This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT To Unveil New Sleeping Beauty For 75th Anniversary

I've worked with notation (primarily Labanotation) for years, and I'm just thrilled to see people really mining the Stepanov materials. I've liked a great deal of what I've seen of Ratmansky's choreography, and look forward to seeing more, but this commitment to the historic record really warms my heart.

The historic record at a dropping off point from the years the notations were made and as much supplemental information in them and from other sources about the way different things were changed.

Had Balanchine lobbed the beginning and end off of "Apollo" after the 1920's, we might only have photos and review descriptions of the work, instead of several filmed versions and enough people who've staged and dance the longer version to have passed it on (and continue to stage the alternate version). Then there is the issue of style, as the notated steps are fit to bodies that look quite different than today's dancers and their current strengths. Sigh.

Oh, don't sigh -- these are the juicy topics!

I am sorry to see that so many tickets for the Segerstrom run remain unsold. Am I correct in thinking that Balcony seats are not on sale for the weeknight performances? We ballet nuts may be dying to see the production, but filling 3,000 seats in the Southland is a tall order. Hoping great reviews will give the box office a boost.

I am sorry to see that so many tickets for the Segerstrom run remain unsold. Am I correct in thinking that Balcony seats are not on sale for the weeknight performances? We ballet nuts may be dying to see the production, but filling 3,000 seats in the Southland is a tall order. Hoping great reviews will give the box office a boost.

The balcony (the highest level, ex-Tier 3) hasn't been put on sale for dance performances all this season, I think. So there's only three levels open (orchestra, orchestra terrace, and loge--or whatever they recently renamed them). I am a bit surprised given the article that says 60 local dance students are performing in the production--I thought that would certainly fill the seats.

It's one of those sad, self-fulfilling prophecies: you reduce the dance offerings because the "whole house" doesn't sell out, and then people don't want to come to your reduced offerings because they aren't seeing enough dance to get properly excited about it (and the crappy Ardani productions have certainly put off a lot of casual viewers, I'm sure).

The balcony (the highest level, ex-Tier 3) hasn't been put on sale for dance performances all this season, I think.

In that case I'll take it as a positive sign that Balcony tickets were put on sale for the weekend performances and that they have just been made available for Friday evening.

Actually, I was thinking the dates of these programs might have the opposite effect- ballet fatigue from too many performances programmed during the same time period. I'm not sure how much of the KC audience is made up of subscribers and local residents, but I think people may prefer to have their ballet performances more spread out over the course of the year. Also surprised that the KC has shoved so many of the ballet companies into slots in the dead of winter. I know DC winters may not be as brutal as other cities in the Northeast, but still...

I think you're right about the locals. My impression about buying single tickets to the KC (because I live 2,000 miles away) is that subscribers make up the lion's share of the audience. I'll go online the morning single tickets become available to members and find that much of the house is already sold to subscribers. But as a ballet tourist I know that I'm unlikely to travel unless there's a very attractive confluence of events.

Beauty (Jan 27-31) will follow right on the heels of the National Ballet of Canada's Winter's Tale (Jan 19-24), just as New York City Ballet (Mar 1-6) will move in right after the Mariinsky's Raymonda (Feb 23-28). This sort of scheduling could attract the potential ballet tourist.

http://www.kennedy-center.org/programs/newseason/

For once I am glad I live in Philly and not NYC. Will definitely be attending all four of those! I am dying to see A Winter's Tale.

It really is a shame that ABT doesn't videotape more often. When was the last time they put out a DVD? Gillian Murphy had a picture of the Le Corsaire and The Dream DVDs on her instagram, but those were a long time ago. Is that the last time ABT videotaped anything?

As another stupid winter storm is heading towards me, I am so so jealous of the folks who get to see SB tonight in warm sunny California. I really hope it's as awesome as it looks.

Actually, I was thinking the dates of these programs might have the opposite effect- ballet fatigue from too many performances programmed during the same time period. I'm not sure how much of the KC audience is made up of subscribers and local residents, but I think people may prefer to have their ballet performances more spread out over the course of the year. Also surprised that the KC has shoved so many of the ballet companies into slots in the dead of winter. I know DC winters may not be as brutal as other cities in the Northeast, but still...

Well presumably it wasn't necessarily "shoving" in all cases, but accommodating them when they're available and not dancing back home.