This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

José Manuel Carreño to dance Don Jose in Petit's Carmen

Ballet San Jose:

JUST ANNOUNCED! Artistic Director José Manuel Carreño will dance the lead role of Don Jose in Carmen, May 9 and 10.

José Manuel Carreño, Artistic DirectorBallet San Jose Artistic Director and former star of American Ballet Theatre, English National Ballet and the Royal Ballet José Manuel Carreño will take the stage for the first time in more than a year for his debut in the role of Don Jose in Roland Petits Carmen, partnering Ballet San Jose Principal Dancer Alexsandra Meijer in the title role, in two performances: Friday and Saturday, May 9 and 10, at 8 pm.

Says Carreño about his upcoming performances: Luigi Bonino [who is staging Carmen for Ballet San Jose] asked me a few weeks ago if I would perform Don Jose and I told him no, that I have too many things on my plate right now as Artistic Director. But his request got under my skin because this is a role I have never danced and have long wanted to. I talked about it with Associate Artistic Director Raymond Rodriguez and we decided 'let's go for it.'"