies were facing, which comes from their not being from the same school. Vitor Luiz was an excellent Solor. I was bowled over by Frances Chung in the lead. She was pulled up out of her torso which gave her classical-ballerina carriage and danced with a solemnity and majesty (and perfection) that I had not seen from her before. She was breathtaking. It has been amazing seeing her constant growth as an artist over the years.

Inquiring minds want to know: with Powell out, who led the Shades down the ramp?