This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Simone Messmer

theo

Here she is doing contemporary from quite a few years ago. Could be interesting.  I think that classical presents the best stage for her because of its detail and dimension, but let's see. She's a great talent. I hope that she can hang in long enough to let us see it. Best wishes to her.

Edited by Buddy

There was a terrific livestream this evening at 6 pm of grangalaporlosninos.org, a benefit put together by Julio Bocca's foundation.

Many artists contributed.  I am sorry, but I don't have detailed information on who/what/when.

Around the 22:30 minute mark, Simone dances "Allure," the solo made on her by Demis Volpi.  Beautiful piece, powerful dancing.  She mentioned on her Facebook and Instagram  pages.

On 10/24/2020 at 6:50 PM, Juliet said:

There was a terrific livestream this evening at 6 pm of grangalaporlosninos.org, a benefit put together by Julio Bocca's foundation.

Many artists contributed.  I am sorry, but I don't have detailed information on who/what/when.

Around the 22:30 minute mark, Simone dances "Allure," the solo made on her by Demis Volpi.  Beautiful piece, powerful dancing.  She mentioned on her Facebook and Instagram  pages.

Thanks, Juliet. I'm trying to find this if it's findable.

Simone Messmer once said something like, 'What you see, is what I am.'  Meaning that everything that she is is totally committed and totally visible, perhaps. On a stage, anyway, I've found this to be extremely impressive.

Edited by Buddy
1 hour ago, Buddy said:

Simone Messmer once said something like, 'What you see, is what I am.'  Meaning that everything that she is is totally committed and totally visible, perhaps. On a stage, anyway, I've found this to be extremely impressive.

This was posted on YouTube

1 hour ago, nanushka said:

Simone Messmer will appear in a performance of Concerto Barocco from Ballet Chicago, available starting tonight at 7 pm. More info here.

Thanks for posting this, nanushka! I signed up to watch. I don't know anything about Ballet Chicago. From the website, it looks primarily like a ballet school and junior company. Is that right, or am I missing something about a professional company? Also, I'm curious about what hall they perform in. 

20 minutes ago, cobweb said:

Thanks for posting this, nanushka! I signed up to watch. I don't know anything about Ballet Chicago. From the website, it looks primarily like a ballet school and junior company. Is that right, or am I missing something about a professional company? Also, I'm curious about what hall they perform in. 

Yes I think that’s correct. I’m curious when this performance was recorded. I didn’t notice that info listed anywhere.

2 hours ago, nanushka said:

Simone Messmer will appear in a performance of Concerto Barocco from Ballet Chicago, available starting tonight at 7 pm. More info here and here.

59 minutes ago, cobweb said:

I believe Jack Reed is our resident expert on Ballet Chicago:  https://balletalert.invisionzone.com/forum/252-ballet-chicago/
If he doesn't notice this thread perhaps you could message him for some information.

Having just written the above, I received an email with an access code. The performance should be available in 4 1/2 hours. Use Nanushka's first  link posted above.  Click on "RSVP" at bottom.

https://www.balletchicago.org/bravo-balanchine?utm_campaign=b967f77c-a966-401a-b919-0d9f74dd0e62&utm_source=so&utm_medium=mail_lp&cid=7d2d89cb-b5a9-40e3-90e2-17e08a9c0818

Added: The ticket is free, but a $20 donation is requested. This has to be done separately at the same link. I'm waiting to see if I can get the emission. Then I'd certainly consider a donation.

Edited by Buddy
On 11/6/2020 at 10:52 AM, Buddy said:

I can well believe that. I enjoyed her dancing when she was in San Francisco and I appreciate her candor in interviews, very rare in ballet.

15 minutes ago, dirac said:

I can well believe that. I enjoyed her dancing when she was in San Francisco and I appreciate her candor in interviews, very rare in ballet.

Thanks, Dirac.

In all honesty, "her candor" might be debatable, but her performing, in my limited viewing, has been exceptional.

In any case, I just finished watching "Concerto Barocco." The video is shot from a distance, so I couldn't tell you for sure that it's her, but it seems to be. Closeup detail has been very important in my appreciation of her.

Whoever is dancing the lead is doing a fine job that does resemble her. I intend to keep watching. Any chance to see her do something like this is a pleasure. The company is very enjoyable.

The video is available through next Friday, March 12. I'd be glad and intend to give a donation.

8 hours ago, cobweb said:

Here's a link to my post on the 2021 Free Streaming Video thread about that:

https://balletalert.invisionzone.com/topic/46027-2021-free-streaming-during-covid-19-crisis/?do=findComment&comment=432076

(Would any of you like to express a preference for seeing that whole post embedded here, which is the current default of our board software, rather than follow the link, which conserves our resources, I believe?) 

cobweb and nanushka, according to the program we get with access, the Barocco cast is indeed lead by Messmer, Nina Montalbano, and Jordan Nelson, and as I saw both programs in the Harris Theater here in Chicago, I can testify the date was May 11, 2019, though I'm not sure whether we are getting the matinee or evening show.

Adding a little more testimony, in case you'd like it:

https://balletalert.invisionzone.com/topic/44785-2019-spring-repertory-may-11-in-the-harris-theater-choreography-by-duell-seymour-balanchine/

(Scroll down.  Barocco concluded the program.)

Edited by Jack Reed
updating what I said

Thanks, Canbelto. This video seems to have a slightly better quality that what I was watching, although I still can't see her well enough to be certain that it's her. This is something that I'd like to watch over and over but it will be a test of my eyes.

The elements that I admire seem to be here. Her command, total commitment, personality choices that are right-on and a dancing prowess that can deliver this.

Again, the company is nice, especially for students. They have a youthful looseness that reminds me of The Miami City Ballet when Edward Villella was there.

Way to go, friends!  I want to thank pherank for his compliment, but the report of my expertise was exaggerated, to paraphrase one of my favorite American writers.  I'm glad canbelto filled in; that's what makes BalletAlert! true to its origin, a circle (online now) of ballet lovers cluing each other in.  But in that ancient New Yorker piece, Arlene Croce refers at the end to "the audience":  If it weren't for us, there'd be no one there except the audience.  I'd like to bring the more general audience in too, and I'm glad for reports of difficulties with access that I can bring to the attention of B.C.'s administration.