This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Papinta Visionary Of Modern Dance

Good Afternoon. Pohso.

I am excited to learn more about your group and to discuss the topics of dance with other creatives in the industry.

The research that I have been intense on for the past three years is the very heart of Modern Dance and it's evolution throughout the years. Papinta, The Flame Dancer, is one of the dancers whose career spanned over 15 solid years from the late 1800's until 1907 when Papinta died on stage in Dusseldorf, Germany. Papinta was one of the first dancers filmed in history by Edison. She performed at the very large venues built by Oscar Hammerstein (I). Papinta danced in the first electrified performance in Chicago at the Chicago Worlds Fair in 1897.

Papinta did her own choreography, stage designs and special effects. Papinta is best known for her suspension of large amounts of fine silks during her performances to create illusions from nature and her use of glass, mirrors and lighting for special effects.

Since many of Papinta's dances are not archived properly, I have made it my mission to help the very large archivists in the US and across Europe, Cuba and South Africa to correct the records to accurately give Papinta the credit for her work. It is so exciting because each of the venues is so interested in having the proper credit given to her and to have their archives correct. I have even been invited to speak at some of these venues in New York and Paris.

My heart feels such gratitude. And when i see another dancer recreating one of Papinta's 15 years of unique dances, I feel such great joy.

I welcome feedback and comments. Thank you. Miigwetch for your time. I look forward to future interactions:)

Sincerely,

Cyrilla

cyrillabehrndt@gmail.com

Welcome to Ballet Alert!, cyrilla.

I've moved your post to the "Modern and Other Dance" forum. We are a site whose mission it is to discuss classical ballet, and that's the subject of most of the forums on this site, but we do discuss Modern Dance and other dance forms in this forum.