This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kennedy Center Honors for 2014

It's a rental. The full title of the event is Live Nation Presents: Jackson Brown.

Ah, Live Nation -- a world unto itself.

Heh. One thing I've always liked about the Kennedy Center is that it's a world unto itself, or at least a world where one can get away from pop for awhile. Not to knock Jackson Browne, whom I'd enjoy seeing for old times sake, but pop music has enough venues already.

According to today's Washington Post report on last night's program at the KC, the McBride portion of the tribute was introduced by actress Christine Baransky. Tiler Peck and Misty Copeland danced fragments of McBride's greatest roles. They were joined by other ballet dancers for a spirited rendition of "I Got Rhythm" by Balanchine (finale of ballet "Who Cares?"). Hopefully, it will all be shown on the telecast on Dec. 30. CBS, I think.

What relationship did Natalia Makarova have to Tiler Peck and NYCB? Likely shared repertoire. From the photos I'd have guessed Tchaikovsky Pas de deux, but there was no mention of a partner.

Edited to add: The NYT article mentions "Audacious ballet duets," and from this description and the costume, I'd guess Tchaikovsky PDD. Also with Baryshnikov on the panel, and the commercially available version on video with McBride and Baryshnikov, it makes the perfect NYCB/ABT hybrid, and practically because there has only been one male partner mentioned. I wonder if Angle danced with Copeland in Vail in 2011.

I wish it had been Mearns, since McBride trained Mearns, and someone from Charlotte Ballet, McBride and Bonnefoux's company, but that's not how these things work.

We could also ask what connection Christine Baranski has to McBride. Well, she was in the revival of On Your Toes at City Center a few years ago and that has a Balanchine/NYCB connection. I suspect that how the casting overall will play when this is broadcast nationally on network CBS December 30 has something to do with at least some of these choices.

I didn't realize "Other Dances" was not originally a rep work. From the NYT archive abstract of a November piece by Clive Barnes:

It takes all ways to make a ballet. The origins of Jerome Robbins's "Other Dances" are almost unexpected. It was created as a piece d'occasion for James Lipton's gala evening for the benefit of the New York Public Library on May 19 of this year. But the piece has outlived, triumphantly, the occasion.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=940DEFDE123EE334BC4F51DFB767838D669EDE

It wasn't a commission for ABT, as I'd always erroneously assumed.

I wish it had been Mearns, since McBride trained Mearns, and someone from Charlotte Ballet, McBride and Bonnefoux's company, but that's not how these things work.

No kidding!

One of the things that always entertains us about the KC Honors is how eccentric the tribute performances are -- content, artists, hosts and other speakers -- there is always one choice that leaves us shaking our heads.

Mearns danced Sugarplum over the weekend at NYCB, according to her twitter page. Although, I'm sure if she had been invited to dance at the KC tribute, NYCB would have given her the weekend off.

This is the second KC Honors in which Tiler Peck has performed. I know that Woetzel is a big supporter of Peck, and I think he is also part of the committee that selects the honorees.

Baryshnikov performed Other Dances with McBride during his year with NYCB, but of course that was after he premiered it with Makarova, who is so closely associated with the role. According to a flood of Twitters and Google-alerts, he is in London with his photography exhibit, but is also on the selection committee.

Mearns danced Sugarplum over the weekend at NYCB, according to her twitter page. Although, I'm sure if she had been invited to dance at the KC tribute, NYCB would have given her the weekend off.

This is the second KC Honors in which Tiler Peck has performed. I know that Woetzel is a big supporter of Peck, and I think he is also part of the committee that selects the honorees.

Mearns was scheduled to dance Dewdrop on Friday but was replaced by Hyltin. Not sure if she has danced at all since the Nutcracker run started

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/12/08/the-37th-annual-kennedy-center-honors-to-air-tuesday-december-30-on-cbs-honorees-include-tom-hanks-sting/336758/

"A spectacular series of dance pieces in honor of Patricia McBride commenced with “Fascinating Rhythm,” performed by New York City Ballet principal dancer Tiler Peck, followed by “Rubies” pas de deux danced by New York City Ballet soloist Lauren Lovette and Boston Ballet principal dancer Jeffrey Cirio. Next, American Ballet Theater dancer Misty Copeland was sublime in the solo from Tchaikovsky’s pas de deux. Then, Tiler Peck returned to the stage with New York City ballet principal dancer Jared Angle for “Dances at a Gathering.” A rousing finale of “I Got Rhythm,” featuring all of the previously seen dancers as well as additional dancers from Patricia McBride’s company, The Charlotte Ballet, completed the stirring performances."

It's not a matter of how fine Cirio is -- there are great interpreters of Balanchine in Seattle, Philadelphia, Miami, Seattle, etc. -- but whether there is any connection to McBride. I don't see in his Boston Ballet bio any mention of North Carolina Dance Theatre/the School, North Carolina, Charlotte Ballet, or Chautauqua, whereas Lovette grew up and was trained in North Carolina.

It's not a matter of how fine Cirio is -- there are great interpreters of Balanchine in Seattle, Philadelphia, Miami, Seattle, etc. -- but whether there is any connection to McBride. I don't see in his Boston Ballet bio any mention of North Carolina Dance Theatre/the School, North Carolina, Charlotte Ballet, or Chautauqua, whereas Lovette grew up and was trained in North Carolina.

This is the same issue I raised above re Copeland - no apparent connection between McBride and ABT or Copeland.