This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Winter season 2014 casting updates

I usually dislike Union Jack (too much boring marching), but I cannot resist the opportunity to see Mearns take over the MacDonald of Sleat role. I used to love Wendy Whelan in that role. So sad she is not cast in that or in one of her recent "signature" roles, After the Rain pdd.

I usually dislike Union Jack (too much boring marching), but I cannot resist the opportunity to see Mearns take over the MacDonald of Sleat role. I used to love Wendy Whelan in that role. So sad she is not cast in that or in one of her recent "signature" roles, After the Rain pdd.

From her instagram it looks like Whelan is still in physical therapy recovering from surgery.

Peck should be interesting in After the Rain though.

Very excited to be seeing Mearns in Diamonds after watching the lovely video recently posted by NYCB:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BGEG-yCv88&list=PL6nf62I-S4yI5KgOkkWk4dbFgCrgPIaJZ&feature=share&index=2

I'm not sure if this has been commented upon elsewhere, but I find the short videos produced by City Ballet to be beautifully filmed and edited, and they strike just the right balance between behind-the-scenes and performance footage. (Also, as someone who does not follow NYCB as religiously as ABT, I find the videos to be very informative and a nice way to familiarize myself with the various company members.) Dance companies often seem to lag behind in the field of online multimedia offerings, but I consider NYCB's videos to be among the best produced by any cultural organization.

It's odd that the video features the lovely J. Ringer in Emeralds, but they have not cast her in that ballet in any of the performances occurring before her retirement. It's a pity, because she was always very good in Emeralds. Based on past viewings, Abi Stafford is miscast in that ballet.

Nice to see Catazaro and Janzen moving up into some plumb roles. I guess they are in need of tall danseurs who can handle lead parts.

I am also sorry Jenifer Ringer will not be dancing in Emeralds. However, I am glad to see Teresa Reichlen was cast in Diamonds--I have been waiting for this for years! I notice there is no asterisk next to her name in the casting. Did she make her debut in this role out of town, like Kyra Nichols? Or did it happen in New York while I was in a fugue state?

Is Bouder doing Wrens? I know she dances big (Choleric!), but to me Wrens is a quintessential leggy, tall girl role.

According to Bouder's FB page, she is debuting in Wrens. As much as I love Ashley, I don't really see her suiting this role, either. I don't much care for her Choleric, she gets a little lost amongst the 4 couples whereas a tall girl stands out. Not sure why they're giving her tall girl roles. Is she going to do the Rubies soloist next?! The first cast of Union Jack was excellent, my favorite part is actually the entire first tattoo section. Sara Mearns had tons of energy in Macdonald of Sleat.