This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Short clip of Maillot's new "Taming of the Shrew"

I was hoping to find a review today of Maillot's "Taming of the Shrew," which premiered July 4 in Moscow. I did not find one, but I did find this article and dress-rehearsal clip. I love the bits they show! There's also some footage of Sergey Filin at the beginning.

http://en.itar-tass.com/non-political/739018

Can anyone identify the ballerina who first appears in the green robe, the one with the red hair? I'm guessing from the article text that it's

Ekaterina Krysanova or Maria Alexandrova, but judging from their profiles on the Bolshoi web site, I can't tell. Maybe the hair is confusing it.

thanks,

Sasha

Thanks for the clip. Liked the 'Bianca adagio' (16.23 - 22.16) with an innocently sensuous Smirnova a la Audrey Hepburn (replete with that wave of black hair off-setting the haunt of her eyes as much as the tantalising flow of her white summer dress) and an equally innocent Chudin as a surprisingly docile Lucentio in a grey suit ... and an oh, so gentle pursuit. Touching.

I remember an extended clip with Haydee and Cragun in that television series that Makarova hosted -- it felt a bit sunnier than the excerpt above.

I remember the Cranko version from performances with the Stuttgart as more or less totally a knockabout comedy--very sunny indeed--with bravura partnering (assuming there is such a thing, but I guess people know what I mean!)--I personally didn't care for it, but could not help admiring the tremendous vitality, charm, and charisma Haydee and Cragun brought to it. They were incredible stage personalities and had chemistry to spare when they danced together. I was quite surprised when ABT staged it years later and never saw that production.

(Based on the youtube clip I would love to see the Bolshoi do Maillot's version just to see those performances in the theater...Hope Krysanova brings of touch of her Katherine to her Kitri in NY.)

the clip linked above came up as: "this video is private". Any ideas what one could do about that? Or perhaps I am just "too late" and it has been taken down?#

There was a small ballet company in England, called, I think, Adonais, which also did a version of "Taming"; back in the 90s or early 2000s, I think. They do not seem to exist anymore.

I did not see it, but heard of it as I was looking around for ideas for my own version (with youths - which we did not do, after all).

I actually quite liked the Cranko version, which was excellently played by the dancers of the time. (I have not seen it since way-back-when)

-d-

the clip linked above came up as: "this video is private". Any ideas what one could do about that? Or perhaps I am just "too late" and it has been taken down?#

Nothing. You are too late. When I saw the posted link to the YouTube video I instantly knew that was a bad idea. Somebody who reads this forum contacted the Bolshoi, or even works for them or for Maillot. The same happened to the videos of the two recent ROH performances at the Bolshoi. The moment they were posted on the British ballet forum, not much later they were all gone.

Nothing. You are too late. When I saw the posted link to the YouTube video I instantly knew that was a bad idea. Somebody who reads this forum contacted the Bolshoi, or even works for them or for Maillot. The same happened to the videos of the two recent ROH performances at the Bolshoi. The moment they were posted on the British ballet forum, not much later they were all gone.

The link to video was circulating on Twitter as well, as were the ROH performances...For all one knows other venues as well. When these videos are unacceptable whether to Bolshoi or others who have rights to material, they are likely going to be tracked down pretty quickly one way or another. I confess it surprises--and pleases--me that so much remains publically available from Russia. (And I actually think it's smart of companies to have a fairly relaxed attitude, but I understand why there is more sensitivity about new work.)

The "survival" rates of such videos are extremely dependent on where the links are being posted. Doing this here, or on the British ballet forum, is almost a guarantee of their rapid extinction. Otherwise they may be available for a very long period of time. People recording at several Russian theatres do this with full knowledge of the management. And the whole (ballet) world is watching those Russian ballerinas. It is hard to think of better publicity. Every ballet goer knows that those YouTube videos are not at all comparable to seeing the performance in person and the availability of ballet recordings can only boost the numbers of ballet theatre patrons.

...And the whole (ballet) world is watching those Russian ballerinas. It is hard to think of better publicity. Every ballet goer knows that those YouTube videos are not at all comparable to seeing the performance in person and the availability of ballet recordings can only boost the numbers of ballet theatre patrons.

Exactly....