This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

American Ballet Theatre in Japan - Don Quixote (2011)

I found a video on the Chinese video sharing site Tudou of ABT's Don Quixote in 2011. The DVD was only released in Japan. I'm not a fan of this performance, but I thought I'd share.

Kitri - Yuriko Kajiya

Basilio - Daniil Simkin

Gamache - Alexei Agoudine

Espada - Cory Stearns

Cupid - Renata Pavam

Flower Sellers - Isabella Boylston, Sarah Lane

Queen of the Dryads/ Mercedes - Veronika Part

Don Quixote - Victor Barbee
Sancho Panza - Julio Bragado-Young

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/r15y71Jl4-4

This DVD can now be purchased on the official Japanese Amazon site. Excellent performances by Kajiya, Simkin and Part. Rare commercial, professionally filmed DVD of ABT. About 4,000 Yen.

Amazon.jp is also selling a Simkin in Japan DVD documentary. About 5,000 Yen.

Has anyone seen this? I just discovered it on Amazon. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be available in U.S.-compatible format. Why/when was this made, and why isn't it available for U.S. buyers? Has ABT been making films abroad that we don't know about?!

This Kajiya/Simkin Don Quixote was recorded at ABT's Japan tour several years ago. Simkin is hugely popular here and this was first broadcasted on TV. I haven't bought the DVD but went to the actual performance and also saw the broadcast. It was fairly a good one with Veronika Part as Mercedes and Cory Stearns as Espada although Simkin showed his partnering weakness. (I know now he has improved since then) The filming quality is good I think judging from the broadcast, as it was produced by NHK public broadcaster which is used to film Ballet.

I am not sure why it is not available in US but solmeretailers like HMV will ship it to US. Although it is NTSC region 1 format which is not compatible with US players you can still watch on your computer or otherwise with a multi region compatible DVD player.

Also there is a documentary DVD on Simkin available only in Japan.

This Kajiya/Simkin Don Quixote was recorded at ABT's Japan tour several years ago. Simkin is hugely popular here and this was first broadcasted on TV. I haven't bought the DVD but went to the actual performance and also saw the broadcast. It was fairly a good one with Veronika Part as Mercedes and Cory Stearns as Espada although Simkin showed his partnering weakness. (I know now he has improved since then) The filming quality is good I think judging from the broadcast, as it was produced by NHK public broadcaster which is used to film Ballet.

I am not sure why it is not available in US but solmeretailers like HMV will ship it to US. Although it is NTSC region 1 format which is not compatible with US players you can still watch on your computer or otherwise with a multi region compatible DVD player.

Also there is a documentary DVD on Simkin available only in Japan.

Thanks for the info! Sounds like it'd be worth getting a copy. I'll check it out. Would love, among other things, to have more video of Veronika Part's dancing, which is all too rare.

Here is a link to the retailer that ships this DVD to USA.

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Ballet-Dances-Classical_000000000040071/item_Don-Quixote-Simkin-Yuriko-Kajiya-American-Ballet-Theater-2011-Tokyo_5491142

And a short clip from this performance.

https://youtu.be/pArkyXAEZ_M

Other casts include Sarah Lane and Isabella Boylston as Kitri's friends, Renata Pavam as Amor and Veronika Part also as the Queen of Dryards. It does sound tempting.

Has anyone seen this? I just discovered it on Amazon. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be available in U.S.-compatible format. Why/when was this made, and why isn't it available for U.S. buyers? Has ABT been making films abroad that we don't know about?!

Yes, it is a lovely DVD, highly recommended. Kajiya and Simkin delightful.

There is also a Japanese Amazon. I believe the url is Amazon.co.jp. Then use the icons to get pages in English. They, too, sell a lot of DVDs unavailable in the U.S. They also have a pretty large range of Mariinsky performances you can't see elsewhere. There's a large shipping charge but I've found it worthwhile.