This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Les Ballets de Monte Carlo

Saw Les Ballets de Monte Carlo's Swan Lake Saturday night. (Left my program there so I don't know much about who I saw.) For me, the beginning 20 minutes or so were boring and they were losing me. Then, THEN, Maude Sobourin came on as Her Majesty of the Night (sort of a Rothbart; a role usually danced by Maillot's wife) with her two Archangels (I think that's what they were called). This was an amazing piece of choreography and dancing. Three evil, slithering, sexy bodies menacelingly intertwining and interlocking with each other as they danced, Her Magesty with a smile on her face as she enjoyed the javoc she was creating. To me they were so mesmerizing that I couldn't take my eyes off of Sobourin for the rest of the ballet. From then on I enjoyed the ballet. The choreography is classican but slightly contemporary and it works. The corps was ditzy and clever with unusual unswany moves. The pas de deux between the prince and the white swan was wonderful, and so different from what one is used to: not the emotional performance by Odette as tells her story, but two young people who are discovering that they're in love, full of glee and surprise.

Cut out those first 20 minutes and you've got something!