This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Winter storm fallout?

I noticed this article in the Links section, about the Maryland Youth Ballet production of Nutcracker losing money due to foul weather cancellations, and cringed for them. Several years ago Pacific Northwest Ballet had to cancel a couple performances of their Nut when Seattle was hit with a big snowstorm (that is to say, big for us -- we are snow wimps). It was a significant financial hit, and affected programming choices for the next couple of seasons. I've been seeing coverage of some pretty harsh winter weather in different parts of the country -- does anyone know of any other companies that are dealing with weather-related reduced audiences or cancellations?

I noticed that with the snow we had recently, the PNB website had a red notice at the top of the website to say that the day's performance(s) was on as usual. The year or two before the last major snow storm, which also hit the weekend before Christmas, there was a windstorm that knocked out power through a big swath of the Seattle/Eastside/Mercer Island region, which also impacted last-minute ticket buyers.

... a windstorm that knocked out power through a big swath of the Seattle/Eastside/Mercer Island region, which also impacted last-minute ticket buyers.

There was a big windstorm opening night of the Kylian and Pite program this fall -- power outages all across the northeast part of town (we had just sat down to dinner -- excellent timing!). I made to it to the theater, but left the house extra early, to allow for all the uncontrolled intersections with no traffic lights.