This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Hubbe's new Sylphide for Royal Danish Ballet

"It was a period of great inventions and research. Scientists and artists were breaking new ground. Moving my characters to this existing period open up so many possibilities”.

Well obviously if the scarf is poisoned in a chemistry lab at the University of Edinburgh, as opposed to a cauldron in the forest, it becomes a ballet about science. dry.png

Which would make it a first cousin to Frankenstein, where part of the message is "don't mess with nature"

Actually, long ago in Copenhagen, I've read that they switched the genders in "Le Spectre de la Rose." The Young Man contemplated the spirit of a female Rose. NOT the same kind of switch Bejart et al had in mind, but simply because the dancers at that time thought that having a male rose was ridiculous.

Actually, long ago in Copenhagen, I've read that they switched the genders in "Le Spectre de la Rose." The Young Man contemplated the spirit of a female Rose. NOT the same kind of switch Bejart et al had in mind, but simply because the dancers at that time thought that having a male rose was ridiculous.

Fascinating -- I'd not heard that.

How interesting -- I have to say that my first impression from the act one costumes was American Puritan -- rather like a production of The Crucible. The intensity of dark/light does seem like it could support a production of this work (in the way that the indoor/outdoor contrast works so well for earlier productions). I don't really get any additional gender conflict from these images, but they are just photos. Very curious to hear and see more.

The intensity of dark/light does seem like it could support a production of this work (in the way that the indoor/outdoor contrast works so well for earlier productions).

The thought that sprang to my mind was that it was like John Neumeier's Giselle in reverse. I'm sorry these pictures are so small.

http://www.hamburgballett.de/gallery/giselle1/1.htm

Wouldn't a problem with setting the first act in a puritanical community be that they generally don't dance? An exception would be Shakers, but they didn't marry. (I always get this maddening feeling at performances of I puritani, when the chorus starts singing "A festa! A festa!" to a tarantella.)