This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2015 Met season

Can anyone tell me when single tickets are available for online purchase for the spring-summer Met season? I want to see Marianela Nunez in Ashton's Cinderella. Thanks!

I think last year single tickets went on sale March 30th.

I can't wait to see Nunez in Cinderella as well. Given her history, I'm sure she'll be breathtaking with the Ashton choreography!

Can anyone tell me when single tickets are available for online purchase for the spring-summer Met season?

Many of you probably got the same e-mail last night: "last chance to subscribe..." At the end of the message:

Join us for ABT's 75th Anniversary this spring! SUBSCRIBE TODAY for best available seats before individual tickets go on sale to the general public on March 22.

Over on the Met/ABT site, it says that prices might go up on March 29, depending on demand. I guess they'll see what's popular during that first week of single ticket sales.

Subscriber exchange week begins on Sunday March 15 and runs through Sat March 21.

I don't know, but I'm assuming single tixs sales start on Sunday Mar 22 for the general public. You can call the Met and find out for sure.

The general public is given one week to buy tixs before dynamic pricing potentially kicks in.

Just catching up here, and it's interesting to read everyone's comments regarding the casting and general company health over at ABT. Thank you all.

I purchased a trio package, but I'll certainly try to do standing room to see some debuts. Like several of you, I'm very excited for Sarah Lane's Aurora with Herman Cornejo. I do wish more casting was up for Sleeping Beauty and La Bayadere. Hopefully I'll be able to catch Veronika Part as the Lilac Fairy. She is "world class" in that role, folks! (3 words: port de bras.) I'm excited to see what Ratmansky does with this ballet, and from what I've read, the designers are returning to the Baskt designs, so we'll be released from Disney tafetta-pastel-land. I'm guessing Ratmansky's version will be darker in general, and he'll probably dig up some oddities from the original libretto (like the bees in the Nutcracker).

I am also looking for to both castings of Othello. Do people despise this ballet?

I think Hammoudi has actually improved immensely, particularly his partnering. He does many principal roles, so yes, I think he will be promoted soon.

Some have pointed out the state of the ballerinas in the company with three retirements on the horizon. Personally, I hope this provides opportunity. I am excited about some of the soloists and their chances. I would certainly come to see a Boylston, Lane, or Abrerra Giselle or Juliet, were they cast. I would have liked to see Maria Riccetto or Simone Messmer get a chance. I miss them. (I don't think Michelle Wiles was a loss to the company. She seemed to have plateaued or worn out, and she wanted to explore other things. Although I did think of her when I saw Pillar of Fire listed this season. Wiles surprised me in that.) Reyes is a loss. She is versatile, consistent, and partners perfectly with Cornejo. But Lane and Copeland also dance well with Cornejo, so this may be an opportunity for them.

Unless I missed it, no one seems to mention Seminova in their assessment of the company. She is not a guest artist, is she? She appears in the Fall season too. Her Bayadere is pretty "world class," as far as I'm concerned. Yet I do agree with the commenter who suggested they didn't need to bring Kim in for Bayadere. Is he really such a ticket draw? Why not Whiteside, Gomes, or Hammoudi? Gomes is great with Seminova. But maybe he's finally tired.

I agree that ABT is a little too obsessed with the guest artists and thus loses talent from the soloist purgatory. I hope this can change a bit with the retirements. Still I'm looking forward to the season, and I still think they're lucky to have nabbed Ratmansky. NYCB is fantastic, no doubt, but ABT is something different.

I do agree with the commenter who suggested they didn't need to bring Kim in for Bayadere. Is he really such a ticket draw? Why not Whiteside, Gomes, or Hammoudi? Gomes is great with Seminova. But maybe he's finally tired.

Gomes said last year in an interview that he could no longer do Bayadere. I'm afraid he'll be "retiring" many other roles in the next few years.

Oh, and in regards to Misty Copeland. I would like to see Sarah Lane promoted first, and I do think Misty is unfinished in some ways (like Boylston); however, I think she can excel in classical roles and, in fact, has a very classical style, despite a late start to her training and a non-traditional body-type for ballet. I can't see her at NYCB or SFB, as I think classical roles suit her much better than Balanchine. Her Coppelia with Herman Cornejo was excellent. She is a humorous actress. She has a great jump, and covers space despite being short. I would be interested to see her DonQuixote. And we know she excels in the jazz-influenced Tharp roles. She was well-reviewed in Firebird too.

Misty sells tickets and is bringing new audiences to the ballet. I think she's bringing popularity and coolness to ballet, like Barishnikov did with his pop culture goings-on. If they cast the Russians to sell tickets, can we really resent Kevin giving her a chance at Swan Lake for a week day matinee? I probably can't make it, but I'm excited to hear how it goes.

Wow. The mere notion of Gomes retiring anything has me flabbergasted. I suppose he is human after all.

I do agree with the commenter who suggested they didn't need to bring Kim in for Bayadere. Is he really such a ticket draw? Why not Whiteside, Gomes, or Hammoudi? Gomes is great with Seminova. But maybe he's finally tired.

Gomes said last year in an interview that he could no longer do Bayadere. I'm afraid he'll be "retiring" many other roles in the next few years.

DeCoster - Boylston does do Giselle with ABT. I believe she is cast in the spring. She debuted in the role last spring.

Hammoudi is replacing Whiteside as the lead in SB next week in the performances in Cal. I think that will tell a lot about whether he is suitable for promotion. So far I have not been impressed, but I think ABT needs more tall, strong men as principals, and he fits that bill. I thought it was very interesting that they taught Hammoudi the role of Siegfried and he performed it once in Australia. However, they did not cast him again in that role for the spring. That isn't exactly a vote of confidence from management.

Boylston is doing Giselle with Hammoudi at the May 23 matinee. She debuted in that role at the Met season last year with Whiteside.

Hopefully, Whiteside recovers from his injury (assuming he is injured) quickly.

From my vantage point, ABT seems determined to make Hammoudi into a principal despite his unimpressive turns in principal parts and his recurring injuries (yes I know dancers get injured, but he seems to be out more than others). Though I'm all for giving folks second chances, I haven't seen any development from him. Maybe he's a late bloomer.

I agree that ABT needs more tall, strong men as principals. I'm a broken record on this point - why haven't they been giving Forster any opportunities? Talk about tall and strong and he's a gorgeous dancer.

Can anyone tell me when single tickets are available for online purchase for the spring-summer Met season?

Many of you probably got the same e-mail last night: "last chance to subscribe..." At the end of the message:

Join us for ABT's 75th Anniversary this spring! SUBSCRIBE TODAY for best available seats before individual tickets go on sale to the general public on March 22.

Over on the Met/ABT site, it says that prices might go up on March 29, depending on demand. I guess they'll see what's popular during that first week of single ticket sales.

Good to know it's a week earlier this year! I didn't subscribe because I want to actually pick my seat out for each performance. If I would have waited until the 30th, I might have had the higher prices!

He will be replaced in some of his 13 scheduled performances by the Mariinsky principal Vladimir Shklyarov, in “Giselle,” and by Leonid Sarafanov, a principal dancer with the Mikhailovsky Ballet, in “La Bayadère” and “The Sleeping Beauty.” It will be Mr. Sarafanov’s debut with Ballet Theater.

mad.gif This would have been a GREAT time to give one of ABT's actual soloists or corp member's a chance. Lord knows ABT's actual principal male roster is in dire need. Ugh, this company.

I feel sorry for Hallberg. I hope he can make a full recovery soon. But the lineup of replacements is absolutely incredible. Sarafanov and Shkylarov are among my two favorites. Let the season begin.

Now we must wait and see if Cornejo can return and if so, when.

David Hallberg is still on his way to recovery from injuries and will not be dancing at this MET season.

http://nyti.ms/1DV2VNP

From the Times: He will be replaced in some of his 13 scheduled performances by the Mariinsky principal Vladimir Shklyarov, in “Giselle,” and by Leonid Sarafanov, a principal dancer with the Mikhailovsky Ballet, in “La Bayadère” and “The Sleeping Beauty.” It will be Mr. Sarafanov’s debut with Ballet Theater.

So, I believe these 2 replacements make the number of guest artists 10 total who will be at the Met.

I'm quite speechless.

ABT has updated the calendar. Vishneva is getting Gomes for Giselle and R&J. Osipova's Giselle partner is now TBA.

Also, for some reason Bolle is no longer listed as Herrera's partner for her SB farewell. Mistake? Or is she saying goodbye with Nedak?

They still have not figured out who will replace Hallberg for Cinderella or Swan Lake.

And, Gomes gets opening night SB in NYC as Murphy's partner.

Looks like we may never get to see an Osipova -Hallberg pairing again. Such a pity, since they were so excellent together.

Update: Bolle partners Semionova for SL, Gomes partners Murphy in Cinderella.

Official release:

DAVID HALLBERG TO WITHDRAW FROM PERFORMANCES WITH

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE AT METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE

Vladimir Shklyarov and Leonid Sarafanov

to Appear as Guest Artists for 2015 Spring Season

Principal Dancer David Hallberg will withdraw from performances with American Ballet Theatre at the Metropolitan Opera House in order to focus on his recovery from recent injuries. It was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie. Hallberg was scheduled for 13 performances during the Company’s 2015 season at the Metropolitan Opera House.

Hallberg required surgery last fall for a recurring foot injury. “It is with great regret that I must cancel the ABT Spring season, but my complete recovery is of utmost importance,” said Hallberg. “I greatly look forward to when I am back on stage and ready to dance with ABT once again.”

Guest Artist Vladimir Shklyarov, a principal dancer with the Mariinsky Ballet, will replace Hallberg on Saturday evening, May 23, making his ABT debut as Albrecht in Giselle. Shklyarov previously danced Solor in La Bayadère with ABT in 2014.

Guest Artist Leonid Sarafanov, a principal dancer with the Mikhailovsky Ballet, will replace Hallberg as Solor in performances of La Bayadère on Wednesday evening, June 3 and Saturday evening, June 6, and as Prince Désiré in The Sleeping Beauty on Wednesday evening,

June 10. These performances will be Sarafanov’s first with American Ballet Theatre.

For additional changes and more information on American Ballet Theatre, please visit www.abt.org

David Hallberg is still on his way to recovery from injuries and will not be dancing at this MET season.

http://nyti.ms/1DV2VNP

From the Times: He will be replaced in some of his 13 scheduled performances by the Mariinsky principal Vladimir Shklyarov, in “Giselle,” and by Leonid Sarafanov, a principal dancer with the Mikhailovsky Ballet, in “La Bayadère” and “The Sleeping Beauty.” It will be Mr. Sarafanov’s debut with Ballet Theater.

So, I believe these 2 replacements make the number of guest artists 10 total who will be at the Met.

I'm quite speechless.

I wish that someone in the ranks could have gotten these too, but I understand it in this case. Hallberg's other slots were all opening nights, nights where he supplied the star wattage, or involved fly-by guest ballerinas who would need an experienced partner. At least the open slot for Swan Lake seems surely destined for someone in the ranks, as it's a sure seller anyway and with an in-house ballerina. (I'm not holding my breath for Giselle...but is there anyone at the corps level with whom Osipova has danced?)

I'm wondering if they will give Hammoudi the open slot for Swan Lake. They taught him the role and he did it once in Australia.

I'm also wondering whether Osipova's partner for Giselle might end up being someone from the Royal Ballet. This is pure speculation on my part. Alternatively, maybe Sarafanov? He will already have his hands full trying to learn the new SB.

Sorry California, it sounds a bit strange for me. If you know, please tell me the source of Marcelo's interview.

I saw his all performances of "Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake" in Tokyo last year. He danced the Swan/Stranger role seven times, almost every other day. However, far from getting tied, his dancing grew stronger and more beautiful. The Swan/Stranger role is much harder than Bayadere. I had never seen his such unlimited strength in MET season.

Actually, in MET season Marcelo works very hard, so he seems to control himself not to be injured and seems to be got more in reserve.

If he said he could not dance Bayadere, it seems to go for only ABT.

I hope he will dance Bayadere as a guest artist with other company.

Gomes made that comment in an interview for the documentary Anatomy of a Dancer. The final version has not been released. Perhaps others saw that rough-cut and could confirm that I was not hallucinating. And it's possible he could change his mind. But I don't see him on the cast list for 2015.

I have seen 4 of Marcelo Gomes's performances in Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake last September and I think he was brilliant in the role, absolutely fabulous and did not show any signs of weariness till the end.

But I see different qualities required in Solor in La Bayadere, so I understand that role might be too demanding if you want to show the audience the very best of yourself. I think Solor is much more difficult than Bourne's Swan, as this is a classical Petipa ballet and you have to have strict perfection as a classical dancer and in Bourne you don't have to be that strict, that is not a classical ballet anyway. (I love that work and have seen it more than 50 times)

Especially the Chabukiani variation in the Kingdom of the Shades coda needs perfection with that double assembles and bravura. I also read in a interview that both Manuel Legris and Laurent Hilaire decided to retire from this role when they were 35 years old because they thought they could not have that quality when they were in their 20's, although I am sure they could still perform that role.

I respect Marcelo's decision as well because, I am sure he could still do the role which would look perfect to the audience's eye but he might not be satisfied with the results he sees by himself compared from his younger days.