This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

POB promotion competition 2014-15

Also, I remember reading an article about Ludmila Pagliero, POB's Argentinian etoile, in which it said that she had not attended the POB school. Correct if I'm wrong. And this happened obviously before Millepied's reign.

Yes you're right.... and quite a few others... A couple of Italians like Alessio Carbone, Simone Valastro who attended Scala school, Francesco Vantaggio (from Roma I think) and were admitted straight to the corps de ballet.

Otherwise, I think Mathieu Ganio has only spent two years at the School, coming from Marseille, Jose Martinez , only one from Rosella Hightower School, Isabelle CIaravola, Clairemarie Osta, Nolwenn Daniel spent one (Osta) or two years at POB school coming from the Conservatoire.

I don't think Adrien Couvez went to POB school at all. He did the Conservatoire as well. And there must be a lot more that I'm not aware of (Miho Fuji?)

Of course, most of the dancers are coming from the school, but the landcape is more diverse than we may think.

Yes, my impression was that Millepied wants more Paglieros (in the sense of her training) to broaden the company.

Perhaps I am wrong to think this, but I don't consider the Conservatoire to be an outside school in terms of style. (I know that for the competition it is considered external now.) Is Conservatoire style and training different from that of the Ecole de Danse? Platel was trained at the Conservatoire, and I consider her to be one of the foremost exemplars of the "French school."

Of the remaining three -- Audric Bezard, Vincent Chaillet and Florian Magenenet -- they're all very tall and very handsome. Whether they have that extra "something" needed to become an etoile I will leave to our French correspondents to comment on.

I have not had an opportunity to watch him all that extensively, but I definitely think Bezard has "something." I find him genuinely interesting, and he projects a certain kind of danger on stage. It's an unusual sort of charisma, but it's potent and intriguing.

There is also a lot to admire in Chaillet and Magnenet, to be sure.