This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nutcracker 2014-15

Glad you at least got a Sugarplum replacement you're happy with, Amour. They do not seem to be updating the casting sheets at all on-line. The only way to see the cast change is to go into the program where you buy a ticket for that date, and the casting pops up for that date. Enjoy!

Thanks so much, abatt! Yes, I'm so glad we got such a great replacement:)

Razor, the partial-view seats are about $38, depending on the balcony level, I think. You definitely miss part of the stage (if you want to see the Christmas tree grow, sit on the right side of the house), and some of the seats are awful, especially if you're short, but I've found it workable.

Actually, I think the price if the ticket depends on the cast. The tickets I got for the Lovette/Finlay Nutcracker were substantiallly less than the Bouder (now Tiler)/De Luz Nutcracker. The house is almost completely sold out for the latter and the available seats (in the 4th ring) are $71 -$91.

Do you really think it's based on the cast? Or is it just that particular casts sold particularly well at an earlier date enabling the ticket pricing changes to kick in at a different pace? I don't mean to be pedantic...I'm genuinely curious/concerned, because it seems very antithetical to NYCB--even in today's era of pre-announced casting--to change prices based solely on cast.

Razor, the partial-view seats are about $38, depending on the balcony level, I think. You definitely miss part of the stage (if you want to see the Christmas tree grow, sit on the right side of the house), and some of the seats are awful, especially if you're short, but I've found it workable.

Thanks, Cobweb. Can't see myself paying over $100 at this point for 1 show - hope to nab the partial views instead.

The casting sheet seems wonky w/ all the name changes, but that's the way things go - not the same as what I thought I read over a wk back.

Drew - I was wondering the same thing too re: prices.

I don't think the ticket prices at NYCB are based on the casting. For Nutcracker, certain performances are designated as "peak" and others as "off peak". Also, I believe they charge more for Friday - Sunday and during X-Mas week.

Lots of dancers moonlight during Nutcracker season. There's big bucks in those guest appearances at small companies and venues.

Sadly, the subject of Nutcracker guest appearances has caused my mind to recall the tragedy of Jennifer Alexander and her husband on that fateful trip to a Nutcracker guest appearance.

Actually, I think the price if the ticket depends on the cast. The tickets I got for the Lovette/Finlay Nutcracker were substantiallly less than the Bouder (now Tiler)/De Luz Nutcracker. The house is almost completely sold out for the latter and the available seats (in the 4th ring) are $71 -$91.

Do you really think it's based on the cast? Or is it just that particular casts sold particularly well at an earlier date enabling the ticket pricing changes to kick in at a different pace? I don't mean to be pedantic...I'm genuinely curious/concerned, because it seems very antithetical to NYCB--even in today's era of pre-announced casting--to change prices based solely on cast.

I do think it's partially based on cast simply because casting is only announced 2 weeks in advance. If it were more time, I'd agree with you, Drew that a different cast just sold better. But, for example, this week's casting was announced at the same time. There was the new Sugarplum (Lovette) on Tuesday and the established star, Bouder on Friday. Tickets for the Bouder performance were immediately (from the get go) more expensive because 1) star vs soloist; and 2)weekend night vs weekday night. Also, the performance on the 12th with Bouder (now Tiler) also had other "stars": De Luz as Cavalier, Ulbright as Candy Cane and Peirera as Marzipan. It was selling about even with the Lovette performance (although it was priced higher) until a few days ago (that may be when Tiler was slotted in).

Hmm, per Tiler's public instagram, she's currently headed to Paris to see her husband. So ... it must be a quick trip if she has to be back by Friday.

Tiler retweeted my tweet about her subbing for Ashley on Friday so I know she's performing.

Considering it's an 8pm curtain and Sugarplum only gets onstage in Act 2 (approx. 8:50pm) Tiler could take an early afternoon flight home from Paris on Friday and still make the show.

About tonight's (Tuesday) performance, I'd like to start with the good. The first thing is though I've never paid much attention to the kids in Act 1, tonight little Sawyer Reo made the character of Fritz come alive in a way I had never seen it before. He was a great actor, mesmerizing really, as I found it hard to take my eyes off of him. I kept thinking this will be NYCB's Kim Kimin, if he keeps up his interest and works hard. Quite the talent there. I also liked Olivia MacKinnon (Harlequin), Claire Von Enck (Columbine) and Spartak Hoxha (Soldier). I found David Prottas to be neither creepy, funny, heartwarming nor old (or anything) enough as Drosselmeier. I loved the snow scene (well rehearsed I think) and Marie and Little prince were fine. I was thrilled to see that Justin Peck was not having to play the Mouse King, like last year.

As for Act 2 Lauren Lovette was.....fine. Fine and only fine. Doing something midway between marking and dancing full out. Of course, from the moment she took her first reverence I knew Dewdrop (Sara Mearns) would outshine Sugarplum and that's exactly what happened. As for Chase, his solos were ok but (as in the fall) he struggled a bit during the partnering, particularly the difficulty he had with the shoulder sits. I did, however, love Sara (who I usually think of as a dramatic adagio dancer) as Dewdrop, Anthony Huxley in Candy Cane and Taylor Stanley in Hot Chocolate. Marzipan (led by Sara Adams) was also fine. I felt sorry for poor Claire Kretzschmer who had to dance Coffee at a ridiculously fast tempo that no one would find sexy.

In all, I was a little disappointed in tonight because I hoped for more from Lovette (really my husband was the one who insisted we go tonight). I look forward to Friday when close to my dream cast is performing.

I saw the opening night show on Nov 28, and Bouder did dance Dew Drop (brilliantly). I think they took her out of the weekend Sugar Plum on Nov 29 because she was filling in as Dew Drop (for Mearns) on Nov 28 and Nov 30. Hope you get to see the cast you want!

Abatt, I always forget Dewdrop's exact choreography from year to year. If you saw Ashley you were so lucky. Her strengths: speed, jumps and an ever increasing ability to play with the music, are really brought out by that role. In fact, I think Ashley's probably more suited to Dewdrop than Sugarplum. I'm just sorry it looks like we won't see more Ashley in Nutcracker at all. More important, I hope she is healthy again once the winter season starts.

Also saw other Principals like Daniel Ulbricht, Maria Kowrowski, Zach Catazaro doing Nutcracker w/ other companies at other theatres - are guest appearances w/ other ballet companies a common collaboration?

Yes. At NYCB each principal generally performs only about 2 weeks of company Nutcrackers and then is free to do guest gigs.

You said it, abatt! It seems like they always put the interesting debuts in that week after Christmas... when I'm usually gone. :-(((

I wish I could see that performance! Ashly Isaacs, Taylor Stanley, Ashley Hod... All three are very exciting debuts by very exciting dancers. There are a slew of other debuts in that performance as well. I would love to see Claire von Enck leading Marzipan.

Believe it or not, they cast Claire von Enck as the grandmother on opening night on Nov 28. It was pretty funny to see this youthful dancer with a gray haired wig and a granny dress. Glad she's finally getting a nice debut in a dancing role.

By the way, Bouder is cast during x-mas week, so whatever was ailing her has been cured.

As for Act 2 Lauren Lovette was.....fine. Fine and only fine. Doing something midway between marking and dancing full out. Of course, from the moment she took her first reverence I knew Dewdrop (Sara Mearns) would outshine Sugarplum and that's exactly what happened. As for Chase, his solos were ok but (as in the fall) he struggled a bit during the partnering, particularly the difficulty he had with the shoulder sits. I did, however, love Sara (who I usually think of as a dramatic adagio dancer) as Dewdrop, Anthony Huxley in Candy Cane and Taylor Stanley in Hot Chocolate. Marzipan (led by Sara Adams) was also fine. I felt sorry for poor Claire Kretzschmer who had to dance Coffee at a ridiculously fast tempo that no one would find sexy.

In all, I was a little disappointed in tonight because I hoped for more from Lovette (really my husband was the one who insisted we go tonight). I look forward to Friday when close to my dream cast is performing.

wow....didn't sound like a fulfilling show ermm.gif & not surprised to read Sara creamed it as Dewdrop. didn't Lauren do Sugarplum & Chase do Cavalier before? sounded like an underwhelming performance from both.

You said it, abatt! It seems like they always put the interesting debuts in that week after Christmas... when I'm usually gone. :-(((

I wish I could see that performance! Ashly Isaacs, Taylor Stanley, Ashley Hod... All three are very exciting debuts by very exciting dancers. There are a slew of other debuts in that performance as well. I would love to see Claire von Enck leading Marzipan.

Yep. the 28th looks good w/ a lot of new names taking over new roles for the first time.

especially looking forward to seeing Jansen in the Cavalier role, & what else is in store for him in Winter Season.

I would love to see Claire von Enck leading Marzipan.

Claire Von Enck was terrific Tuesday as Columbine and Taylor Stanley as Hot Chocolate. Actually, I've been watching Taylor Stanley for a long while, thinking he is underused, so it's great he's getting to do Cavalier. I'd also like to see Anthony Huxley get to do some lead roles other than those for a "short" male. He is very charismatic and always interesting to watch, not a cookie cutter performer.And Devin Alberda is horribly underused. I've had some good conversations (at a restaurant) with him and despite his smart aleck Twitter presence he is a very dedicated dancer. I think he has a gorgeous, elegant upper body, long legs and solid technique. It is a terrible shame he is still languishing in the corps. Nutcracker is certainly the time to elevate all these good dancers into better roles.

wow....didn't sound like a fulfilling show :ermm: & not surprised to read Sara creamed it as Dewdrop. didn't Lauren do Sugarplum & Chase do Cavalier before? sounded like an underwhelming performance from both.

I think they have but still "underwhelming" is exactly the right word to describe their performance. I think having a star (Sara) next to them only highlighted the deficiencies in their performance. And Chase (despite his obvious partnering problems) was better than Lauren. She was the real disappointment. I know they're grooming her for principal but IMO she's definitely not ready yet.

By the way, Bouder is cast during x-mas week, so whatever was ailing her has been cured.

Thank you abatt, for alerting us to that. I didn't realuze casting was up yet for that week.

I think I'll get tickets for that performance, as it's another "all star" or "almost all star" cast and I want to see Ashley. I'm not convinced she's cured yet but obviously her injury is coming along well and she thinks she'll be able to dance by the 28th. If she can't, Tiler, Sara, and Tess are all there. The next day does have all the debuts but my brain doesn't process accurately enough at 1 pm so I'm going to sadly pass on that date. I await great reports from those that are going:)