This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2015 US Tour

mussel

Since I'm only interested in Veronika Part's Swan Lake I'll be at that and the next evening at the RB Ashton/MacMillan. I continue to be frustrated however, that they (Koch box office per RB instructions) wouldn't let me exchange my seat when I purchased it long ago but now that it's not selling well perhaps I can move myself closer innocent.gif

Drew. the video is of Morera, Kish and Watson.

The end of season mixed bill included performances of Song of the Earth. T

Big and very embarassing oops--Apologies to Watson...I will correct and note that you pointed it out.

The Royal Ballet sent out the following tweet (yesterday) about the mixed bill:

Thinking of seeing our Mixed Programme 2 when we visit #NYC? Here's what to expect ^E http://bit.ly/1K16JB7

Here is the full link in case the above does not work:

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/divertissements-ballet-essentials-a-guide-to-short-works-performed-by-the-royal-ballet-on-their-2015-us-tour

It does sound a rather eclectic collection of bits and pieces (all 20th-21st century in keeping with tenor of the NY programming), but is at least a chance to see a range of dancers.

I attended the Sunday matinée of the Royal Ballet ' s Don Quixote, and not only did Osipova dance, with the dashing Matthew Golding as Basilio, she was absolutely brilliant, with no sign of holding back because of injury. I hadn't seen the Royal in more than forty years, so I was very amped to see what they are like these days. They may still be Royal, but they are no longer an English company - their dancers are from all over the globe - and while the ensemble dancing is strong, there is no longer a distinctive English style.

Carlos Acosta's production gives the stars so much to do, the grand pas de deux at the end was almost anti-climactic. And after so much exhilarating dancing, solo and together, Osipova and Golding took on a slightly mannered style that seemed not in keeping with the rest of the performance. But they did it in spectacular fashion, despite the conductor, who also arranged the score, giving them little musical support. The accompaniment for the male solo was particularly wan. They were both amazing in the coda, with Osipova tossing off beautifully centered double fouettés like they were nothing. The applause was thunderous.

There were a number of substitutions among the solo roles, so I'm not sure of who was who in all cases, but Fumi Kaneko was excellent as the Queen of the Dryads, despite a slight bobble. Tiny Francesca Hayward was delightful as Amour, with the best runs on pointe I think I've ever seen.

Carlos Acosta's production looked a bit over-populated at times, and some of the comic bits fell flat, but he gives you plenty of dancing for your money. It's sad that the Royal was only in Chicago for the weekend. Years ago, they came often, and played to sold out houses for two weeks or more. I understand that the costs are enormous, and the logistics are nightmarish, but surely the Royal is overdue for a major North American tour.

Well the Royal Ballet never was an English company its dancers came from all over the world but its international nature was not obvious because nearly all the company members had British surnames.In the early days what gave them their unity of style was that although their training was not uniform they were willing and able to adapt stylistically. The dancer's adaptability and the dominance of Ashton's choreography created the company's " English Style". I am not sure how suitable that style would be in Acosta's Don Q.

I note that it is being reported that the tour is selling poorly and the consensus seems to be that it is repertoire and publicity (or lack thereof) which seems to blame. I don't think I have seen any mention of ticket prices as a possible disincentive. I would be interested to know how expensive the RB tickets are on this tour compared to other companies performing at the same time. Are they more expensive ?

I'm also curious as to how that compares to what it costs to see them back here in the UK. The top prices here are quite steep (and worse next season) but the price spread is quite wide (even if the cheaper tickets have poor sight lines). Is there the same variety in the venues they have been performing at in the US ?

Just for the record, when NYCB came to London (quite a few years ago now), I knew many people who were keen to see them but the prices at the time caused a sharp intake of breath. In terms of visiting companies here, the Dutch National Ballet is bringing Wheeldon's Cinderella to the Coliseum next month. Prices for that range from £80 in the stalls to £10 in the balcony - seems to be selling well.

Re prices. RB tickets when I bought them in the Fall were considerably cheaper than equivalent tickets at the Met where ABT is dancing or at the Royal Opera House. For example, I paid $80 for seats in the orchestra, a bit towards the back, a bit towards the side, but still excellent. I believe I paid more for the same seats when the Mikhailovsky was at the Koch theater. Don't know if prices went higher after that--some companies use dynamic pricing...

I think the rep hurt RB ticket sales. ABT has done the Dream numerous times, and has received great reviews. RB is not necessarily considered the be all and end all regarding Ashton anymore, especially in New York. The mixed program is just bizarre. Age of Anxiety was not well received, and McGregor is not exactly a big draw either. I'm not surprised the tickets didn't sell well.

...ABT has done the Dream numerous times, and has received great reviews....

Although I'm looking forward to seeing the Royal dance the Dream (and, fingers crossed, Osipova as Titania) it did occur to me that this was one Ashton that ABT does on a somewhat regular basis and, across different casts, does very well; in the case of certain cast members such as Cornejo as Puck, even....incomparably well.

That said, I still want to see it and I'm genuinely eager to see Song of the Earth which I have never seen. (I have watched much of it on video.) I am aware that this revival got some critical responses-from fans at least-but I do just want to see the ballet one way or another.

For Scarlett: I would much rather they had brought Asphodel Meadows than Age of Anxiety, but I assume the company felt it had to bring works that were performed this season and were determined to bring a Scarlett. And one never knows: New York may have its own response to the work...

I'm rather curious as to whether the collection of 20th-century bits (the divertissements part of the Scarlett/McGregor program) is going to be interesting/fun or disconnected/draggy...

I note that it is being reported that the tour is selling poorly and the consensus seems to be that it is repertoire and publicity (or lack thereof) which seems to blame. I don't think I have seen any mention of ticket prices as a possible disincentive. I would be interested to know how expensive the RB tickets are on this tour compared to other companies performing at the same time. Are they more expensive ?

I'm also curious as to how that compares to what it costs to see them back here in the UK. The top prices here are quite steep (and worse next season) but the price spread is quite wide (even if the cheaper tickets have poor sight lines). Is there the same variety in the venues they have been performing at in the US ?

Just for the record, when NYCB came to London (quite a few years ago now), I knew many people who were keen to see them but the prices at the time caused a sharp intake of breath. In terms of visiting companies here, the Dutch National Ballet is bringing Wheeldon's Cinderella to the Coliseum next month. Prices for that range from £80 in the stalls to £10 in the balcony - seems to be selling well.

The orchestra (stall in ROH) seats are $65, $100, $140, $175

1st ring: $65, $80, $100, $140

2nd ring: $65, $80

3nd ring: $45, $65

4th ring: $25, $35

4th ring doesn't open if there're still plenty of seats in the lower rings.

To compare prices across the plaza with ABT Swan Lake at the Met

Orchestra: $60-$155

Parterre: $105-$235

Grand Tier: $155

Grand Box: $70

Dress Circle: $80

Dress Circle Box: $40

Balcony: $$45

Balcony Box: $25

Family Circle: $20-40

Orchestra & Grand Tier standing room: $35

Dress Circle standing room: $25

The Met has 4,000 seats, Swan Lake is sold out or close to sell out for many performances. While the State Theater where RB performs has about 2,600 seats. The RB prices are very reasonable and even cheaper than ABT's across the plaza, even cheaper with the aforementioned discounts. So price is not a factor for the poor box office showing. I think the major factors are the reps and the competition from ABT. The Ashton/McMillan mixed bills are selling better than the other mix reps. McGregor & Scarlett are simply not a big draw.

I'd have bought more RB tickets if ABT is not in residence at the same time or if the programs are more compelling. An all Ashton program is very compelling in my book. RB should have bought more Ashton ballets not already performed by ABT. I bought a ticket to one of the mixed reps on Sunday (when ABT is not performing) just for the divertissement portion of the program.

Drew.It will be interesting to read what you think of The Song of the Earth and of Golding and Osipova in the Dream,perhaps they have improved since last year when it seemed that their appearance in that work was more about showing off the company's newly signed principals than their suitability for the roles of Titania and Oberon. The choice of ballet for their company debut was bizarre. It might have made sense if it had been Muntagirov who had been cast as Oberon but Golding is so unlike Dowell and is so much slower than him that it merely served to draw attention to what he could not do. Osipova might have been better with another partner but I am not sure that the role of Titania is the obvious starting point for someone with no experience of dancing Ashton's choreography.

As far as Song of the Earth is concerned there are some ballet goers who seem to find any twentieth century music difficult and some of the adverse comments about the performances in March came from them and those who while they can handle some twentieth century music, early Stravinsky for example when he is pretending to be other composers, draw the line at music with classically trained voices. The programming did not help as Song was placed at the end of a mixed bill which, while it began and ended with an acknowledged masterpiece,lacked contrast and had at its centre a very earnest new work called Untouchable. It felt like a very long evening a bit like eating a meal in which every course is made from the same ingredients.It looked as if rehearsal time for Song had been sacrificed to getting Untouchable on stage or perhaps it was just that inadequate time was allocated to rehearsing the corps many of whom seemed to be new to their roles.

The performances at the end of the season were far more assured.The casting of the three principal roles was much improved by the absence of Soares who, in March,had lacked stamina and struggled with the role of the man.It will be interesting to see whether MacRae dances the Messenger of Death. I have not seen him in the role. As Pennefather did not dance in Song at the end of the season it will be quite surprising if he does in New York.All the casts have something to be said in their favour but the cast with Morera and Watson is the best and the cast with Nunez the least compelling. Acosta can just about manage the role of the Messenger but Nunez gives the impression that she does not know what the ballet is about as she grins throughout. MacMillan said that without the dancer's facial expression the ballet was just movement but he did not mean that the Woman should grin all the time.

The other programme contains works by two choreographers in whom O'Hare has great faith.They are part of his plan for the Royal Ballet's future. I imagine that he is not best pleased that he has been forced to fill the middle section of the programme with choreographic "odds and sods". I expect that all the dancers who appear in Voices of Spring will fail to recognise that it is a send up of a certain sort of gala piece. It should be danced with the tongue well and truly in cheek. Unless of course Park and Eagling failed to understand that it was a serious gala piece like Thais.

Although I'm looking forward to seeing the Royal dance the Dream (and, fingers crossed, Osipova as Titania) it did occur to me that this was one Ashton that ABT does on a somewhat regular basis and, across different casts, does very well; in the case of certain cast members such as Cornejo as Puck, even....incomparably well.

Cornejo's Puck made me fall in love with this ballet. I'm not even kidding. He's magnificent in this role.

Anyway, I tried to convince my non ballet fan to go see RB instead of ABT's Swan Lake but she simply wasn't interested. She wanted to see "the Swan Lake" no matter how poor the staging is. If RB had came earlier or later this year, the sale could've been better.

I hope Osipova is performing as scheduled earlier. Thank you On Pointe for the review!

Re prices. RB tickets when I bought them in the Fall were considerably cheaper than equivalent tickets at the Met where ABT is dancing or at the Royal Opera House. For example, I paid $80 for seats in the orchestra, a bit towards the back, a bit towards the side, but still excellent. I believe I paid more for the same seats when the Mikhailovsky was at the Koch theater. Don't know if prices went higher after that--some companies use dynamic pricing...

I paid $80.00 in the Fall for Second Ring, first row center, which I consider to be an excellent viewing place for ballet. About the equivalent of Grand Tier at the Met in terms of distance from the stage, etc. Actually, it's probably closer. The State Theater is just a better venue when it comes to dance than the Met. Going Wednesday. Looking forward to just seeing the company after such a long time in between visits.

Anyone trying to decide whether or not to go to the mixed bill of The Dream and Song of the Earth might like to note that the next two performances of Song include dancers in the three main roles who get to the heart of the ballet.Both Morera and Cuthbertson are exceptionally fine in the main female role and the Messenger of Death is one of Ed Watson's finest roles. For me Song is MacMillan's masterpiece.His full length works pale into insignificance when compared with it and if the company were to perform it every year I should be very happy.

Speaking as someone who has no difficulty in listening to music with a vocal element I was nevertheless deeply unhappy with recent performances of Song of the Earth, perhaps if the dancers understood what they were doing and performed the steps a little more accurately the work might have made a better impression on the increasingly philistine RB fans. I saw two casts and roughly agree with what Ashton Fan said. Watching Acosta side by side with Soares in the ballet's opening movements I deeply regretted it was Acosta retiring rather than Soares who in my opinion has never been an asset to the company.

The Osipova/Golding pairing is frankly bizarre as they are physically a poor match. In The Dream she at least seemed to know what Titania was all about and I had the feeling I was actually watching a supernatural being; it was a very exciting debut. Golding wasn't the first Oberon to go galumphing around the stage I'm afraid, perhaps McRae is the only one to currently give a good account of the role.

As far as Voices of Spring goes, it was actually created as a party piece in the opera Die Fledermaus. Park and Eagling were filmed in it at the time and a video of what they looked like (presumably dancing in the way the choreographer required) exists, though I don't know if it has also been released on DVD. It was considered at the time to be Ashton's response to Soviet pieces such as Spring Waters and has always been a popular gala number since.