This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kennedy Center Honors for 2014

Lovette has danced Rubies at NYCB.

Peck and Angle have danced DAAG at NYCB.

Peck has danced Who Cares at NYCB.

I don't recall. Has Misty danced Tchai pdd before, or did she learn the role in order to take part in this broadcast?

added: Looked up Misty's ABT bio. She had previously danced Tchai pdd.

Sometimes it's a question of who is available, and, as far as partners are concerned, who people want to dance with. I imagine there's a certain amount of politics involved in some of the decisions, but I think if you take a look at who's appeared in the tributes to other artists (especially music) you'll find that these choices are quite unremarkable.

if memory serves, OTHER DANCES was a "wedding present" from Eugénie Delarova to Makarova, that is Delarova commissioned and paid for the dance; it was first shown at gala, perhaps to benefit the NYPL, as follows:

Other dances : The 1st and last pieces performed as duets; the others performed as solos. Chor.: Jerome Robbins; mus.: Frédéric Chopin (Mazurka, op. 17, no. 4; mazurka, op. 41, no. 3; waltz, op. 64, no. 3; mazurka, op. 63, no. 2; mazurka, op. 33, no. 2); cos: Santo Loquasto; lighting: Gilbert V. Hemsley, Jr. First perf: New York, Metropolitan Opera House, May 9, 1976, Mikhail Baryshnikov and Natalia Makarova.

source: Performing Arts Research Center. Program, gala benefit, Metropolitan Opera House, May 9, 1976.

i imagine it was most likely slated for ABT's rep. from the start but that the decision to take it into repertory only became a done deal after the first outing.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/12/08/the-37th-annual-kennedy-center-honors-to-air-tuesday-december-30-on-cbs-honorees-include-tom-hanks-sting/336758/

"A spectacular series of dance pieces in honor of Patricia McBride commenced with “Fascinating Rhythm,” performed by New York City Ballet principal dancer Tiler Peck, followed by “Rubies” pas de deux danced by New York City Ballet soloist Lauren Lovette and Boston Ballet principal dancer Jeffrey Cirio. Next, American Ballet Theater dancer Misty Copeland was sublime in the solo from Tchaikovsky’s pas de deux. Then, Tiler Peck returned to the stage with New York City ballet principal dancer Jared Angle for “Dances at a Gathering.” A rousing finale of “I Got Rhythm,” featuring all of the previously seen dancers as well as additional dancers from Patricia McBride’s company, The Charlotte Ballet, completed the stirring performances."

Why do I get the sad feeling that when it's finally broadcast on CBS all of this is going to be soooooo chopped up in order to save time like they did with Makarova tribute but only far worst.

Mearns danced Sugarplum over the weekend at NYCB, according to her twitter page. Although, I'm sure if she had been invited to dance at the KC tribute, NYCB would have given her the weekend off.

This is the second KC Honors in which Tiler Peck has performed. I know that Woetzel is a big supporter of Peck, and I think he is also part of the committee that selects the honorees.

Mearns was scheduled to dance Dewdrop on Friday but was replaced by Hyltin. Not sure if she has danced at all since the Nutcracker run started

She danced Sugar Plum Fairy w/Catarazo at the 1 pm on Sunday.

Tuesday's Washington Post had an article about an intemperate, mid-Honors show speech by the show's longtime producer.

The carefully orchestrated Kennedy Center Honors went off script Sunday when its longtime producer shocked the audience, including the center’s board of trustees, by announcing that he was being pushed out of his role.

Chairman David Rubenstein had just thanked the crowd for its generosity and thanked producers George Stevens Jr. and his son Michael, a traditional part of the annual celebration. Then Stevens came on stage and personally blamed Rubenstein for forcing him out after 37 years.

“We accept that this will be our last Honors,” Stevens said, as his son stood next to him. “This is our good night.”

Apparently

The bombshell stunned the audience, which gave Stevens an awkward standing ovation as he left the stage. But his announcement detracted from the remainder of the star-studded fundraiser

McBride had already been feted however, along with Hanks and Green, and I'm glad about that.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/12/08/the-37th-annual-kennedy-center-honors-to-air-tuesday-december-30-on-cbs-honorees-include-tom-hanks-sting/336758/

"A spectacular series of dance pieces in honor of Patricia McBride commenced with “Fascinating Rhythm,” performed by New York City Ballet principal dancer Tiler Peck, followed by “Rubies” pas de deux danced by New York City Ballet soloist Lauren Lovette and Boston Ballet principal dancer Jeffrey Cirio. Next, American Ballet Theater dancer Misty Copeland was sublime in the solo from Tchaikovsky’s pas de deux. Then, Tiler Peck returned to the stage with New York City ballet principal dancer Jared Angle for “Dances at a Gathering.” A rousing finale of “I Got Rhythm,” featuring all of the previously seen dancers as well as additional dancers from Patricia McBride’s company, The Charlotte Ballet, completed the stirring performances."

Why do I get the sad feeling that when it's finally broadcast on CBS all of this is going to be soooooo chopped up in order to save time like they did with Makarova tribute but only far worst.

Misty's solo won't be cut, as she's crossed over to pop culture status.

The inclusion of Tiler Peck is no surprise as she's a member of the Kennedy Center's inner circle, having recently starred in the KC-produced Little Dancer musical.

For those who don't know, Patty McBride was one of the honorees of the Kennedy Center, shown tonight on CBS. The show is worth well watching, both to see old clips of Patty and for Tiler Peck's outstanding performance in excerpts from Who Cares (old costumes, yay!) and Dances At a Gathering. Tiler is so remarkable, such an artist, it is always such a great pleasure to watch her. Unfortunately, they also chose to have Jeffrey Cirio (Boston Ballet) and Lauren Lovette do a few minutes from Rubies and Misty do a few minutes from Tchai Pas. This is the 2nd time I've seen Lauren do Rubies (the other time at YAGP with Herman Cornejo) and both times made me cringe. I also did not like her Sugarplum in Nutcracker this season. I'm not sure what's going on with her but she is not ready for prime time, IMO. I think she's being pushed too fast. And Misty in Tchai Pas? She looked leaden. Why not Ashley Bouder? Patty was a NYCB ballerina after all. For that matter, why not spritely Sarah Lane (if you're going to use an ABT dancer)? Anyway, the show was a loving attribute to Patty and well worth watching.

For those who don't know, Patty McBride was one of the honorees of the Kennedy Center, shown tonight on CBS. The show is worth well watching, both to see old clips of Patty and for Tiler Peck's outstanding performance in excerpts from Who Cares (old costumes, yay!) and Dances At a Gathering. Tiler is so remarkable, such an artist, it is always such a great pleasure to watch her. Unfortunately, they also chose to have Jeffrey Cirio (Boston Ballet) and Lauren Lovette do a few minutes from Rubies and Misty do a few minutes from Tchai Pas. This is the 2nd time I've seen Lauren do Rubies (the other time at YAGP with Herman Cornejo) and both times made me cringe. I also did not like her Sugarplum in Nutcracker this season. I'm not sure what's going on with her but she is not ready for prime time, IMO. I think she's being pushed too fast. And Misty in Tchai Pas? She looked leaden. Why not Ashley Bouder? Patty was a NYCB ballerina after all. For that matter, why not spritely Sarah Lane (if you're going to use an ABT dancer)? Anyway, the show was a loving attribute to Patty and well worth watching.

I believe that Ashley Bouder has been injured this fall (someone please correct me if this information is inaccurate). I am not sure about Sarah Lane's situation, but she could have declined their offer. Patty appeared to enjoy all four excerpts, and America got to see several leading dancers in some Balanchine classics. I'd say it's a win on all fronts.

I believe that Ashley Bouder has been injured this fall (someone please correct me if this information is inaccurate). I am not sure about Sarah Lane's situation, but she could have declined their offer. Patty appeared to enjoy all four excerpts, and America got to see several leading dancers in some Balanchine classics. I'd say it's a win on all fronts.

Pique Arabesque, Ashley was not injured in the fall (I saw her in several performances) and I just saw her last Saturday night as Sugarplum. I think she may have had a minor injury the first few weeks of Nutcracker after the debut night when she danced Dewdrop. I saw tweets from her from Rome,Italy about 1 week ago so it may be she wasn't available when the Honors actually happened.

The program was filmed a few weeks ago, so perhaps dancer availability had something to do with casting. I did love getting to see the short film clips of Patty dancing. She was one of a kind. And what I liked was that she seemed to be having such a wonderful time at the presentation. And not just when she was being honored. Every time the camera came on her (and it was often, as she was seated next to Sting!), she was smiling and clapping and seemingly to be thoroughly enjoying herself. Her wonderful smile was everywhere!

Pique Arabesque, Ashley was not injured in the fall (I saw her in several performances) and I just saw her last Saturday night as Sugarplum. I think she may have had a minor injury the first few weeks of Nutcracker after the debut night when she danced Dewdrop. I saw tweets from her from Rome,Italy about 1 week ago so it may be she wasn't available when the Honors actually happened.

Thanks for the clarification!

I thought Tiler was glorious and I loved Tom Hanks face after her performance. Such a genuine, awe-induced reaction. A good tribute. I thought Lily Tomlin's was weird to say the least.

Lily Tomlin is weird (in a great way), so I thought it was totally appropriate!

The program was filmed a few weeks ago, so perhaps dancer availability had something to do with casting. I did love getting to see the short film clips of Patty dancing. ...

The taping would have taken place on the 5th and 6th of December, to be precise, for those tracking dancer availability.

And having only just seen the broadcast myself, without replaying my recording of it, I remember the clips of her were the high points for me. They were too short! (And better shot than the performers at the Honors were, IMO, but that's what happens.)

As to sandik's question, there were a number of hard-to-read dancer's names for the Tom Hanks tribute in the fast-moving credit roll at the end, but I don't think what they did was included.