This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2014 Nutcracker BAM Season

I’m not sure what you mean by the baffling Arabian dance, but are you aware that Hammoudi was playing a eunuch being chased by sexually frustrated harem girls?

Is the Arabian dancer identified as a eunuch in the program? I never interpreted it that way -- I always just thought of him as a man harried by too many wives.

There's a hackneyed old theatrical trope/stereotype of an Ottoman harem eunuch portrayed as a bald, bare chested man who has lost all his body hair and is either muscled and carrying a sword or become fat due to castration. I don't know if this had any basis in reality, but the sight of a bald headed man in Turkish trousers in the Arabian dance signaled "eunuch" to me. Of course, they don't portray him as a fat man, but I don't think there'd be any other reason for the dancer in that role to wear a bald cap. Currently, the TV series Game of Thrones also features a eunuch character depicted as a bald, fat man who is involved in court intrigue.

There's a hackneyed old theatrical trope/stereotype of an Ottoman harem eunuch portrayed as a bald, bare chested man who has lost all his body hair and is either muscled and carrying a sword or become fat due to castration. I don't know if this had any basis in reality, but the sight of a bald headed man in Turkish trousers in the Arabian dance signaled "eunuch" to me. Of course, they don't portray him as a fat man, but I don't think there'd be any other reason for the dancer in that role to wear a bald cap. Currently, the TV series Game of Thrones also features a eunuch character depicted as a bald, fat man who is involved in court intrigue.

Is the Arabian dancer identified as a eunuch in the program? I never interpreted it that way -- I always just thought of him as a man harried by too many wives.

Ah. I don't think the behavior of the women fits your theory, though. They strike me much more (in their gestures and stage action) as angry, jealous wives who ultimately bond together and rebel.

So I've decided I'm going to make the trek out to Brooklyn, because I can't miss seeing Stella dance. I've never been to BAM, how are the seats in the back of mezzanine?

Sorry, Kaysta, that I can't help you on the seating, but I'm writing to say that I, too, can't miss seeing Stella dance. I'm going to both of her performances. We must never give up hope for her promotion!

I don't know about Stella. She joined ABT in 1996 and became a soloist in 2001. Then she's spent almost 14 YEARS as a soloist. And she must about 36 or 37 now, nearing retirement. In contrast, Misty joined in 2001 and became a soloist in 2007. Sarah joined in 2004 and became a soloist in 2007. Both Misty and Sarah still have some good years ahead of them but if Kevin hasn't promoted Stella in 14 years I don't think he will:(

It's tragic that promotion in this company is no longer merit based but reflects your press and media (print and social) presence. I only wish Sarah would develop a strong social media presence; then her future would be assured.

A good friend of mine gave me what I think is the best advice I've ever received -- when you engage in a discussion, assume good intentions. We all of us here have very passionate opinions about artists, and we will not all agree. But if we cannot assume good intentions, if we cannot disagree with courtesy, we are sunk. This applies to us all.

I don't know about Stella. She joined ABT in 1996 and became a soloist in 2001. Then she's spent almost 14 YEARS as a soloist. And she must about 36 or 37 now, nearing retirement. In contrast, Misty joined in 2001 and became a soloist in 2007. Sarah joined in 2004 and became a soloist in 2007. Both Misty and Sarah still have some good years ahead of them but if Kevin hasn't promoted Stella in 14 years I don't think he will:(

It's tragic that promotion in this company is no longer merit based but reflects your press and media (print and social) presence. I only wish Sarah would develop a strong social media presence; then her future would be assured.

Five years for Abrera, three years for Lane, and six years for Copeland. None of them has yet to be made Principal, regardless of their presence in social media or press.

Most dancers promoted to soloist rank do not make it to Principal in any company of size.

The last dancer to go up the ranks was Hee Seo. She had been cast more prominently and in hot seat performances, like when she was listed for La Sylphide to replace Osipova when HS was still a corps member. I don't see her as a great press or social media presence, and she bypassed all three.

Five years for Abrera, three years for Lane, and six years for Copeland. None of them has yet to be made Principal, regardless of their presence in social media or press.

Most dancers promoted to soloist rank do not make it to Principal in any company of size.

The last dancer to go up the ranks was Hee Seo. She had been cast more prominently and in hot seat performances, like when she was listed for La Sylphide to replace Osipova when HS was still a corps member. I don't see her as a great press or social media presence, and she bypassed all three.

You are absolutely right, Helene. None of these women have been promoted to Principal so I was jumping the gun. I'm afraid I have just grown weary of the intense buzz surrounding Copeland and have begun to feel her promotion is a foregone conclusion. Thank you for re-clarifying the situation for me.

Let's pray something like this doesn't hit those ABT and NYCB dancers who are principals

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/stage/2014/12/15/national_ballets_guillaume_ct_sidelined_by_knee_injury.html#

Most sad ....

And most telling as I believe that Cote has had an ABT presence in the not too recent past ...

I saw it when it happened to Jennie Somogyi. Awful to watch. She started crying and hobbled off stage.

I wonder if ABT will be taking JKO students to Calif when they move this production next year. Or, possibly using local Calif students from the new school being established there (or other local schools). Would be a shame for the JKO students but understandable if their families (and they) wouldn't want to be far from home over the holidays.

I don't see how they could take the kids from NY to California. The expense would be tremendous, as ABT would have to pay for transport and house the kid and a parent for each and every kid. Plus, the kids would miss school, possibly requiring tutoring services. I suspect they will use kids from California. Must have come as a real let down for the kids at the JKO School to know that their main performance gig will be gone.

First, housekeeping: threads in the company forums are for what you see, not to discuss critics. That belongs in the "Writing on Ballet" forum.

I'm afraid I have just grown weary of the intense buzz surrounding Copeland and have begun to feel her promotion is a foregone conclusion. Thank you for re-clarifying the situation for me.

As Dale put it,

I think trying to make sense of ABT casting/politics would make anybody testy smile.png

which is why I've deleted most of this discussion, which is less about the dancers than each other. (I apologize for missing most of it when "Last read"" went directly to the post to which I responded.) You'd think that Abrera, Copeland, and Lane were Callas, Tebaldi, and Milanov. Ballet is, unfortunately, more of a zero-sum game, but, seriously, at this level, these dancers all have plenty of fans and are dancing at a very high level. Plus, there are already a few threads specifically about promotions at ABT and the McKenzie School of Career Management and at least a score that have turned into the same discussion.

I don't see how they could take the kids from NY to California. The expense would be tremendous, as ABT would have to pay for transport and house the kid and a parent for each and every kid. Plus, the kids would miss school, possibly requiring tutoring services. I suspect they will use kids from California. Must have come as a real let down for the kids at the JKO School to know that their main performance gig will be gone.

PNB took their kid cast from Midsummer Night's Dream to London several years ago when they were performing at Sadler's Wells, and then took them back again to make a film of the production, but it was a seriously difficult undertaking, and I don't think it was during the school year.

Is the Ratmansky production full of kids, or is it a lighter version? (and what ages does it use?) I imagine it will be mostly cast in California, and yes, that will be an unhappy change for kids in the NYC school.

PNB took their kid cast from Midsummer Night's Dream to London several years ago when they were performing at Sadler's Wells, and then took them back again to make a film of the production, but it was a seriously difficult undertaking, and I don't think it was during the school year.Is the Ratmansky production full of kids, or is it a lighter version? (and what ages does it use?) I imagine it will be mostly cast in California, and yes, that will be an unhappy change for kids in the NYC school.

I think the Ratmansky version is less full of kids and the ones they use are older (in contrast, Balanchine's uses 2 casts of 41 kids ages 8-13.) Still that means that probably the only way JKO kids can perform is if the school rents out a venue (like in the summer). I think it's highly doubtful that the school would send children out for performances of Nutcracker.

So far there're 7 sold outs that I know of, and 3 of them belongs to Misty, actually all of her Nuts are sold outs. If she can maintain her box office draw during the Met season, I'd expect promotion announcement soon after the Met season.

off%20topic.gif Leaving aside whether or not Copeland deserves promotion for her dancing - a subject I have no opinion on, not having seen her dance - what about a hypothetical soloist of any race who is getting lots of outside attention, who essentially has a fan club, and is selling lots of extra tickets because of it. For an AD, what are the ethics of promoting that dancer for the sake of his or her bottom line, and by extension, for the survival of the art form?

So far there're 7 sold outs that I know of, and 3 of them belongs to Misty, actually all of her Nuts are sold outs. If she can maintain her box office draw during the Met season, I'd expect promotion announcement soon after the Met season.

off%20topic.gif Leaving aside whether or not Copeland deserves promotion for her dancing - a subject I have no opinion on, not having seen her dance - what about a hypothetical soloist of any race who is getting lots of outside attention, who essentially has a fan club, and is selling lots of extra tickets because of it. For an AD, what are the ethics of promoting that dancer for the sake of his or her bottom line, and by extension, for the survival of the art form?

Interesting that Copeland's Nutcracker shows sold out. Did they do any special advertising for those performances? Of course Copeland tweeting etc. about them might have been enough. I have no idea what KM will do in respect to making her a principal, but see no reason to promote her because she has outside attention. As a soloist getting cast in secondary roles and an occasional 1st principal role she can serve the function of being a ticket draw without being a principal dancer.

Interesting that Copeland's Nutcracker shows sold out. Did they do any special advertising for those performances? Of course Copeland tweeting etc. about them might have been enough. I have no idea what KM will do in respect to making her a principal, but see no reason to promote her because she has outside attention. As a soloist getting cast in secondary roles and an occasional 1st principal role she can serve the function of being a ticket draw without being a principal dancer.

True, although if that hypothetical dancer kept getting plenty of principal roles season after season, but not the promotion to principal, the AD's reasons would be obvious.

Part did numerous principal roles year after year until McKenzie finally promoted her to principal. I think she started doing principal roles from the time she was first hired as a soloist at ABT, and I believe it took seven years of doing principal roles before she was promoted.

Part and Seo have been the only two with whom McKenzie has not been parsimonious with leading roles. With Part, he was parsimonious with the recognition, although she seems to be delegated to the matinees that her fan base can't always attend.

In Seattle, I'm so glad Lesley Rausch finally got over the hump of getting the Sun. matinee singlet. After she finally got two, her first and second performances were very different until this season. The first tended to be conservative, but by the second, she started to expand and experiment. Now she has the confidence and *experience* to come in the first with that expansiveness, having mastered the pacing.

It's one thing to be a Vishneva or Semionva or Osipova and fly in for a single ABT Odette or Giselle, since they're dancing so frequently elsewhere, but it's no way to grow dancers, just a recipe to buy them already grown. It was a great surprise to see the soloists cast for two or three Nutcrackers, even if that was from necessity, not recognition. I expect each to have expanding fan bases in Socal next year when the production moves.

I have a question about the contracts at ABT. For the principal dancers, do they contract separately for the Met season, the Koch season and the BAM season. Is it possible that ABT did not particularly want to pay too many principals for the Nutcracker run, whereas the soloists and corps have an annual contract that includes all performances and does not require any additional compensation by ABT for the Nutcracker run. It is strange to open the playbill and see only four principal dancer photos in the BAM playbill. I have a hunch that the lack of principals for the Nut run has to do with monetary factors, at least in part.

Yes, McKenzie was not stingy in giving Part principal roles. He was just stingy in giving her the promotion she deserved in a timely fashion.

Returning to the topic at hand, Murphy was sublime last night. This Nutcracker is one of her best roles.

Saw the matinee. Too tired to write much, but I really didn't enjoy this version as much as I enjoyed the Balanchine (NYCB and PAB) and the Christensen version (Ballet West).

I hated the bees, even though the male dancers danced well. I just thought they took away from the flowers, which is usually my favorite part.

I hated the Russian dance. I thought it was too silly, not enough dancing. Especially compared to Ballet West's Russian dance, which was outstanding.

I didn't really like the Arabian dance. I kept wondering (because of this board) whether the male was suppose to be a eunuch or married. If he was a eunuch, I'd never have known that if someone hadn't said that here.

Things I enjoyed: the little mouse. That little guy had a boat load of energy and was adorable.

Stella Abrera. Add me to her "three fans" but she is just amazing. Her musicality and expressiveness blow me away. Every movement has meaning. She deserves a promotion, period. Honestly, I kind of hated this version of the Nutcracker until her and Hammoudi's PDD.

So I've seen four Nuts this year and I'd rank them as follows: NYCB, Ballet West, PAB, then ABT. Even gorgeous Stella couldn't save it for me.

Sarah Lane and Joe Gorak were, well, magical Friday night. Didn't see any of the problem partnering that was mentioned here. They looked comfortable and adorable together. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I love Ratmansky's Nutcracker. I find it incredibly moving and I think his snow flake interpretation is brilliant. I am very sorry to see it move across the country.