This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Swan Lake-Spring 2014

My negative opinion of Stearns' performance has nothing to do with makeup or lack thereof. It has to do with his lack of acting ability or engaement in communicating his story to the audience. If it were only as simple as a makeup job to solve his issue, that would be fantastic. Sadly, the problem runs much deeper.

That's exactly my point, abatt. The tutu scenario defies credulity. (On the other hand, he actually could have used more makeup, which isn't to say that it would have made a difference in his performance.)

Could Stearns or Whiteside partner Semionova Saturday? I have no idea about height, rehearsals, etc. Hammoudi or Matthews could take Aristocratic Rothbart.

If Whiteside is cast to partner Semionova in the Saturday matinee, I'll be glad to sell my two tickets.

Could Stearns or Whiteside partner Semionova Saturday? I have no idea about height, rehearsals, etc. Hammoudi or Matthews could take Aristocratic Rothbart.

If Whiteside is cast to partner Semionova in the Saturday matinee, I'll be glad to sell my two tickets.

They could cast Stearns w/ Semionova and Matthews for his third von Rothbart. Would they really give Gomes a third Siegfried? I guess anything is possible at this point and he could handle it.

I think everyone was looking forward to seeing Cojo's SL. What's going on. Very disappointed.

I can't tell you how bummed I am. This is the 2nd year in a row I bought a ticket to Cojocaru's SL only to have it cancelled. To make matters worse (no offense to Hee Seo fans) to have an international star replaced by the Hee Seo is ridiculous. Did ABT explain? Last year they imported Maria Kotchetkova.

I have my finger permanently attached to the refresh key, waiting for the other pointe shoe to drop -- Veronika and Roberto do the Saturday night SL? One can dream!

I'm seeing the matinee, but if your dream comes true, nanushka, I would cancel my evening plans and stay for the evening performance as well. We'll all be trying to get the few remaining good seats.

The timing of the Cojo cast change is annoying. It seems like they intentionally waited until after 5 PM today to announce the cast change the day before the show. Since you cannot exchange on the same day as the show, this left people about 2 hours to scramble to the box office in the hopes of exchanging a ticket, assuming you happened to have tomorrow's ticket with you.. As noted, this is the second year in a row there has been a Cojo. SL cancellation. And so we return to the same topic of ABT's male principal problem .

According to Roberto Bolle's instagram, Friday's show is an "extra" Swan Lake. Thus, I believe Hee and Roberto truly are doing a back-to-back Swan Lake marathon. Brutal!

Wow! Though I saw potential in Seo's black swan on Monday, I really can't imagine her holding it together for back-to-back Swan Lakes. The stamina just didn't seem to be there. It's the kind of thing I could imagine Murphy pulling off if she were at 100%.

Okay, so Cojocaru is out for whatever reason. Why do Bolle and Seo have to do a back to back? There are several other casts available. Not Murphy (injured) or Semionova (dancing the matinee). However, there is Herrera/Whiteside (Not glamorous I know...). Boylston/Simkin were excellent tonight and could repeat on Saturday night. There is also Part/Stearns but if Bolle is willing to do a back to back why not Part/Bolle? (they have already danced it together - a performance I missed years ago that by report was ravishing). Of course if Stella Abrera (a more natural O/O than Misty Copeland and stronger technician than Hee Seo) had been coached in the role/s then she could have stepped in with say Jared Matthews, Tom Forster or Eric Tamm...(cue violins playing the old refrain....)

Again a bewildering, head scratching choice from AD Kevin McKenzie showing politics and favoritism trumping artistic merit and common sense...

BTW: Corey Stearns has danced Oberon in "The Dream" and could fill in for David and perhaps Ms. Cojocaru might want to make up for her failure to dance "Swan Lake" by stepping in as Titania on opening night - Murphy shouldn't be dancing on an injured foot.

Makes you wonder if they will wait until after 5 pm on Friday to announce Hallberg's substitute on Saturday -- Whiteside or Stearns? I can't imagine they would put Gomes in again, what with his 3-day marathon the next week!

Stearns is now listed for Saturday matinee with Semionova.

Makes you wonder if they will wait until after 5 pm on Friday to announce Hallberg's substitute on Saturday -- Whiteside or Stearns? I can't imagine they would put Gomes in again, what with his 3-day marathon the next week!

Stearns is now listed for Saturday matinee with Semionova.

I see that Stearns is also now replacing Hallberg in The Dream next week.

https://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fapps.facebook.com%2Fslotomania%2F%3Ffb_source%3Dad%26ch%3Dafp%26afp%3D11%26cmp%3D10208%26P1%3Ddde03qeuwmwl9%26yb3_2_AllS_A_CI_A5-A11_Feb03_1%26src%3Dafp_11_10208%26sb_src%3Ddde03qeuwmwl9&h=VAQHdyAKy&enc=AZOyJZMc9_Tz0uEouHAhgSKZztWMD_uMuH4OwYO6N4hUbSWYONRivNStBevGccOkch2QG17x1PsdcqqLHIMw2CEr&s=1

I have my finger permanently attached to the refresh key, waiting for the other pointe shoe to drop -- Veronika and Roberto do the Saturday night SL? One can dream!

I'm seeing the matinee, but if your dream comes true, nanushka, I would cancel my evening plans and stay for the evening performance as well. We'll all be trying to get the few remaining good seats.

Why don't they just let Veronika danced Saturday night with Roberto?Unless they don't want to dance with each other.

Why don't they just let Veronika danced Saturday night with Roberto?Unless they don't want to dance with each other.

I can only hope the reason is that she's not available -- rather than that Kevin McKenzie thinks it's a better idea to have Hee Seo dance two nights in a row. Seo's really been pushed these last few years, while Part has been languishing in matinees with Stearns (and Whiteside, who's a stronger actor but a lesser dancer). It really makes me upset.

I doubt that Roberto wants to lift Part. Seo will be much easier for him to lift.

While the crowd was 100 percent behind Seo on Monday night, I'm not sure she will get the same reception tonight. People don't appreciate bait and switch games, and the vast majority of people will be completely unaware fo the casting switcheroo until they get to the Met tonight. Of course, the cancellation of Cojo is not Seo's fault.

What I'm wondering (among many other things, of course) is why they took Cornejo out of Swan Lake tonight. He's still set to dance The Dream Monday night. If Cojocaru for whatever reason bailed out of Swan Lake, couldn't they have put in Isabella Boylston to dance with Cornejo? If she is a fit with Simkin, surely Cornejo also can dance with her. I'm not sure actually that I've ever seen Cornejo and Boylston paired, but it seems reasonable size-wise. On the other hand, in the absence of Cojocaru and Cornejo, the ideal replacement would involve Veronika Part.

As to Misty Copeland getting to dance O/O in Australia, and the question of whether Sarah Lane will also get the opportunity, I'd just say that I would be much more interested in seeing either or both of them, rather than most of what's been on tap this week. I would have loved to see Veronika Part again, but I can't get out of work for the matinee. I love Gillian Murphy but I've seen her do O/O quite enough at this point. I've also seen Herrera, Semionova, Boylston do the role once, or more, and that was enough. I had a hard time imagining Alina Cojocaru as Odette/Odile, but I was intrigued enough to buy a ticket. IMHO, fresh approaches are definitely needed.