This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mariinsky at BAM 2015

You can probably find youtube clips and reviews of both ballerinas doing SL to try and judge for yourself. A lot will depend on who ends up as their partners. I think there are a lot of Somova detractors here, but I thought she had made considerable improvements when I saw her do SL at the Kennedy Center a few years ago.

I think that's a matter of taste. I saw Somova this summer in London and was disappointed; I had expected more of a dancer with so much experience in this role.

I saw Kondaurova in 2009 (her second or third performance of the role) and was quite impressed, even if her portrayal of Odette isn't very convincing; she doesn't look particularly vulnerable, but her dancing is beautiful with gorgeous lines. Her Odile, on the other hand, was terrific.

Along with the Bolshoi's Olga Smirnova (Vaganova graduate) I consider these two ballerinas to be among the most interesting in the world. They are both extremely talented. But even more, they have both performed one of the greatest performances that I've ever seen. Alina Somova's exceptional La Baydere was then surpassed by her amazing 'Swan' (Fokine) at this year's Festival. (I would not let the video of this be the final word). Yekaterina Kondaurova's remarkable performance of All the leads in George Balanchine's Jewels at the previous Festival was also 'a greatest.'

As for 'most interesting,' I never know exactly what to expect. Yekaterina Kondaurova is perhaps the most consistent in fineness of dance. Lidewij, if it was her London Swan Lake that you saw, I waited at the stage door, first time ever, to congratulate her. She is also probably the Mariinsky's most versatile dancer, excelling in modern works, but her statuesque elegance also makes her one of their most beautiful at the classics. Out of the mainstream of discussion, but because I saw her do it, is her amazing ability at characterization. Her portrayals in Jewels, I felt were equal to some of the best from Broadway or Hollywood.

Alina Somova has always fascinated me. In essence she is a remarkably beautiful dancer. Her performances over the years have varied considerably in what she seems to be trying to accomplish. Since her return from maternity leave she does appear to be more focussed.

Her 'Swan' (Fokine) and Yekaterina Kondaurova's performance of Jewels were *Revelations* to me as to what both these artists are capable of. Where they chose to place the emphasis is a key factor. Both are extremely talented, but most exciting, both are capable of producing one of a kind, all-time great performances. When this might occur is unpredictable. Thus the interest and fascination. I would go to see either of them without hesitation. You are almost certain of seeing an extremely fine performance. You might wind up seeing one of the greatest.

Correction made: In the last sentence of paragraph two Jewels replaces Rubies.

Box office opened today for subscription for Friends of BAM. You can pick your own seats over the phone but not online. 20% off for 4-6 programs, and 30% off for 7 or more programs. And you can add 2 single tickets for each your subscription program at 15% off. Long wait on the phone but got thru eventually.

Not that I have any intention of buying 7 BAM programs, but I specifically inquired about the issue of getting 30 percent off for the purchase of 7 or more programs. I was told by the BAM ticket services agent that the 30 percent discount only applies to their "Next Wave Festival" in the Fall, and that the largest discount available for Winter/Spring 2015 subscriptions was 20 percent, not 30 percent. I was told that the reason is that there are more BAM offerings for the fall Next Wave Festival, and so they offer the larger 30 percent discount only for the Next Wave fall seasons. Sounds ridiculous, but there it is.

Casting has been updated and there have been changes. Somova is out, Skorik is in (with Parish!) Tereshkina/Shklyarov get 2 performances and Kondaurova's been switched to 1/21:

Principal casting: Viktoria Tereshkina/Vladimir Shklyarov (Jan 15), Ulyana Lopatkina/Yevgeny Ivanchenko (Jan 16), Yekaterina Kondaurova/Timur Askerov (Jan 21), Oxana Skorik/Xander Parish (Jan 22), Viktoria Tereshkina/Vladimir Shklyarov (Jan 23)

If London is any way to judge, Mariinsky casting could switch again. You don't really know who you'll get until about 1 day before! I'm sad Korsuntsev isn't coming and I have (again) to see Ivanchenko with Lopatkina. I also now have 2 Kondaurova SLs because I got the then TBA Jan. 21. I'll probably try to unload that date sooner towards the performance because I don't like Askerov. As for Skorik (iKNEW she would come) she's worth a look, not nearly the horror certain YT posters led me to believe. But if the Jan. 22 date is your only SL, I'd advise exchanging for another cast (also Parish is good but not THAT good. They should have given Kim a Siegfried instead).

Unfortunately, with the rest of the casting up it looks like we won't be getting a Pavlenko Cinderella. We'll be getting an A. Matvienko/ Sergeev Cinders with Pavlenko as the stepmother. What a shame.

Does Cinders have a lot of jumping? Matvienko (in London) was a terrific jumper and also great with fouettes. And I love Sergeev. He did the best Apollo (original version) I think I've ever seen. Given her age and the face she's a union rep, it doesn't surprise me that they downgraded Pavelenko. Then again, we may very well see more casting changes as January approaches (for the Mariinsky, nothing is set ever, really).

In regard to Daria Pavlenko, Amour, her two Giselles in Washington DC (2006) were among the finest performances I've ever seen. I saw her two years ago in a brief 'modernish' performance at the Mariinsky Festival and she looked as physically proficient as ever and impressively mature in her artistry. I'll also add that having viewed her offstage for the first time years ago, she was one of the most beautiful women that I've ever seen. Her husband, Alexander Sergeev, is indeed a wonderful performer.

Added:

I would also say that she is a person deserving of the most respect possible.

Dynamic pricing indeed (for some performances). Just checked the BAM site, and the Mezzanine price group that was $70 for Chopin is now $110, and $45 is now $70. The balcony pricing didn’t change though. Well the mezzanine for Swan Lake on 15-16 and Cinderella on 18th didn’t change

The seats I hoped to get for Swan Lake were $174! I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass especially since the specter of winter weather and work commitments may prevent me from making it into the city. I'll be kicking myself when I start to read reviews on this site but it was a decision I needed to make.