This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kent, Herrera and Reyes to retire during 2015 Spring season

It makes I wonder whether they could be persuaded to look up long enough to watch a ballet.

As for the canines, I have to admit that Alina Cojocaru's dog, Charlie, is pretty darn cute. I'm a sucker for photos of him.

After some time off with the family and my grandkids, I do so agree with your comment volcanohunter, but glad to say my grand-daughter at least is watching her ballet videos online, so even if she is not looking up at least she is appreciating ballet, guess that is better than nothing :happy: On this note, she showed me a performance I missed in CT, again, it seems Reyes maybe considering directing or staging? Plus looks like she has chosen her protégés to work with! From the ABT corps no less, Paulina Waski and Cameron McCune?

This shows beautiful technique, musicality and mime of these two whom we have seen little of at ABT, but hope to see more in the seasons to come or ... since Kent is back too .... perhaps Reyes back at ABT in some form so we don't have to miss her ... AD or coach ... wishful thinking on my part :flowers:

Thought Herrera retired and had her final performance back in her home country? But so glad to her still dancing ... it seems with these posts... Giselle no less! Not sure if this was her last Giselle though, either way I'm happy that she has found her way back home, wouldn't it be funny though if part of the tour is the US!? :wink: Looks like perhaps they're just retired from ABT?

<https://instagram.com/p/-NdrashSaQ/>

<https://instagram.com/p/-S4f-ZhSQN/>

Late to the conversation here, but I have to comment on the irony that we are finding out about Paloma Herrera's recent Giselle via the very media she believes tarnishes ballet (in this case instagram).

Considering her past, I also find her comments about media exposure a bit funny and ironic. The media loved Paloma Herrera when she was the teenage prodigy. Consider this quote from the Chicago Tribune (1995):

"The popular media have caught up with her, as well. Last year, Herrera appeared on the cover of the New York Times Sunday magazine delicately posed in the middle of a SoHo street. Vanity Fair has featured her twice and she also has appeared in Vogue and Harper's Bazaar."

So perhaps Herrera thinks her media attention was justified, whereas dancers that self-promote via social media have an asterisk next to their accomplishments. But if she thinks the self-promotion dancers do on social media "tarnish" one's career, why did she create a personal website (palomaherrera.com) which features an entire gallery of candid and performance shots? A lot of dancers don't have the resources to produce a professional website, but they use Instagram to show the same exact kinds of photos. Others, like Danil Simkin, use it in a more artsy way to document their surrounds and travels artistically. I don't see much of a distinction from a personal website, except that fans can comment and interact more readily.

It's interesting to contrast Paloma's end-of-career bitterness with Julie Kent who I notice is always supporting younger dancers on Instagram--including corps members--with the sweetest comments. I'm basically on Instagram for the dancers and a few West Coast friends who abandoned Facebook along the way. As opposed to tarnishing the dancers of ABT and NYCB, I feel it demonstrates their great humor, artistry, and camaraderie.

Late to the conversation here, but I have to comment on the irony that we are finding out about Paloma Herrera's recent Giselle via the very media she believes tarnishes ballet (in this case instagram).

For what it's worth, I learned of her farewell tour of Giselle through the Teatro Colón web site.

http://www.teatrocolon.org.ar/content/gira-despedida-de-paloma-herrera

It was mentioned on another thread. Perhaps I should have added the information here as well. After her farewell run of Romeo and Juliet in Buenos Aires, she and the Colón company performed Giselle in the three next largest cities in Argentina.