This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mathilde Froustey

pherank

The Carmen is interesting, but to be honest, I don't it really shows her at her best. I much prefer this bit from Manon.

It is quite often repeated that Froustey is a par excellance "White Classics" ballerina. I have second thoughts about that. I saw her around 20 times and found her probably most attractive in Ratmansky's «Trilogy» where she was dancing her own part and, after an intermission, also Messmer's part who she was substituting for that evening. Finesse and light touch she is always bringing in when she is on stage made certain crude mannerisms of the choreography look a lot more appealing.

The Vimeo channel "Loulou loves ballet" has five high-quality Froustey videos that have been uploaded in the last six months: Don Q, two Giselles, Grand Pas Classique, and Nutcracker pas.

In my post I meant these. They are all several months old and I am afraid we will not have any more from the War Memorial Opera.

It is quite often repeated that Froustey is a par excellance "White Classics" ballerina. I have second thoughts about that. I saw her around 20 times and found her probably most attractive in Ratmansky's «Trilogy» where she was dancing her own part and, after an intermission, also Messmer's part who she was substituting for that evening. Finesse and light touch she is always bringing in when she is on stage made certain crude mannerisms of the choreography look a lot more appealing.

I agree, and I think that's what Tomasson was seeing as well in her demo videos. He must have had the feeling that Froustey could bring something to the modern ballets as well. I'm sure he is betting that she will continue to grow as a dancer, given the right coaching. Her interview with Amélie at Danses avec la plume makes me think that, yes, she may still learn more and more. There are no guarantees though, but she is surrounded by hard working, focused dancers, and that may be just what she needs.

Allan Ulrich's online article, with photos, that also appears on the SF Chronical website:

http://www.sfgate.com/performance/article/Mathilde-Froustey-from-France-to-S-F-Ballet-5600595.php

http://www.sfchronicle.com/performance/article/Mathilde-Froustey-from-France-to-S-F-Ballet-5600595.php#/0

A p.r. piece - nice photos - but not nearly as revealing as the Dances avec a plume interview.

Thanks for linking the danse avec la plume interview, it was extremely long but very interesting.

I'm very happy for her! It seems she's being given space to grow at SFB, which seemed a bit lacking at POB. I think they passed up a future great. Her technique and presence are phenominal; though she's known for modern and romantic works, I think she'll be splendid in the big classical roles when she gets there, and I hope she does soon! I imagine her O/O will be gorgeous, warm, subtle and unique.

Mathilde Froustey is dancing with Royal Ballet's Steven McRae in Allegro Brillante this week (and in Martínez's Raymonda Divertimento) - with the Compania Nacional de Danza in Madrid. She only recently learned Balanchine's Brillante, for SFB's Paris tour this past July. I can remember her commenting in the press that it was rather difficult to perform.

It should be a great experience for her, dancing with McRae.

Mathilde Froustey answers the Gramilano Questionnaire… Dancers’ Edition

http://http://www.gramilano.com/2015/06/mathilde-froustey-answers-the-gramilano-questionnaire-dancers-edition/

What do you consider your greatest achievement?
A few years ago, when I organized a performance of Don Quixote in the village my father is the mayor of. My father wasn’t very much involved in my practice of dance when I was a kid and I was very moved when we shared this dance project.