This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Megan Fairchild to Make Her Broadway Debut in "On The Town"

Although the physical production of On the Town (seen Friday last) is ugly--glaring, clashing colors and crude video projections, and my friend (who knows about these things) said the costumes were poorly constructed and didn't fit properly--it's a very entertaining show, though the scenes often play like quasi-burlesque skits. First time for me, too, hearing Megan's voice, and I don't know if she really sounds like that in person, but she projected a charming kewpie-doll voice to match her kewpie-doll face. I don't think there are any star-making performances in the show--Megan's already a principal and Jackie Hoffman already an accomplished comic (she got the biggest laugh of the night on Friday, ad libbing "I'm not supposed to work on Yom Kippur!")--but the ensemble is excellent and HIGHLY athletic! Two of the three principal sailors strip down to their shorts in one scene, if you like eye candy, and who doesn't?

Here's the link to the NYT review -- thank you for the heads up!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/17/theater/in-on-the-town-the-city-is-candy-colored-heaven.html?_r=0

As for Ms. Fairchild, whom Gabey falls for when he sees her picture as this month’s Miss Turnstiles, she looks and talks like the sugar-sweet girl next door that all-American servicemen once dreamed of. When she dances, though, she’s a goddess, that girl as she appears in their dreams.

I saw the show last night. Very fun and wonderful performances from everyone. The scenic designs are cheap looking, but they were serviceable. It was a rare treat to have a full orchestra. Megan did a terrific job and the audience loved her. Her voice in the show is similar to the speaking voice I have heard her use in various video clips at NYCB, so she is not feigning the cute little voice. For my money, I was blown away by the actress that played Hildy. Great voice, perfect comic timing and a charismatic stage presence. Jackie Hoffman had some terrific, scene stealing schtick. Go and enjoy.

As an aside, I saw former lead NY Times dance critic Anna Kisselgoff in the audience last night.

It's a gigantic theater. There is no possible way they can fill the house at full price, so I'm not surprised that a signficant portion of the seats are availabe at TKTS. I'm sure a high proportion of the seats were sold at a discount.

The second hour of NPR's On Point with Tom Ashbrook this morning will be on Seventy Years Of Broadway's 'On The Town," and will feature Ben Brantley, chief theater critic for the New York Times, Adam Green, theater critic for Vogue, contributor to The New Yorker and Vanity Fair, and son of Adolph Green, one of the original lyricists for the show, and Josh Bergasse, the choreographer. It can be heard live at 11 EST and will be archived later in the day. Go here.

Seventy years after its first production, “On the Town” is back on Broadway. We’ll look at the collaboration that led to the creation of this jubilant show.

I think Little Dancer has the potential to be critic-proof. The woman sitting next to mentioned that this was her fourth time seeing the show. Since then I've had conversations with several people claimed to have seen it two or three times and were still gushing about it. It's not a perfect show but audiences are truly moved by it.

I saw the show in September, and thought it was a lot of fun. Megan was wonderful as were the rest of the cast. So I can’t imagine not seeing Megan at the Tony awards.

I would certainly hope that the Tony Awards are based on performance. If award nominations are based on filled seats, seats sold at discounts, and shows losing money, then something is terribly wrong. As previously noted on here, it is a huge theater. Maybe the presenters should have chosen a smaller theater.

The problem is that if the show closes before the Tony awards, the reality is that the voters for the Tony award are less likely to bestow any awards on it. I suspect that it will get some nominations. The nominations come out in late April, I think. Let's hope it can hang on until Tony time in June.

Lots of competition in the Best Musical Revival category this season:

The King and I

On The Twentieth Century

Definitely they picked a theater that was ridiculously oversized.

I liked the show too.

Megan Fairchild has teamed with the Balancing Pointe podcast on a new feature called "Ask Megan," which will run every Monday. The first question was about what it was like to be in a Broadway show, and her thoughts about returning to NYCB full-time. She answered with a detailed description of preparing for the shows and spoke about her training regimen and how she is getting ready for the transition:

http://balancing-pointe.com/ask-megan-juliet-asks-about-a-typical-day-on-broadway/